PDA

View Full Version : cut then engrave in same file

Jamie Olger
11-04-2015, 5:22 PM
Question- We have RDWorks, and we've cut things before but how can we set it to cut and engrave at the same time without setting up a new job? I keep seeing tutorials that it says the lines need to be different colors, red one, black the other, but it's not really working, any insight would help, thanks! Using inkscape to design.

Bert Kemp
11-04-2015, 5:51 PM
If it says using dif colors to do it and its not working whats going on. are your lines set to hairline? are they unfilled?

Ron Gosnell
11-04-2015, 6:24 PM
Hi Jamie,

If you look at this screen shot I have a square to cut out and text to engrave.
Once in RDworks you select the object and then tell RDworks what to do with it.

I made the square black and set black to cut.
I made the text red and set red to scan (engrave)

You can select an object and give it a color by clicking on the color squares below and then tell RDworks what to do with that color.
If you have multiple colors you can assign each one different power and speed levels. It's pretty cool the way it works.

Over on the right hand side you will see a tab that says work. Click on that tab and a pop up will appear allowing you to
set what you want each color to do. It does not matter what your line widths are (hairline, .05 whatever) it just depends on the color.

~

I took the screen shot a little early, red was originally set to cut so you just see the outline. When I changed it to scan
the text would fill in a solid red showing you it's in engraving mode. I hope this helps
Gozzie

Julian Ashcroft
11-05-2015, 2:14 AM
And always run it through the preview screen to see how it looks and whether the rostering works correctly. On more complicated designs the raster engrave doesn't always seem to appear in the right areas.

David Somers
11-05-2015, 1:23 PM
And, in Gozzie's example, the order of operation will be from top to bottom. You can move each color up or down in order to change the order the job is run in. For example, if you cut a part loose first you might find it shifts before the engraving starts, ruining the piece. In that case you could move the engraving line up so it goes first, then the cut occurs.

Dave