PDA

View Full Version : Permanent archive of WW resources in various cities?

Roger Feeley
11-04-2015, 10:09 AM
I live in Kansas City and am about to move to northern VA (DC suburb). Having lived here, I had a pretty good idea of where to get stuff and it's a fairly long list. My list would include WW resources like the KC WW Guild, various stores that supply tools and wood, some area resources that most wouldn't know about. Then, assuming that woodworkers are also handy, I could tic off supply houses for plumbing and electrical and other house type things.

I could put out the call to the Creek for such things where I am going but it occurs to me that maybe a permanent archive of resources would be a handy thing.

Is there a way within these forums to create shared documents?
Local Resources - <state> - <city>

Then I could create the list for the KC area and others could add and subtract.

Case in point, here in the KC area, there is a great wood resource but it's about 60 miles away in this tiny rural town. My point being that someone moving here might not ever know about Friedan Lumber unless they stumbled upon it like I did 10 years ago.

I would be more than willing to do a writeup for the KC area.

Myk Rian
11-09-2015, 3:33 PM
You have a lot of catching up to do.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/woodworking-clubs-directory.aspx
http://woodwork.meetup.com/
Just to name a couple of many.

Roger Feeley
11-09-2015, 4:03 PM
Thanks Myk,

Clubs would be just one thing that I would want to include.

Obscure vendors that might not come up in a google search (Friedan Lumber in Osage, KS).
Shops that will sell you sink cutouts for small tabletops and inlays.
Plastics places
Metal by the foot places
Places to get things welded or friendly machine shops that will do small jobs.
Places to buy electronics and networking supplies
Architectural salvages.

I know all these for the KC area and it will take me some time to find places around Falls Church. I bet there are people out there that already know this stuff.