PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with my disc sander

Joe Cowan
11-03-2015, 9:22 AM
I have changed the sandpaper twice recently. The first time the paper would not stay attached. The 2nd time (using 80 grit PSA paper) I cleaned the disc with acetone, lightly sanded the surface, sprayed the disc with adhesive and applied the sandpaper followed by clamping a 12" square of plywood over the paper. Now I am trying to sneak up on a 3 1/2" X 1/2" mitre and get a wavy edge and am using a mitre gauge to make sure I am spot on. I think it is air bubbles as the surface seems to be soft in spots. I guess I am a knucklehead as this would seem to be a simple thing to get done. What am I doing wrong?

glenn bradley
11-03-2015, 9:28 AM
Spray adhesive may have left an uneven surface. Assuming the disc is true I found success with disc sanders when I:
- Clean the disc (naphtha, alcohol, acetone, whatever leaves it clean and dry).
- Use a quality cloth-backed PSA abrasive like Klingspor or others.
- Change the disc when it is work as opposed to running it too far past gone.
Life has been good at the disc sander since I adopted these steps.

Mike Schuch
11-03-2015, 9:50 PM
Sounds like cheap sandpaper to me. I have never had to use spray adhesive to keep the discs on my sander. My father gave me a whole box of industrial discs when he gave me the industrial sander. They stick like crazy but come off fairly easily because they are cloth based and don't rip when trying to remove them.

Joe Cowan
11-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Sounds like cheap sandpaper to me. I have never had to use spray adhesive to keep the discs on my sander. My father gave me a whole box of industrial discs when he gave me the industrial sander. They stick like crazy but come off fairly easily because they are cloth based and don't rip when trying to remove them.

Not sure where I got these discs I am having trouble with but will order more and make sure they are cloth backed. Thanks.