PDA

View Full Version : USA Woodwork shows

BobW Robinson
11-04-2015, 9:35 PM
I am thinking of making a visit to the US next year. What would be considered to be the "must see" woodwork shows for woodworkers. I notice that a couple of the journals and retailers have their own shows, but I have not been able to locate any major show. I would be looking for the usual things - good representation of the tool and hardware vendors, demos, etc. Look forward to hearing what people think. Regards.

John A langley
11-04-2015, 11:31 PM
IWF in Alanta Georgia August 24 to the 27th the bigs show in the country

BobW Robinson
11-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Thanks John. Just had a look at their web site. Unfortunately this is a trade show not open to the public. Will have to keep looking.

Curt Harms
11-05-2015, 6:42 AM
Aside from IWF that John mentioned, The Woodworking Shows is the only one I'm aware of.

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/shows.htm

I've not been to IWF or the one in Las Vegas (they alternate years) but I'm of the impression that the target audience is woodworking businesses, not hobbyists. The woodworking shows seem to cater more to the part timers/hobbyist. I'm sure there are displays of interest to hobbyists at IWF but I get the impression that hobbyists are not the target audience. If you were to register at IWF as Robinson Woodworks I doubt they'd check very carefully if such a business existed.

There used to be a second traveling woodworking show that some felt was more informative - I don't even recall the name now - but they folded a few years ago. Like other retailers, the internet has reduced the demand for physical shows and shops.

Wade Lippman
11-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks John. Just had a look at their web site. Unfortunately this is a trade show not open to the public. Will have to keep looking.

Is the IWF open to the public?
"No. IWF is open only to industry trade, professionals, and serious woodworking enthusiasts."

I presume you fall into one of those categories.
I went to the one in LV a few years back. While 75% of it was industrial, it was still fun to look at.

I have never been to a smaller show. Do interesting companies go to those that skip the IWF?

Don Orr
11-06-2015, 10:13 AM
If you're here in early April we have a great local show in Saratoga Springs, NY. This is our 25th year and there will be some excellent demonstrations. Lots of vendors and wood for sale too.

http://www.nwawoodworkingshow.org/

Rich Riddle
11-06-2015, 2:47 PM
Bob,

First off, where will you be visiting in the United States?

Erik Loza
11-06-2015, 5:53 PM
IWF is open to the public. You need to register, rather than "just showing up". There's no ticket booth or box office.

I highly recommend either IWF or AWFS to any ww'ing enthusiast. It's the best chance to see it all (and more) in relationship to this industry.

Erik

John Sanford
11-06-2015, 6:13 PM
I am thinking of making a visit to the US next year. What would be considered to be the "must see" woodwork shows for woodworkers. I notice that a couple of the journals and retailers have their own shows, but I have not been able to locate any major show. I would be looking for the usual things - good representation of the tool and hardware vendors, demos, etc. Look forward to hearing what people think. Regards.

IWF / AWS is a must if you can make it, just bring good walking shoes. You'll see equipment that is larger than most shops. Wear really good walking shoes. Other than that, I would want to make it to Woodworking In America if possible, although I don't think they've settled on the venue yet, they'll be announcing it next week. Last, if you're into turning at all, the Utah Woodturning Symposium is one of the largest in the country, it will be in Provo, UT May 12-14, 2016. Don't forget to look north of the border, there may be some shows up there as well.

BobW Robinson
11-06-2015, 7:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Re where I will be visiting - I have been to the States several times over the years and would consider putting an itinerary together around a show if it was a good one. Not during a northern USA winter though. Did Boston in winter once; that was enough. Will check out some of the recommendations and see where that leads.

Rich Riddle
11-06-2015, 8:44 PM
Bob,

One of the shows happens in Atlanta in summer. That won't be like Boston in winter, I promise. The "Woodworking Show" doesn't offer much to see. Depending on where you select you might be able to visit some shops or manufacturers. Grizzly is a wonderful place to see if you visit Missouri or Washington State. They have a room where you can "test drive" the machines and the owner belongs to this site.