PDA

View Full Version : Just chair

Mark Almeidus
11-04-2015, 10:57 AM
This is my first project that requires a little joinery that i wanted to practice. So I used the scrapiest material i had, to do a chair.
I searched the interned about how to make chairs with hand tools but with no luck. On Paul Sellers youtube chanel there is a short (intro) video about chairs, but I dont know if he plans to publish it oon youtube or its going to be available for purchase. If anyone can point me out to a blog or video about how to make chairs traditioal way, so the next time I dont feel like lost in space :D.
324659Here I noticed the grain was curved and used axe and hammer to split it.

Mark Almeidus
11-04-2015, 11:04 AM
The horizontal or suport legs are not 90 degrees, so I spent some time manualy adjusting the angle. Some marking tools would have come realy handy.

Bonus stuff:

lowell holmes
11-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Mark,

check this link

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Mortise-Tenon-Joints-Woodworking/dp/1561588970

It is a dvd featuring Frank Klausz on mortise and tenon joinery.

IIRC, there is a portion of it devoted to chair making.

That being said, I attended two different rocking chair classes conducted by Paul Sellers at Waco, Texas. The mortise and tenon joinery is not that difficult.

To start a chair though, I loft the chair plan on a sheet of 1/2" plywood. That's how the classes were taught. Then you you can measure the components from the full size lofted plan on your bench. I don't know any other way to come up with the angles required in the joinery. After lofting, you can transfer the cut lines from the lofted image to the parts you are making.

Paul wrote two articles in the December 2004 and February 2005? issues of the defunct Woodwork Magazine. If you can find those issues, you will be in business.

Nick Stokes
11-04-2015, 12:16 PM
if you wanted to watch paul build his chair, you can do so at woodworkingmasterclasses... for $15 you can sign up and watch all of his video's... including how to upholster the chair... I don't remember exactly, but my guess is there are about 6-7 hours worth of video on making the chair.

lowell holmes
11-04-2015, 12:24 PM
if you wanted to watch paul build his chair, you can do so at woodworkingmasterclasses... for $15 you can sign up and watch all of his video's... including how to upholster the chair... I don't remember exactly, but my guess is there are about 6-7 hours worth of video on making the chair.

By all means, I would do what Nick suggests.

lowell holmes
11-04-2015, 1:37 PM
I found my "Making Mortise And Tenon Joints" with Fran Klausz. I went back and looked at the fourth section of the video, and it was what I remembered.

Frank shows how to draw a full scale plan of the chair on a sheet of plywood. He then marks the cut lines on his wood measuring from his drawing, also picking up his angles. It is a Taunton woodworking dvd.

If you follow his instructions, you will be able to make about any chair you ever want to make. He also shows how to cut the joints.

Reinis Kanders
11-04-2015, 1:38 PM
I like your chair. Looks pretty pleasing to the eye. Is it comfortable?

Mark Almeidus
11-04-2015, 3:29 PM
I downloaded the dvd from forums. I heard about that dvd but didnt paid attention that it was about chairs also. Not just the plans but there is how to do angled legs not just 45. Thanks Lowell.
Nick, for 15 $ its definitely worth to sign in and be able to have acces to his videos.
Thanks Reinis. To be honest its not realy comfortable, the back legs should have made them more backwards. Could be good for those who want to fitness straight back :D. I have 4 other legs that are more curved, from which I will make another chair soon.

Roger Nair
11-04-2015, 3:43 PM
Curtis Buchanan has a video series on making a Windsor chair from log to finish, all the tools, sharpening and processes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/curtisbuchanan52

It's well worth the time to take in the whole series, an unparalleled offering.

Mark Almeidus
11-04-2015, 4:08 PM
Thanks Roger, this will come usefull to, I am collecting birch wood also for rustic chairs like the woodrights shop episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBgNOQbF1x8. Better download those videos, you never know if they wil be online forever.