PDA

View Full Version : Sprayed finish on tenons

David Utterback
11-04-2015, 7:53 AM
In my haste to complete a cradle for my first grandson who was scheduled to arrive yesterday, I sprayed polyurethane finish on the exposed tenons of two rails. I am afraid this will weaken the glue joint. I have been using Titebond III. Any recommendations would be appreciated. At least the baby is cooperating and the mother is not showing any signs of eminent delivery. :)

Thanks!
David

mark mcfarlane
11-04-2015, 8:18 AM
Do you have a scraper? Or maybe epoxy those 4 joints

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2015, 9:28 AM
Hi David, sand or scrape the finish off and glue it.

If your tenon is a bit loose, glue a piece of veneer on it...........Rod.

Congrats on the grandson also.

Mike Schuch
11-04-2015, 11:28 AM
I would suspect you will be fine if you just rough up the polyurethane so the glue or epoxy has something to bite into. I wouldn't worry about getting every last bit of poly off the tenons.

J.R. Rutter
11-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Wood glue needs to be in contact with two touching wood surfaces in order to react and bond. Scrape off the poly.

Epoxy works well if they get too small. It needs a gap to work properly.

Peter Quinn
11-04-2015, 6:50 PM
I'd purposefully shave the tenons a bit thin using what ever method you used to make them initially, glue in a quick dutchman or some veneer, recut the tenons and just keep moving. Or if your jig for the tenons is still set up you could prepare some thin stock or veneer, slip it behind/under the fence on the jig that guides your tenons, recut, then glue in the dutchman, that way it will make its own space that should closely fit the originals.