PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 65 or Delta Rockwell 34-395

Kenneth Love
11-04-2015, 2:20 PM
Hello to all of you on the forum. I am a new member. I need a little help from someone with more experience and know-how. I was fortunate to receive a Powermatic 65 Table Saw (Vintage 1959) from my father-in-law when he got too old to continue woodworking. As far as I know, he was the original purchaser of the saw. It still works great and is my everyday table saw when I do woodworking projects.

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a (1972 vintage) Delta Rockwell 34-395 (12 - 14 inch) tablesaw. I got the saw pretty cheap because it came with a 7.5 HP 3 phase motor. The saw was (I'm told) in working condition when taken out of service to be auctioned. Its in decent shape and came with the original fence and a General T fence (biesmeyer).

The questions are:

1. Should I swap out the 3 phase motor on the Delta Rockwell, and, if so, what motor would be a good fit?
2. I hope to use the General T fence on my Powermatic saw. Anyone see a problem with that?
3. The base cabinet on the Delta Rockwell has some rust issues on one side. Should I attempt to repaint it?
4. I can probably only reasonably keep one of the saws. Due to sentimental reasons, it will probably be the Powermatic. That saw is missing a motor dust cover. Any idea where I can get one?

Appreciate your anticipated assistance.

Sorry, being new to the forum, I'm not sure how to post pictures yet. If anyone would like pictures, I will see what I can do.:)

Matt Day
11-04-2015, 4:26 PM
For the dust cover, post a WTB over on OWWM or keep an eye on eBay. I have a 65 ('64 I think) that I'll be restoring this winter hopefully. What fence is on it now? If it's the stock fence, I've heard good things about it.

Sounds like you'll be keeping the PM, so I think you've made your decision, probably just needed to type it out to convince yourself.

Mike Schuch
11-04-2015, 10:10 PM
I would definitely put an end to the rust before it gets bad. Wire wheel the rust clean. If there is any pitting a thin coat of Bondo will smooth it out nicely. Then paint it. I have some pea green paint that matches my Powermatic 65 well enough that I can spot patch the paint without having to completely repaint the whole machine.

7.5 hp is kind of big for a VFD. It has been a while since I looked at VFD's in that size but they might have come down to an affordable price by now.

David Kumm
11-04-2015, 11:48 PM
Delta Rockwell also used a 5 hp single phase motor on the 12-14. As long as the frame size and shaft length are the same, it should swap.324741 Dave

Kenneth Love
11-05-2015, 9:26 AM
Mike and David:

Thank you both for your assistance. I'll see if I can find a 5 HP single phase motor as suggested, David. I will also get on to the rust on the 34-395. Don't think I'll use PM green on it, though, Mike.

mark kosse
11-05-2015, 1:29 PM
Keith, The bigger saw is nice to have. If you are going to use it in the same capacity as the 65, I'd say 3hp single phase would be fine. I was going to put a 3hp in mine until I found out a 3ph 5hp motor could be run on a 3hp VFD.

Dave Cav
11-05-2015, 10:51 PM
I have both a Delta 12/14 and a PM 65 and use them daily. If you possibly can, I would keep both saws.

The 12/14 uses standard base motors (unlike a Unisaw). A 5 HP motor will work fine. I have a 5 HP 3 phase motor on my 12/14" saw and I have no problems cutting anything I have any business cutting. I normally keep a 14" combination tooth blade on the saw. If you do convert the saw, consider finding a used 5 HP 3 phase motor and running it off a nominal 3 HP VFD. That's what I am doing, as are several other people over at OWWM, and we've had no problems. Due to the load characteristics of a table saw, you should not under normal circumstances even begin to task a 5 HP motor to it's full load limit and if you do the vfd should be good for 150% of full load amps for 15 or 20 seconds or so, and if you do trip it, all you have to do is turn it back on.

The Biesmeyer fence for the 12/14 saw is an oversize model (at least mine is) designed for the larger table on the 12/14" saw. If you put it on the Powermatic it will hang over the back side of the saw a good bit. If you still have the original cast iron Powermatic fence on the 65, you have a great fence. It is far superior to the similar jet lock fence on the Unisaw.

As I said, if you possibly can, keep both saws, maybe using them back to back where they function as outfeed tables for one another. That way they take up not a lot more space than a single saw with a fixed outfeed table The 12/14 excels in larger work and breaking down panels, and with a big sled it can handle large crosscuts. I have a 24" sled I use with mine and am thinking of building a 30 or 36" sled if I can think if a place to put it.

Tom M King
11-05-2015, 10:58 PM
I bought a 7.5 hp VFD not long ago off ebay for $268, and it works like a charm. It ran all day today, and the motor never got warm. I do have another small fan blowing across the heat sink on the VFD.