PDA

View Full Version : best blades for 1/4 -3/8 Acrylic

Sammy Jamal
11-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Hello group,
I hope I am in the proper section.
This is my first post on the forum. I see the wealth of info available here.
I have experience in many professions, hobbies, engineering and mechanical design. If I can contribute to any possible subject I will not be shy.
I just purchase a used (really used) Ridgid 16" scroll saw. This saw is meant to use pinned blades but I tried pinless blades and they work fine. I plan to get comfortable with the many types of material (solid wood, plywood, acrylic) before I step up the a better saw. I see what the experts are suggesting and I will use these suggestions when the time comes (within 3 months).
Here is my question: What type of blades should I use to cut 1/8" thru 3/8" acrylic? I already tried to cut 3/8 but the material fuses together behind the blade :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sammy

pat warner
11-02-2015, 11:12 PM
8-12 wavy starrett bimetal bandsaw blades; will cut AC (http://www.patwarner.com/images/machining_plastic_a.jpg)to > 1" thick.

Gene Takae
11-03-2015, 2:58 AM
From my experience what's more important is the type of acrylic you use. Cast acrylic has a higher melting temperature so is less likely to fuse back together. Extruded acrylic is much softer so is almost guaranteed to fuse together. Either way you'd probably want to use as coarse a blade to help clear the debris from the cut. Just my 2 cents.

Joe Kaufman
11-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Someone suggested applying clear packaging tape over the area to be cut. Supposedly acts as a lubricant. Never tried it.

Ole Anderson
11-03-2015, 1:09 PM
Don't have a good answer for you, but welcome to the Creek Sammy!!!

Ole Anderson
11-03-2015, 1:12 PM
8-12 wavy starrett bimetal bandsaw blades; will cut AC (http://www.patwarner.com/images/machining_plastic_a.jpg)to > 1" thick.

Pat, I believe he is looking for scroll saw blades. I have no experience there.

Jerome Stanek
11-03-2015, 1:51 PM
mist it with a little dish soap and water