PDA

View Full Version : Hancock Shaker Workbench

Kent Adams
11-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Has anyone seen plans for this type of bench, including a cut list? I've searched the archives here and couldn't find one. I did find Benchcrafts "plans", but they don't have a systematic cut list. I've also looked at books that cover this bench, but again, no plans with cut lists.

Tom Vanzant
11-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Kent, Scott Landis' "The Workbench Book" has a chapter devoted to the Hancock bench, complete with semi-dimensioned drawings, although the dimensioning scheme leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of the construction details are assumed since disassembly of the bench to generate a cut list is out of the question. As with any bench project, you'll have to size it to fit you, your shop, how you work, then create your own cut list. That's part of the project.

Kent Adams
11-02-2015, 1:27 PM
A lot of the construction details are assumed since disassembly of the bench to generate a cut list is out of the question

Sounds like a business opportunity for someone :)

Tom Vanzant
11-02-2015, 1:40 PM
I don't think the good folks at Hancock would agree.

Jim McGee
11-02-2015, 1:43 PM
Fine woodworking has an article in the current Tools and Shop addition that just hit the news stand. Popular woodworking also has plans for a similar work bench.

Roger Green
11-02-2015, 1:51 PM
Look at Benchcrafted site, they have a set of plans for a Shaker bench.

Kent Adams
11-02-2015, 4:34 PM
Thanks Jim. Got my copy today and will look through it.

Kent Adams
11-02-2015, 4:34 PM
Thanks Roger, I found them.

Greg Berlin
11-02-2015, 5:38 PM
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/121600/ultimate-shaker-workbench

Joe A Faulkner
11-02-2015, 7:38 PM
Very nice bench, but not one designed to accommodate hold fasts in the top which I recall you asking about in another thread. Note no hold fast holes in the bench top, and no clearance for the post of the hold fast to protrude below the bench. With a little planning you could incorporate holdfasts - some do it by shrinking the size of the tool cabinet. For the Gramercy holdfasts, you need to allow ~9" of clearance from the top of your bench to the bottom of the post. Of course you have plenty of other work holding options besides holdfasts, but if you are going to use those in a Shaker-style bench you might need to make some adjustments to the plans. All this said, that style bench is very appealing.

Kent Adams
11-02-2015, 8:09 PM
Thanks Joe for the heads up on that. That's a point I hadn't considered as of yet but something I need to look into as well as the alternative methods beyond holdfasts.

Jim Ritter
11-03-2015, 9:27 PM
If someone can find online Fine Woodworking Sept/Oct 1993 there is an article called 'Workbenches in the Shaker Tradition' by Steven Thomas Bunn in it he builds for Thomas Moser a bench based on the Hancock bench. While not a cut list he does dimension most if not all the construction. Worth the search to find it, the one I found had essential pages with held for some reason. I could scan and share privately as long as I'm not overwhelmed.
Jim

Kent Adams
11-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Thanks Jim for the offer. I just ordered the Benchcrafted plans. I think it will have everything I'm looking for including cut lists.

Chuck Nickerson
11-04-2015, 12:26 PM
no plans with cut lists.

Fair warning: cutlists can be dangerous. They can be wrong and they invite you to start the project before you understand the build (or else you could make your own cutlist. DAMHIKT.

Kent Adams
11-04-2015, 4:59 PM
Fair warning: cutlists can be dangerous. They can be wrong and they invite you to start the project before you understand the build (or else you could make your own cutlist. DAMHIKT.

I read your comment at first like this: "fair warning: cultists can be dangerous" :)

Jim Ritter
11-04-2015, 5:06 PM
That too.
Jim

Kent Adams
11-05-2015, 5:35 PM
I received the Benchcraft plans today and they are excellent. I'd recommend them to anyone. Now I just need to learn how to read them :D.

Don Curtis
05-01-2017, 5:59 PM
I received the Benchcraft plans today and they are excellent. I'd recommend them to anyone. Now I just need to learn how to read them :D.

May I ask if you started this project? I am looking to start a Shaker Bench in the next few weeks/month. Just need a very sturdy base and some room between the bench bottom and case area to use holdfasts.
If you did start this how do you like it?

Don

William Fretwell
05-01-2017, 9:25 PM
Why do you need a 'cut list' for such a simple design? No tail vise, no hold downs. It's just a substantial chest of drawers with a thick top.
You will want to modify the size and height for your needs and space anyway. The drawers seem to be the main appeal of the bench. The shakers were renown for 'a place for everything', the bench part seems secondary.

Megan Fitzpatrick
05-04-2017, 12:29 PM
I remember that Glen (who built the PopWood one) would remove the top drawers when he wanted to use holdfasts. A bit of a workaround, but it indeed worked.

lowell holmes
05-05-2017, 9:49 AM
Check this thread.

http://www.benchcrafted.com/PDF%20Files/Shaker%20bench%20plans/Benchcrafted%20Shaker%20Notes%20Preview.pdf

William Fretwell
05-05-2017, 8:22 PM
That's a better bench with a tail vise and real dogs. They don't provide a cut list for the reasons given; quite right too!
One plus for the chest of drawers approach is little lateral or longitudinal movement of the bench, however most floors are far from level which may lead to some serious issues.

Rick Malakoff
05-07-2017, 10:16 PM
I think a workbench needs to accommodate you own personal needs as to size and style, this small bench needed to fit in the largest room of my cabin/5th wheel. The bench is only about 4 feet long and the room is 10x12 on the other side of pass through is the kitchen sink.
Having looked at what others were building I borrowed what I thought was necessary to fill my needs. I think a rough sketch was made but that was all subject to change as the project moved along depending what materials were available at the time, so a cut list would not have worked for me. I have found that after many years as a builder and a carpenter you need to be flexible because things don't always work out as planed and then you go to plan F "F@#$ it" and do it real time.

Just my take on plans and cut lists and them too, cultists!
Rick

lowell holmes
05-08-2017, 10:29 AM
That is a neat, compact work space. I'm impressed. :)

Rick Malakoff
05-08-2017, 11:05 AM
That is a neat, compact work space. I'm impressed. :)

Thanks Lowell,
I use the back end of the trailer for tool storage and have the power tools outside under a tarp/awning for doing the bull work and thats about 10x12 but most of the hand work is done inside. If I can find a pic of the outside I'll post it here.

Rick