PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used one of these clamps before?

Kent Adams
11-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Normally, I'm not a buyer of HF stuff, but the price on these clamps is very good. I was looking for the same clamps Paul Sellers uses in his bench build, Hilka, which unfortunately is not sold in the US. I've found other aluminum clamps but they are in the $30 range and I was looking to buy several of them. The HF look decent from the pictures.....but...

Anyway, if you have bought a set of these, were they any good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/clamps/36-in-aluminum-bar-clamp-60539.html

glenn bradley
11-04-2015, 12:34 PM
I have a couple that I picked up to see if I wanted to move to that format of a clamp for panel glue-ups. They are lightweight but, if used with care should provide reasonable service for the price. I found no advantage over my parallel clamps and so still just have the original two. If you were closer, you could have them ;-)

Kent Adams
11-04-2015, 12:47 PM
That's good to know Glenn. I was thinking these might be better for face frames. I have a fair number of parallel clamps already (I make it a point to never leave a woodworking store without at least one clamp. :)

Earl McLain
11-04-2015, 12:47 PM
I've got a couple of 24" (?) that were part of an auction lot of pipe clamps. Only used them a few times in a pinch but seemed okay under light to moderate pressure.
earl

cecil rolfe
11-04-2015, 12:53 PM
I have used them for years. They are my go to clamp for most jobs. My heavy Jorgenson's stay on the wall rack.

mark kosse
11-04-2015, 12:56 PM
There was also a post recently on how to stiffen them up with a hard maple core.

Doug Garson
11-04-2015, 1:01 PM
Don't have them but here's a YouTube video on how to improve them.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube%20stiffening%20aluminum%20bar%20c lamps&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=youtube%20stiffening%20aluminum%20bar%20clamps&sc=0-19&sp=-1&sk=&first=1#view=detail&mid=936E2012D528263510F8936E2012D528263510F8

cody michael
11-04-2015, 2:15 PM
they are the main clamps I have do to price, you can't exert a ton of force but I have used them for quite a few glueups including end graing cutting boards they work fine. not the best I'm sure but what I could afford, they go on sale often

Kenneth Love
11-04-2015, 2:28 PM
Paul Sellers also has a YouTube video where he recommends this same improvement.

John Gustafson
11-04-2015, 3:32 PM
I've got a couple, 48" I believe. I've used them to clamp across bridle joints on a set of screen frames I've been building. They work quite well although they will bow in the middle under load. Means the parallel jaws don't stay that way in one direction. Hence, the YouTube video with the maple insert. My only gripe is the pins that hold the fixed jaw to the beam has parted company with the clamp on both units that I have. The pin was held originally with a "push on washer/nut and worked it's way off. Never have found the pins in the shop sweepings. Fix is easy, a machine screw with an elastic stop nut.
All is well for less than a buck and never look back. I'd have taken it back, but HF is about 40 miles away one way, I actually use the clamps, and replacements would probably have the same issue,

glenn bradley
11-04-2015, 4:14 PM
I make it a point to never leave a woodworking store without at least one clamp. :)

There's two of us!?!

Kent Adams
11-04-2015, 4:50 PM
Thanks, that was very helpful.

Charles Wiggins
11-04-2015, 5:46 PM
I have a few 24" and I have not been impressed. Even under light use, which is all I think they're suited for, I have experience mechanical problems. A couple of them behave like there is something gumming up the threads. The handle came loose on another. Unlike others they are my clamp of last resort.

Peter Quinn
11-04-2015, 6:45 PM
A pile of them sit in the corner in a box at work, I used them once in a pinch...now i just wait until good clamps become available. There is nothing I like about them except they are very light so when they irritate me I can throw them quite a distance.:eek: I'd rather have a few good clamps than a big pile of those.

Tim Janssen
11-04-2015, 9:16 PM
About 7, 8 years ago Lee Valley had a special on for a short while and I bought 10, 24" and 10, 48" of those clamps. Came to about $170.- They are light and easy to work with. No idea how much pressure they are capable of. But so far nothing I've used them on has fallen apart.
Cheers,

Tim
PS. The ones from Lee Valley had plastic pads on the clamp faces.

Kent Adams
11-04-2015, 9:22 PM
I'd be surprised if these were the same quality as a Lee Valley product. We're talking $10 for a 36" clamp.

Mike Schuch
11-04-2015, 9:32 PM
Different clamps have different uses. These clamps are nice for when everythings fit together perfectly and you just need a bit of clamping force while the glue is drying. If you have imperfectly fitting parts or a bit of twist in the wood these are not really heavy enough to pull everything together. There are times when doing a 3D glueup of strange shapes that the smaller size of these clamps are really handy.

They are a tool, when used in the right situation they are great. I would not want them to be my only clamps! It seems like they go on sale for 1/5th, 1/3rd or 1/2 off or so periodically and there are always HF 20% coupons.

Peter Kelly
11-04-2015, 9:38 PM
Save your money and get the real ones from Dubuque Clamp Works. https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/CDC/item/MS-ABAR.XX

The HF China clamps are just infuriating and not worth it.

Mike Heidrick
11-05-2015, 2:28 AM
Save your money and get the real ones from Dubuque Clamp Works. https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/CDC/item/MS-ABAR.XX

Very much agree +1

William C Rogers
11-05-2015, 8:16 AM
I have 4, two 24" and twom48". You get what you pay for. Main advantage is they are light weight. I only use them to hold something until I can get a real clamp on. The things that make them less desirable to me is the foot that goes into the notch is very soft pot metal and doesn't hold as well as I like. Also there is inconsistently how deep the notch is for the foot to hold. On one of mine it was not deep enough in a area and the clamp would slip. I even tried to deepen it with limited success. You can visually see that if you buy any. Of the 4 I only have two useable clamps left. To me they are not a replacement for any clamp, they just live on their being light weight.

Rick Potter
11-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks Peter,

I have wondered where to get those Dubuque clamps. Never have seen them in stores, or known who makes them.

Rick P

Wade Lippman
11-05-2015, 11:37 AM

+2 I sold all my HF for a couple dollars each and got 12 of the Dubuques.

They work, but the fact that people reinforce them with wood tells you how solid they are. Get them too tight and you will rip the slots right out.

Peter Kelly
11-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Lee Valley has the Dubuque ones too btw (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=70618&cat=1,43838). Not exactly the lowest price but they offer free shipping from time to time.

Steve Milito
11-05-2015, 12:56 PM
About 7, 8 years ago Lee Valley had a special on for a short while and I bought 10, 24" and 10, 48" of those clamps. Came to about $170.- They are light and easy to work with. No idea how much pressure they are capable of. But so far nothing I've used them on has fallen apart.
Cheers,

Tim
PS. The ones from Lee Valley had plastic pads on the clamp faces.

I bought a bunch also. Are the Dubuque Clamps the same clamp? http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=70618&cat=1,43838