PDA

View Full Version : Help buying an AM/FM radio

Jerry Bruette
11-02-2015, 9:35 PM
I'm looking for a little help buying a radio for my new cabin.

It has to have excellent reception for long range AM and FM radio. Don't need any inputs for MP3.

I see some names tossed around that I've never heard of Tecsun, Sangean,CCrane, Grundig. Anyone have a review or opinion on any of these brands or models?

I'd like to have clock/alarm, and station presets options and not much more, just a simple radio to catch the weather report and listen to a few stations.

Mac McQuinn
11-02-2015, 10:55 PM
Grundig, Sangean and CCrane are all very familiar and I owned the Grundig about (10) years back. It was a nice radio although IMO I honestly feel the radios from the 1960's and 70's were better in reaching out and pulling in the distant stations. As far as the features you'd like, they may not be available on the older models. Good luck in your search although if it was my money, I'd take a long hard look at the vintage radios. I purchased my mainstay shop radio, a Zenith Transoceanic at a antique radio meet for $80
Mac

william watts
11-03-2015, 12:28 AM
I have a tunable antenna about the size a dinner plate that you set near your AM radio. Tune your radio to a weak station then tune the antenna for max reception. This works on the AM radio band great. I used on and old 60's radio with an internal loop antenna and it is really phenomenal. Years ago I bought this from the CC Crain company. It will not work on FM.

Bill

Chuck Wintle
11-03-2015, 4:11 AM
I'm looking for a little help buying a radio for my new cabin.

It has to have excellent reception for long range AM and FM radio. Don't need any inputs for MP3.

I see some names tossed around that I've never heard of Tecsun, Sangean,CCrane, Grundig. Anyone have a review or opinion on any of these brands or models?

I'd like to have clock/alarm, and station presets options and not much more, just a simple radio to catch the weather report and listen to a few stations.

I have a CCrane radio which I like a lot. It comes with the AM/FM presets, alarm, clock etc. It works well.

Jerry Bruette
11-03-2015, 5:47 AM
I have a CCrane radio which I like a lot. It comes with the AM/FM presets, alarm, clock etc. It works well.

Chuck

Which model do you have?

Chuck Wintle
11-03-2015, 6:39 AM
Chuck

Which model do you have?

CCRadio 2E Enhanced AM/FM/WX/2-Meter Ham Band Radio (Black Mica)Item # CC2BE This model is the latest version. My radio does not have the 2-meter ham radio band. as it is a little older.

Stan Calow
11-03-2015, 8:29 AM
Grundig is a pretty reputable German brand that's been around for awhile. I have two of their small portable ones with AM FM and short wave. I think I got them at Best Buy. Work fine even though I keep dropping them.