PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 3520 "B" is out

Doug Jones
08-30-2005, 11:12 AM
The highly talked about lathe is finally on the market.

Since no linking is allowed, just do a search and you'll find it

Bruce Page
08-30-2005, 3:12 PM
Since no linking is allowed, just do a search and you'll find it
Doug, unless the rules have changed, you can link to another website with the exceptions of your own website, EBay, and other woodworking forums.

Charles McKinley
08-30-2005, 3:18 PM
Here is the section from the terms of service:

3. External Linking
Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are
encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing,
generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed
to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

Rick Prevett
08-30-2005, 5:34 PM
'Links to other public or private forums are not allowed.'

This is the one I could never figure out. What's wrong with linking to another forum?

Jeff Jilig has an excellent review of this lathe on 'another forum'. I guess you have to guess which one that is.

Chris Barton
08-30-2005, 6:26 PM
His post is at the American Association of Woodturners and is a good review.

Charles E. Martin V
09-01-2005, 11:34 AM
I thought the "B" wasn't supposed to be out until October? My rep has been telling me stories again I guess.

Doug Jones
09-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Doug, unless the rules have changed, you can link to another website with the exceptions of your own website, EBay, and other woodworking forums.

Because of the "rules/regulations and the various interpetations on the rules" on this board, I wasn't sure what is allowed. So I thought it best to play it safe and just post a generalized posting.

Jim Becker
09-01-2005, 9:15 PM
Ok...enough of all that!! What are the new features of the "B" version, Doug??? This has always been a great machine and I'd love to learn what's been changed/improved...

Doug Jones
09-02-2005, 5:00 AM
What are the new features of the "B" version, Doug??? ..

Jim, venture on over to the AAW forum and see the posting by Jeff Jilig. I still am not sure if what they changed is quite worth the $500 difference between the "A" and the "B" models. Especially sence they didn't address some of the issues that were mentioned by "A" owners.

Jim Becker
09-02-2005, 8:24 AM
Yes, I've already done that, Doug. I thought perhaps you'd record the information here in SMC so it's searchable in the future. Method to my madnes... ;)

Doug Jones
09-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Yes, I've already done that, Doug. I thought perhaps you'd record the information here in SMC so it's searchable in the future. Method to my madnes... ;)

Sorry about that,,,my bad. Here is what I was able to get from the review.

RPM: a new RPM display readout on the headstock facing the turner

Headstock: top of the flat headstock now has a slight recess across the entire top, which holds a rubber corrugated mat so you can put stuff up there (nice idea)

Controller: a different controller on the back, not substantially different from the old one

Indexer: built-in indexer on the inboard side of the spindle on the headstock

Tailstock: crank was chromed and slightly redesigned

Legs: supporting legs have an additional set of brackets providing the ability to more easily build a shelf underneath the bed

Legs: threaded holes on the outside areas of both sets of legs

Legs: threaded holes on inboard side allow for 18" bed extension to be mounted low so that large bowls can be turned

Legs: threaded holes on outboard side of headstock had an optional toolshelf mounted on those legs

Banjo: has lateral slots running across the whole banjo on both sides

Banjo: those slots provide a mounting point for an optional sliding dusthood for use during sanding (kinda neat)

Brackets: the tailstock and headstock have mounting brackets which extend away from the turner, where they allow a spindle to be mounted for reference during reproduction spindle work

Locks: redesigned "locks" at end of each bed to prevent headstock and tailstock from sliding out (can be retrofitted on current model)

Banjo: was keyed/slotted in the toolpost holder - so that a keyed toolpost could be inserted, thus locking the toolpost so there is absolutely zero rotational slippage

Headstock: has been chamfered in one area - the entire edge right near the spindle...allowing for easier access to the turning very close to the spindle

Headstock: the belt/sheave door is now spring loaded instead of being held by a threaded knob

Quill: on the tailstock is laser etched allowing for an easier visual gauge of how far the ram is being moved

Tailstock: now has a storage door in the existing big cavity facing the turner

Stock toolrest: has a steeper bevel along the top of the toolrest, allowing for the turner to drop their toolhandle lower and still have contact with the top of the toolrest

Slide Hammer: chrome knockout slide-hammer provided for knocking out a drive center

Features which were unchanged:
- spindle lock is the same
- 2HP motor is the same
- knobs and levers all exactly the same
- same colors, and the rest of the lathe was the same

And I say again, is this enough to justify the price difference?

Jim Becker
09-02-2005, 12:14 PM
A healthy portion of the price increase may also be due to the cost of iron/steel and the exchange rate now that old stock is likely exhausted. All of the tool manufacturers are suffering from that...