PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Light Modification

Dave Fritz
11-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Some time ago I saw an article about moving the light on a Rikon 14 inch band saw higher. Has anyone done that or can you link me to that article? My google searches and memory have failed me.

Thanks, Dave Fritz

Doug Hepler
11-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Dave,

This won't answer your question directly, but -- moving the lamp or extending the gooseneck did not appeal to me. My sense was that the lamp was cheesy and that the switch would not last very long. My solution was to get a gooseneck lamp with a magnetic base (Lee Valley as I recall) and stick it on top of the saw. Then I still could use the built-in lamp occasionally to illuminate from the left rear.

Doug

Curt Harms
11-03-2015, 8:27 AM
I haven't seen an article but I moved mine some months ago. I could not get the nut that held the lamp in place to stay tight, it's in a difficult to access place. I removed the light - remove the switch to access the wire connections and nut that holds the lamp. I had a piece of light duty angle iron - probably a piece from an old machine base. Cut about a 4" piece and drill a hole the size of the light's threaded end. Fasten the light to one side of the angle iron and attach a couple strong magnets to the other side of the angle iron. I used a lamp cord for power, shrink wrap then several layers of tape for abrasion protection. No cost (had the bits and pieces) pretty easy and works well.

lowell holmes
11-03-2015, 9:39 AM
I did what Doug did. Lee Valley it is.

Yonak Hawkins
11-03-2015, 10:49 AM
I have to have lights on both sides of the blade to see adequately. I added a high, clamp-on light on the right side of the saw.