PDA

View Full Version : Noguchi Table Buy or Build

Scott Coffelt
08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
So I showed my wife a reproduction of the table this weekend in a local furniture store. She absolutely loves it and would like to have one. Part of me feels I should buy the table out of respect for the original designer and another part of me feels I should try and make my own reproduction (or close to as I do not have the patterns so it would be based on eyeballing a drawing and guessing on the exact deminsions) also in respect of the original designer. One of my concerns is the cost to have the glass itself made, as it is 3/4" glass with beveled edges and a curves. I am guessing in the neighborhood of $400+ for the top without first checking. There is not much wood in the design, which is why I like it so much and the fact that it is a piece of functional art. The store locally has it under $800 complete.

I know awhile back Mark had it as one of the Design Critique items. Entertaining opinions. Also any suggestions of what would fit from a side table perspective? The neat thing about this piece is you have some many options for other tables. For those that remember my birdseye maple/purpleheart/ebonized oak tables I think the curved pieces would compliment. If I get a chance tonight I will attach some pics.

Thanks

Bart Leetch
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
A reproduction is a reproduction & if you can save about $400 why not?

Buy another tool with the other $400.

Jamie Buxton
08-30-2005, 12:24 PM
At only $800, that table in the store is probably not an officially-licensed version, but more likely an unlicensed knock-off. I think that you would be showing more respect for the design and the designer by making your own. You'd be studying Noguchi's design, trying to see what he was doing, and maybe be trying to improve it according to your taste. Studying a master is quite respectful.

Jim Becker
08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
I have to agree with Jamie, whether it's an official one or not...building not only gives you the satisfaction of pleasing the boss, but it is also an opportunity to learn something new. Emulation of a "master" for your own personal use is a nice way to pay compliments to the original designer/builder. Some, like Thos Moser, even encourage it by publication of working drawings, etc.

Keith Burns
08-30-2005, 12:34 PM
The way I look at things like this is:

1. Do I have the ability to build the item.
2. Will I enjoy building it.

If I answer "Yes" to these two questions then I do it myself. If I answer "No" to either question, then I buy it.

By the way, I was born in Gardner and still have family there. ACME Floor in Lenexa is a customer of mine. Still get up there once or twice a year.

Scott Coffelt
08-30-2005, 12:56 PM
I personally have been leaning towards the build mode, as I would rather study the piece and learn from it. As far as a sanctioned piece or not, I had not looked close at enough yet. My understanding is that a piece sanctioned would have his signature in the glass edge and a medallion on the bottom. Is anyone aware of where I may find more detailed drawings of this piece? I see subtle details to it like the slightly raised curvature of the bottom, etc. I was looking for more the size of the base. I have the overall dimensions already. Thanks, BTW Herman Miller produces sanctioned pieces for about $1200.

Keith, I work in Gardner and live in Olathe. I quite enjoy this area. From what I understand, it is one of the fastest growing areas in the country. For those that pass through occasionally, or may want to some day. I read that Olathe has approved the addition of a 110k sqft Bass Pro Shops store, less than 2 miles from my house... not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing for me at least... I don't do too much outdoor gaming and the traffic will expand dramatically. We already have a huge development about 20 minutes from here that includes Cabella's, Race Track, Nabrska Furniture Mart, etc. and is growing in leaps and bounds and may include the NASCAR Hall-a-fame some day. Our baseball team stinks, but other things are going great for the city.

Dan Racette
08-30-2005, 4:07 PM
Didn't mark singer build one? I thought I saw him post about it a while back.

Scott Coffelt
08-30-2005, 4:43 PM
I think that was the design critique, he usually designs stuff himself.

Don Baer
08-30-2005, 4:48 PM
Scott,
You might PM Bill Marchem and ask him the demensions. He owns one.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15747&page=3&highlight=Naguchi

Scott Coffelt
08-30-2005, 8:30 PM
Thanks, I see he has chosen to not have messages sent to him. Maybe he will contact me. I specifically would like to know the length of the base or more details on it. I found a line drawing of the table and can expand once I have a couple of key dimensions.

Alan Turner
08-31-2005, 4:17 AM
Scott,
I would build instead of buy, but you may get sticker shock on the glass at 3/4". In 1979 I built my office desk, which has a 3/4" glass top, 28" x 68", with radiused corners, at perhaps a 4" R. I think it was $600. When I moved the office in 1995, the movers dropped it, and had to pay for a replacement, and it was, again, about $600. One with an irregular shape may well be more.
The first one was hand planed, of course. (:

Mark Singer
08-31-2005, 8:01 AM
It is a pretty easy table to build...You can even changee it a little....chose woods it is not available in...make it unique to go beyond just the cost saving and make it a "one of a kind"

Dan...I never made one...it was posted in Design Critiques...why not its a classic!

Dan Larson
08-31-2005, 8:13 AM
Hi Scott,

I have the Herman Miller original sitting in my living room. I'd be happy to take some measurements for you. Let me know which dimensions you want.

By the way, I want to reinforce a sentiment that you voice in your original post. I think it's important to be respectful of the intellectual property rights of others. Since you don't plan to sell your version of the table, I don't see this as an issue if you built one. On the other hand, buying a less expensive knock-off of the table directly undercuts the person who conceived of the design (Noguchi) and the company that paid him for the design work (Herman Miller.) I think our fellow SMC'ers who make their livings by selling their creative ideas would agree with this sentiment.

Dan

Scott Coffelt
08-31-2005, 9:39 AM
Agree totally with the whole intellectual property thing. That is why I posted, I figure the table will cost me close to the knock off (which is what I assume it is) version. So in the end cost really isn't the factor, but more so is it right to make a version, and no I have no intention of making and selling a piece like this... purely for my enjoyment. I do like the idea of maybe changing up the wood. I'll mull that over. I figure I need to make a pattern of the top based on what I think it looks like and then get a glas quote. I know the stuff is like gold.