PDA

View Full Version : show me your knock down spray booth

sascha gast
08-30-2005, 5:24 AM
i am in desperate need for ideas for a little spray booth setup. i am very space limited IN the shop, but i can spray outside and build a little booth outside that would stay in place. but i also wouldn't mind ideas for a little tear down booth IN my shop.
i know large pieces of furniture need to be sprayed outside, but my turning i wouldn't mind finding a place in my garage. i want a fan in it and rig it up as good as i can. it doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to produce a nice finish on my turnings.
pics from you guys would be appreciated, just want to know how you all do it.

thanx guys

sascha

Bill Lewis
08-30-2005, 5:43 AM
I just had a thought, how about using one of those tent style "garages" for a spray booth. I think the smallest ones are less than $200. Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42211) has one for sale for $179.
I think one of these, with some modification, would work pretty good. You could even set it up inside of an existing garage.

Richard McComas
08-30-2005, 5:59 AM
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/knockdownsprayboothdesign.pdf

Michael Gabbay
08-30-2005, 8:01 AM
Sascha - I just built one but don't have any pictures. :( Here's what I did....

3 sheets 3/8" plywood. Cut to height of garage door less 3 - 4" when the door is up so you can place the booth under the door.
Cut a 18"x18" cutout for the fan about 25 - 30" from the floor. I'm going to do a second cutout at the floor level for a second fan.
Take 1x4 and frame out the edges of the plywood to stiffen it up.
Attach with 4 hinges. I fold in half and take the third wall off. It's very easy to remount the third wall when you have it laying flat on the garage floor.

You can put a cross brace across the top and hang lights if you want. I'm also planning on painting mine white to reflect more light.

The whole thing costs about $100 to build. Jeff Jewitt had a plan in FWW for one made from 4x8 foam insulation sheets. I liked the plywood better. I thought it would hold up longer and I already had some of the materials.

Let me know if you want a picture. I'll be setting it up again in about a week to spray some doors and a kick plate.

Mike

Bart Leetch
08-30-2005, 9:05 AM
When I needed one I used 3/4" PVC pipe & hung it from the ceiling & hung clear plastic from it & used a small fan & painted away then rolled it all up & put it away.

It doesn't have to be complicated. It needs to protect what you want to protect & be able to ventilate out away from the stuff you want to protect & let light in so you can see what your doing.

You can also make a 4 panel PVC frame work & put clear plastic on it using duct tape & design a PVC surrounded hole into it for the fan to set outside of & use wire or zip ties to hold it together at the corners. I'd probably use zip ties at all corners accept the one you want to open to get in & out then I'd use wire. When not in use just store folded up against a wall or overhead storage if you have it. This is light & easy to move. You could even just put it together with no glue & store it in a long narrow box when not in use.

Jim Becker
08-30-2005, 9:28 AM
Sascha, "what" you are going to spray will affect what kind of setup you need. See my comments in your lacquer thread relative to that. If you choose to use NC Lacquer or other solvent based products, the project gets complicated and expensive due to the ventilation requirements.

Matt Meiser
08-30-2005, 9:33 AM
I built one a while back:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15932&highlight=spray+booth

Randy Meijer
08-30-2005, 3:38 PM
What size booth do you need?? There was a recent post here about a 24"x36"x18" booth built out of a sheet of Masonite, a few wood scraps, and a couple of piano hinges. It did not have a fan; but that would be easy to add. Let me see if I can find the link for you.

See if this thread will be of help.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23215&highlight=piano