PDA

View Full Version : Lyptus dresser for our grandson

John Gregory
08-30-2005, 10:31 AM
This is the inspiration peice (http://www.eagleamerica.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_408%2D1104) Note the round spot on the right side of the dresser in the first picture was from a spot on the camera lense.

We modified the plan we purchased to meet our grandson's wants for this dresser. My wife turned the bun feet. I wanted to show the dresser to you before the stain went on. Our grandson wants it stained dark. I will post more pictures when the project is completed. Over all we liked working with Lyptus. It did take its toll on planer blades, splinters easily and is very heavy. But it mills up beautifully. We are considering using it to reface the vanity in one of our bathrooms.
Thanks for looking
John

Jim Fancher
08-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I was showing my boss the feet on the dresser when I went back and read that your wife turned them. Very cool! That's a beautiful dresser.

Roy Wall
08-30-2005, 10:36 AM
John,

You guys did a great job! I like it- congrats!!!

Yes - that Lyptus is splintery stuff allright!!!:eek: :)

Donnie Raines
08-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Way cool. I have worked with Lyptus once or twice...it seems to work pretty well.

Steve Clardy
08-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Hey thats nice.
I've got some sample pieces that a salesman brought some time ago. I like the color.
Just haven't figured out what to build with it.
It's higher in price than red oak, but may be worth it. Less defects, great color.

Keith Burns
08-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Great looking piece ! Can't wait to see it completed.:D

John Gregory
08-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Hey thats nice.
I've got some sample pieces that a salesman brought some time ago. I like the color.
Just haven't figured out what to build with it.
It's higher in price than red oak, but may be worth it. Less defects, great color.
Steve, I think I paid 50-60% more than Red Oak. It does not cost as much as cherry or Mahogany. We have done a lot of work with Red Oak and this was a nice change. And you are right, we found fewer defects and straighter pieces. Less waste I think.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Don Baer
08-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Nice piece and I like your modified version more then the original.

John Gregory
08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Nice piece and I like your modified version more then the original.

Thanks Don, We thought the orginal looked like a changing table with the raised back.

Greg Scott
08-30-2005, 12:03 PM
John,
Your piece looks much better than the inspiration piece.
Great job
Greg

Aaron Montgomery
08-30-2005, 1:19 PM
Great piece! Much nicer than the original. Be sure to post pictures when it's finished!

Thanks for sharing.

Jamie Buxton
08-30-2005, 1:23 PM
What are the back panels? Did you find lyptus plywood, or are they resawed bookmatched lumber?

John Gregory
08-30-2005, 1:47 PM
What are the back panels? Did you find lyptus plywood, or are they resawed bookmatched lumber?

The panels are 1/4" lyptus with MDF core. It is my understanding that they do not make Lyptus plywood, just the MDF core product. I resawed some Lyptus to make some test pieces for staining. It was easy to resaw.

Jim Becker
08-30-2005, 3:17 PM
Beautiful piece, John!

Vaughn McMillan
08-30-2005, 3:27 PM
Very nice, John. I like the fact that it was a joint effort, too. I wish I could get LOML to play in the shop a bit. My ex is a pretty good woodworker/carpenter, but the current GF has no interest woodworking.

- Vaughn

John Gregory
08-30-2005, 3:32 PM
Very nice, John. I like the fact that it was a joint effort, too. I wish I could get LOML to play in the shop a bit. My ex is a pretty good woodworker/carpenter, but the current GF has no interest woodworking.

- Vaughn

I am very lucky that my wife loves this hobby too. Her artist talent adds a lot to this kind of work. We work well as a team. We compliment each other.

Jason Tuinstra
08-30-2005, 3:46 PM
John, very nice job. I like how you finished the back as well. Though it won't be seen, it's a sign of real craftsmanship.

scott spencer
08-30-2005, 5:43 PM
That's looking great John....can't wait to see some finished pics!

John Miliunas
08-30-2005, 5:56 PM
Well done, John! Very clean looking and I particularly like the beading. Excellent piece and good teamwork!:) Yeah, my wife and I compliment each other, too. I compliment her cooking and she compliments my woodworking. Seems to work out OK!:D :cool: :)

Keith Christopher
08-30-2005, 7:23 PM
VERY NICE. I love the look og Lyptus but I HATE the splintering !

Lou Morrissette
08-30-2005, 9:09 PM
Very nice piece, John. Nice clean design. Good job.

Lou

Peter Pedisich
08-30-2005, 9:34 PM
John,

I think you improved on the inspiration piece in several ways- and like others I really like the beading, I'd like to try that.
Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Mark Singer
08-30-2005, 10:28 PM
John,

Very nice work!!!! Excellent!

Michael Perata
08-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Nice work John!! :)

When I first started using Lyptus 2 years ago they shipped mostly VG stock, now I am gettng a lot of plain sawn wood.

I have found the pricing a lot less than red oak (Northern California). I bought 250 BF in June and paid $3.45 (avg of 8/4, 6/4 & 5/4).

Also, make sure you start finishing the wood ASAP, it oxidizes very fast.

John Gregory
08-31-2005, 1:38 PM
Nice work John!! :)

When I first started using Lyptus 2 years ago they shipped mostly VG stock, now I am gettng a lot of plain sawn wood.

I have found the pricing a lot less than red oak (Northern California). I bought 250 BF in June and paid $3.45 (avg of 8/4, 6/4 & 5/4).

Also, make sure you start finishing the wood ASAP, it oxidizes very fast.

My wife is putting some poly on the insides and sides of the drawers now. This Saturday will we apply the stain, then top coat it. Details will follow next week. Thanks for the interest.

Dick Strauss
08-31-2005, 3:12 PM
John,
The project turned out very nice. Your attention to small details shows in your great results. You could have chosen drawers where poor gaps are often hidden by drawer fronts. Instead you put it all of you (and your wife's) craftsmanship out in plain view.

Beautiful wood choice, nice even gaps, nice edge bead detail,...I could go on!

If the Amish had a little more flair and had access to lyptus, I might expect to see this piece for sale in Amish country.

I can't wait to see it finished!