PDA

View Full Version : Aches and Pains

Rich Riddle
11-02-2015, 9:36 PM
Now that I am in the fifties, the old body aches like never before. Getting old isn't for the weak.

John A langley
11-02-2015, 9:43 PM
Wait till your 73

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2015, 9:53 PM
To quote Tyler Howell's deceased mother "Getting old ain't for sissies."

Mel Fulks
11-02-2015, 9:57 PM
Sixties ....problems here ,too; are all the GOOD decades over? Foods I've liked all my life I now don't like. Face recognition is way off on young people ; get them mixed up. They all just look YOUNG. I Think getting old is ,at its most basic, turning into someone else.

Tony De Masi
11-03-2015, 6:58 AM
Just had an MRI on my lower back last week. Not crazy about the results.

Larry Frank
11-03-2015, 7:50 AM
Just wait until you have replacement parts.....I have 8 deck screws and links in my back along with a replacement hip. It is exciting with airport security.

I am thankful that these things are available as I would be in real trouble without them.

ALAN HOLLAR
11-03-2015, 9:44 AM
2 thumb CMC arthroplasties, chronic sleep apnea, hypertension, GERD, neuroforamenal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, ulcerative colitis and tinnitus. Not sure I am looking forward to my 63rd birthday. I tend to look at it as the prizes you collect when you don't die.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Broke my back in 2001...I'm 8mm shorter than I used to be.

Woke up deaf in 2010 which forced my retirement for safety reasons.....got a cochlear implant in 2011.

My back MRIs, knee MRIs and right hip MRIs looked terrible. I can't have MRIs anymore without minor surgery to remove the rare earth magnet from my cochlear implant. From pain in my back,I know when every storm front is coming through.

But I have outlived my father by 19 years this year. He died just before his 47th birthday. I lived long enough to see all of my children grow up and become contributing adults. I lived long enough to have grandchildren from ages 29-3 years and great-grandchildren from ages 9years to 9 months.

Even with all the pain, I am grateful to wake up every morning!

Life is good!

Two of my grandsons are currently serving in the military. The one in the Army deployed to Kuwait 2 weeks ago today. Please keep those who serve in our military in your thoughts and prayers!

Mel Fulks
11-03-2015, 10:57 AM
If we ever have a Sawmill marathon we will need three classes : stock, modified, and "ride the bus with Rosie Ruiz".

Bruce Page
11-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Aches & pains come with the territory. I hit 65 yesterday. I'm still in pretty good health - nothing major going on that I'm aware of. I just don't have the energy or ambition to "Get 'er done" that I once had.

Joe Bradshaw
11-03-2015, 4:07 PM
You kids. Just wait until you hit the seventies. If I had known that I would live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.
Joe

Jerry Thompson
11-03-2015, 4:16 PM
The older I get the better I used to be.

Bert Kemp
11-03-2015, 4:46 PM
To funny Mel :D

If we ever have a Sawmill marathon we will need three classes : stock, modified, and "ride the bus with Rosie Ruiz".

Nike Nihiser
11-03-2015, 5:09 PM
"If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." Well, probably not. I'm 65 and i'm right up there with the worst of you. Let's see... hearing aids, tinnitus, gout, tarsal tunnel syndrome (feet), both shoulders repaired and the left one went south and had to be replaced, right hip replaced, both knees repaired and the left one needs replaced, spondololystheses(sp?) (back), vitreous separation in left eye. Still, everyday above ground is a good day .

Jerry Thompson
11-03-2015, 5:18 PM
Come to think of it, I happy that when I take a shower nothing falls off.

Tom M King
11-03-2015, 6:28 PM
You guys are complaining more than my Mother, and she'll be 100 in April.

Rich Riddle
11-03-2015, 6:33 PM
It sounds like a magnet could really do some damage to some of you folks. I felt like the old man at 52. Some of you sound a bit older. Life is good even with daily back pain, neck aches, and bones popping.

Allan Speers
11-03-2015, 7:02 PM
I'm "only" 58, but my back is about 111.

Somedays I can barely get outa' bed.

But, you know, it could be a lot worse.....

Allan Speers
11-03-2015, 7:04 PM
The older I get the better I used to be.

Lol ! Same here.

- Handsomer, too. :(

Chris Parks
11-03-2015, 7:11 PM
ulcerative colitis and tinnitus.

I can relate to both these for about the last 30 years. UC is now under control with Pentassa, Tinnitus is best ignored.

Chris Padilla
11-03-2015, 8:36 PM
Grumpy Old Men

;) :D

Chris Parks
11-03-2015, 8:46 PM
Grumpy Old Men

;) :D

I resemble that.:)

paul cottingham
11-03-2015, 9:34 PM
Lets see, 9 brain surgeries, 4 (5? Cant rememeber) ventricular peritoneal shunts installed, 3 VP shunt failures 2 disk replacement surgeries (well 1 actually. The second was to clear my airway after it threatened to close) and 2 more disc replacements or fusions to go. Have no feeling in my right leg, and virtually none in my right hand. When its not completely numb, it feels like I'm being stabbed in the hand with a knife. Oh, and really bad tinnitus due to hydrocephalus, and too many years playing rock and roll bass. Forced into early retirement. And i'm not quite 53 yet.

On the good side: i have a healthy and happy 9 year old daughter (with ASD) who is already 5' 3" and sharp as a whip. I get to be home when she gets home, and got to take her running in the park 2 or 3 times a day. I get to work in the shop every day, whenever i feel up to it.

So, in balance, can't complain.

Eduard Nemirovsky
11-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Somebody tell me after mine 50th - if you wake up and no pain - you are dead. I wake up every morning and happy that I have some pain - here or there:).

Ed.

Jason Roehl
11-04-2015, 6:30 AM
I'm hoping that what I'm experiencing pain-wise at 41 is just training to be an old codger. By the time I'm in my 60s and 70s, I'll be so used to the pain that I won't care about it. I've got what I think is a partial tear in my left rotator cuff, plantar fasciitis in my left foot, and tennis elbow in at least my right elbow (left hurts a little, too, but I'm not sure it's tennis elbow). I cut down and cut up a 24" diameter maple tree yesterday anyway--on a day off. My back's a little tight/sore from that.

My favorite line, from one of my elderly church brothers (this was a few years ago, but he's now about 77-78) was, "When you get to be my age, if it don't hurt, it don't work!"

Dave Jensen
11-04-2015, 9:37 AM
Funny -- the Google ad toward the top of this page was for "Laser Spine Surgery and ACL Tear". How did they know?

Wade Lippman
11-04-2015, 11:08 AM

Wade Lippman
11-04-2015, 11:10 AM
By the time I'm in my 60s and 70s, I'll be so used to the pain that I won't care about it.

That's what I used to think. Sorry, but pain is the only thing that doesn't dull.

Now that I am in the fifties, the old body aches like never before. Getting old isn't for the weak.

I was still climbing and running in my 50s; oh to be that young again! Just wait until your 60's.

OTOH, my wife just got a respectable time in the Head of the Charles (crew) Regatta at 63. It is the toughest regatta there is. Considering all her medical issues, I am a bit surprised she survived it.

Al Launier
11-04-2015, 11:37 AM
73 and it seems as though I'm getting older faster & faster.

Hearing Aids
Total Knee replacemeny
Ulcerated Colitis
Diabetes Type II
Lower back aches
Arthritis: both knees, both hip joints, 6 fingers, both thumbs
Diminishing memory - use a spreadsheet to monitor/schedule meds - but I can still find the spreadsheet ;)

Fortunately I have a very loving & caring wife!

paul cottingham
11-04-2015, 12:40 PM
On the other hand, my father was still farming and outworking people a quarter his age and 50 lbs bigger when he was in his 70's. He was tiny (5'7" and around 160 at his heaviest,) but never complained about pain. In fact the only time i heard him say anything about it, he was around 81 or 82 and his knuckles were swollen from arthritis, i asked him " doesn't it hurt to play?" (he loved the piano, and would spend hours playing for the other folks in the home for veterans we had put him in) and he said (gently) "of course it hurts." So i never brought it up again. But he kept playing, cause he loved it.

Jerome Stanek
11-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Back before my father retired the greenhouse business the next door neighbor came over and said boy you won't be doing all that work and getting around like you do when you get to my age. My dad asked him how old he was and he said 62 my dad came back and said I'm 64 and he was. I used to do trade shows and some of the young guys couldn't keep up with me and they would ask how old I was. At that time I was only 62

Rick Potter
11-04-2015, 12:55 PM
You guys made me laugh.

It hurt.

Erik Loza
11-04-2015, 1:31 PM
Knock on wood, all my aches and pains are soft-tissue related able to be managed with stretching, chiro visits, etc. When I was in my 20's, I spent 8-10 hrs a day on my feet, on a cement floor. Don't remember it ever bothering me. Now, 20 years later, I am in substantially better physical shape when I was younger but doing a trade show like Vegas or Atlanta, where you are on your feet again for 8-10 hrs., my feet and lower back really start to ache by the end of each day. So, even though I am in better overall shape now, I was in better "standing" shape back then. One of my colleagues at the gym says, "The body becomes its function" and that you just have to manage that.

Erik

Scott Donley
11-04-2015, 1:37 PM
I know when I get up in the morning I have to stand for about 20 seconds to make sure I can walk without pain, I know when my yard needs mowing I think about it for a couple days first, I know when I go to my gun club I no longer take a rifle but take a couple pistols instead because walking 30 or 50 yards to change a target is a whole lot easier than walking 200/ 400/600 yards. I am only in my mid 60's. How did this happen :)

Jim Koepke
11-04-2015, 3:17 PM
Most of my aches and pains are just reminders of my rough and tumble youth.

Some of them have been with me for nigh on 60 years.

All the fun is catching up with me.

jtk

Bruce Volden
11-04-2015, 6:16 PM
Myself, I get outta bed in the AM and have to stand there for several seconds until my ankles "crack" back into place.
Then I mosey around for several minutes and am good to go for the whole day. But, I HATE going down a stairway, that hurts!

OTOH------I sure do miss my eyesight! Can't see or read a thing without +2 reading glasses.

Bruce

Joe Bradshaw
11-04-2015, 8:23 PM
Of all the things that I have lost as I get older, I miss my mine the most.
Joe

Rich Riddle
11-05-2015, 4:07 AM
I wonder how many of us older folks stay awake at night with pain and aches?

Larry Frank
11-05-2015, 8:15 AM
I have lots of aches and pain and suffer with chronic pain. I am not alone as many live with pain. I am so fortunate to have found some excellent doctors. I see a pain management doctor once a month who is great and helps me deal with issues like sleeping at night. I have my worst days if I do not sleep the night before.

dennis thompson
11-05-2015, 8:21 AM
Well I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm 72 and feel fine. I think you need to do a few things to prepare for aging: exercise (for the last 30 years I've walked 4 miles a day, used to run it ), weight( got to keep it down), activity (need to keep body and MIND active, having filled both houses with furniture I've taken to making toy trucks & cars for my grandchildren, believe it or not they are more complicated than the furniture I made, keeps the mind working). There is always an excuse not to exercise (too busy, I did it yesterday , I'll do it tomorrow) and there is always a reason to eat that last donut (I didn't have one yesterday, I won't have one tomorrow, I'll do on a diet after this):)

Justin Ludwig
11-05-2015, 3:55 PM
The one in the Army deployed to Kuwait 2 weeks ago today. Please keep those who serve in our military in your thoughts and prayers!

Been there. Camp Buehring is about as desolate as it gets. Hopefully he's in Arafjan or down at the Kuwaiti Naval Base where there are 2 pools and some green plants.

David Masters
11-05-2015, 6:26 PM
I feel better. I thought it was only me.