PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Recognize the Brand of These Tools?

Matt Schrum
11-05-2015, 8:12 AM
A guy on Craigslist in my area is selling a bunch of woodworking equipment including lathe tools-- I just got into woodtuurning this year and I feel this would be a good way to quickly expand my collection. In his description he merely stated "Raffan & Sorby, 15 total". For the life of me I can't find tools by Raffan elsewhere on the internet to do a pricecheck. I can find plenty of videos and books, but only a single skew-- nothing else.

I recognize the red Sorby script on a few tools in the center. Does anyone recognize the handles on the other tools? Anyone willing to venture a guess on what a fair price would be for the lot?

Thank you for your help!
-Matt

Dan Masshardt
11-05-2015, 8:18 AM
Raffan is a signature line of tools made by Henry Taylor in England. Those are all good tools. If the price is right buy the lot!

I don't know if the others are all part of the raffan series or not but those others are Henry Taylor handles.

Barry McFadden
11-05-2015, 9:16 AM
Here's something I found if it helps.. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=tools-tayl-raff

Robert Willing
11-05-2015, 9:24 AM
My advice would be to set-up an appointment and go look at the lot. I see some of the tools have something etched info on them. This would give you an idea of what they really are for sure. Based on the handle style I would guess PSI but one thing for sure handles are copied every day. I received a Packard Woodworkers catalog yesterday and they had a good selection of many manufactures, not sure if it is the same on the web, but now in the catalog Raffan handles are rosewood color. They also feature Henry Taylor and Sorby.

Reed Gray
11-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Those handles look like the 'Artisan' house brand from Craft Supplies. The on line catalog only had pictures of the tool metal, and not the whole tool and handle. They were the first tools I got. Pretty good steel.

robo hippy