PDA

View Full Version : Old lathe ID?

Tom Deutsch
11-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Hi All -
I wonder if anyone recognizes this old lathe. I know I've seen this design before but it doesn't seem to be a Delta, Sears or MW design (at least by my search on the Googles). Going to pick it up this afternoon (unless the bearings are rattling LOL) since it's a decent price and the motor is a newer Baldor. I've always wanted to try some turning, so I figured what the heck. the seller says he cannot see any brand markings on it.

Garth Almgren
11-05-2015, 10:30 AM
I found an eBay auction (191555669153) with one that had the same tailstock, and they thought it was a Craftsman but weren't sure either. The headstock was open on top though instead of being enclosed. The winning bid was $20, with $45 for shipping.

I do love the art deco look of it. :)

Kyle Iwamoto
11-05-2015, 11:48 AM
There is a woodturner forum here too. I'm sure if you move or re-post there you'll find out what it is. It don't look familiar to me, but I'm a new guy.

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Tom, do a search for a Sears Dunlap lathe - model 103.0603 made in 1941. Looks the same as the photo you posted.

Tom Deutsch
11-05-2015, 1:51 PM
Steve - "Dunlap" was in the back of my mind. Thanks for the ID.
I picked it up. Unfortunately, it wasn't too heavy for me to pick up. I doubt it will be the most stable lathe, but maybe I could make some chips with it. Oh well - it was an interesting lunch trip anyway. I generally can't complain about my "old arn" finds over the last couple years, so I won't whine too hard about this one. Maybe I'll paint it chrome or aluminum to match the deco look.

Aaron Craven
11-05-2015, 2:08 PM
...Maybe I'll paint it chrome or aluminum to match the deco look...

I kinda like the blue... :D

Tom Deutsch
11-05-2015, 3:14 PM
I kinda like the blue... :D

Well, Aaron, I know where you can get a blue one of these ... special today out of the back of my car. :cool:
Yuck yuck yuck. Anyway - for you experienced turners out there - what am I likely to encounter with this quality setup? I'll probably be turning some designs into some barn dried ash I have. That's probably a "non-starter" question. I'll wear a helmet and eye protection - is that a good start? ("Hey, looky what happens when I turn this spinny thing on!")

John Vernier
11-05-2015, 3:41 PM
I'm using an old Delta Rockwell 11" lathe of similar vintage, and about the same weight - I can pick it up under one arm when it's not bolted down. So, bolt it down! I made a cheap and simple stand for mine, sort of like a giant saw-horse made from 2x6 construction lumber, with the motor slung underneath. I am quite pleased with how stable and vibration-free the thing is. I've been turning 24" stool legs from fairly heavy ash blanks split and hewn from the log, and these are a lot less balanced than blanks sawn out neatly and square. My wooden stand seems to absorb a lot of the vibration and I don't need to put sandbags on it or anything. I haven't tried turning a big bowl blank yet, but these sorts of lathes aren't made for swinging anything too monstrous.

Marvin Hasenak
11-05-2015, 9:35 PM
It is a Sears Dunlap, look at the 3 horizontal stripes on the headstock and tailstock, that was a trademark of those lathes. I have 2 of them, you have to keep oiling the bearings, there should be oil holes in the top of the headstock. 3 in 1 oil works for me, my neighbor said to use some of the new synthetic oils, but I have not run out of 3 in 1 Oil yet so I still use it. They are fun to play with as long as it is spindle type work. There are faceplates available, I have them but only use mine occasionally to show new callmakers that they do not need all of the bells and whistles to make duck calls, that any old lathe will work.

Rodney Walker
11-20-2015, 12:17 AM
That's what my daughter's lathe is. The others are correct that it's a Dunlap, an old Sears brand. 5/8" solid head and tail stock. Shopsmith accessories fit. They use bronze oilite bearings. IIRC somewhat of an odd size but they're easily replaced if needed. McMaster Carr carries them. It's not a bad beginner lathe. Probably the biggest issue is there's no Morse Taper on the head or tail stock so accessory choices are limited without modifications. The tail stock just functions as a dead center. I haven't found any live centers to fit the solid tail stock spindle.
I was using it earlier this evening to turn a walking stick. It actually does pretty well on spindle work and smaller diameter items. It's currently set up with a 1/2 HP 1725 RPM motor. That seems about right for it. Bolt it to a heavy base like any lathe benefits from and it should do ok.
Rodney