PDA

View Full Version : Source for Alaskan Yellow Cedar NJ/PA

Brian Holcombe
11-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Morning Gents!

Hoping I can trouble you guys for a line on a yard local to myself that may actually stock AYC. I'm planning a door build sometime next year (after all current builts and probably one more are finished, lol). AYC seems to be held up as a very good soft wood to use for architectural work but also seems to be a rare item at most yards.

Thank you
Brian

Tony Shea
11-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Wouldn't that be nice. I absolutely love working AYC and love the looks of clear stock. I have a couple small boards that are 10/4 and wish I had more of it. The stuff is very pricey though and just haven't pulled the trigger due to shipping costs. Good luck in your search.

Brian Holcombe
11-02-2015, 1:11 PM
Indeed, and I'm unlikely to purchase a quantity that actually makes shipping worthwhile.....another reason to be jealous of the west coast. :D

I've seen pricing right around $15/bf, I'm actually surprised it's not higher considering how old some of the growth is. I've been considering AYC, POC and some hardwoods. Mostly leaning toward AYC. I understand it to be very stable, which is perfect for this project. I'll paint the outside of the door (sacrilege, but my HOA will require me to) but it will receive direct sunlight all year.

The existing fiberglass POS has survived these conditions...but it's a painful sight for a woodworker.

Prashun Patel
11-02-2015, 1:29 PM
If you don't mind driving, have you been to Hearne?
I get most of my wood from Horizon, but I'm not sure they carry this. Ask for Pete.

Brian Holcombe
11-02-2015, 1:47 PM
Thanks Prashun, I'll give Pete a call. I checked Hearne's site, no such luck.

Mark Kuzee
11-02-2015, 1:57 PM
Woodfinder.com

Andrew Hughes
11-02-2015, 2:11 PM
I haven't seen any this year at the yards I visit, the last time I bought Ayc was from Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana Calif.It was very good mostly clear Vg.One board had close to a hundred lines per inch.Needed a microscope.Good luck.

Jim Ritter
11-02-2015, 2:17 PM
Try M. L. Condon Lumber in White Plains, NY sorry I don't have the number handy. I think they carry it. How much do you need? A friend of mine did a whole house with it and he might have some around the shop.
jim

Brian Holcombe
11-02-2015, 2:28 PM
Thanks Jim,

The door will have a window, so it's not a huge amount. I figure 10/4 x 8" x 7' (2) and 10/4 x 8" x 3' (3) would probably do it. I need to make a simple kumiko lattice work as well, so some 4/4 stock but not sure yet how much..

Prashun Patel
11-02-2015, 4:01 PM
Oh yeah and did you try wood boards n beams in towaco?

Brian Holcombe
11-02-2015, 4:51 PM
Havent tried them yet, they dont show it on their website. I'll give them a call as well and see if they have it.

ML Condon shows it on their site, no pricing, but they mention it's true old growth.

Reinis Kanders
11-02-2015, 4:56 PM
How about spanish cedar? It is also supposed to be weather resistant and it smells nice.

Brian Holcombe
11-02-2015, 5:15 PM
This is my ideal because it's a very hard cedar, the hardest in fact. This door is going to be put in absolutely terrible circumstance of 1/2 day direct sunlight and all forms of weather all while being heated/cooled on the inside of the house.

I know I'm a glutton for punishment even considering a wooden door for these circumstances, so I want to make sure I'm picking a super stable lumber.

POC and AYC are both called cedar but are actually in the Cypress family. My understanding is that old growth cypress is normally around 25 rings per inch, where AYC is going to be somewhere around 60 rings per inch.

Prashun Patel
11-02-2015, 5:33 PM
Check your PM...

Brian Holcombe
11-02-2015, 5:36 PM
Thank you!

John T Barker
11-02-2015, 6:29 PM
Thanks Prashun, I'll give Pete a call. I checked Hearne's site, no such luck.

There site doesn't list everything, by my experience.

Reinis Kanders
11-02-2015, 10:40 PM
This is my ideal because it's a very hard cedar, the hardest in fact. This door is going to be put in absolutely terrible circumstance of 1/2 day direct sunlight and all forms of weather all while being heated/cooled on the inside of the house.

I guess that is why older houses have a double door setup or a bit of an unheated entryway.

Brian Holcombe
11-02-2015, 10:59 PM
Thanks John,

Reinis, that's probably true, It probably served dual purpose of knocking down drafts and did well to keep the doors a little happier.

Dave Beauchesne
11-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Brian:
Before I did any woodworking, we lived on Haida Gwaii ( formerly the Queen Charlotte Islands ) for six years. Yellow Cedar everywhere, lots of it was 100 growth rings per inch.
I bucked up ( for firewood ) 20 foot logs, 30" diameter, clear and straight as could be that maybe had a crack the length of the log, or a 6" rotten hollow!! Blasphemy I know now, but what nice firewood if seasoned properly. Splits like a dream.
Anyway, since then I have started woodworking and used YC on a few smaller projects; such sweet wood, but planing it can be a bit tricky. Slight grain undulations and the stringiness of the YC can cause tearout where you expect it least.
The quality of your work leads me to believe you won't have any issues, but the creaminess of the really fine grained YC can lull you a bit.
Good luck getting some primo stock; if it is a bit damp, it easily develops a pink sticker stain, so another thing to be mindful of.
I look forward to seeing the finished project!!
Dave B

peter Joseph
11-03-2015, 12:41 AM
I would call Hearne as well.

Brian Holcombe
11-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the insights gents.

Dave, we'll all done a few I think. My first table is solid macassar/gaboon ebony that I had laying around. It's a good table, but a bit obnoxious use of materials, and just before they sky rocketed in price (it was easily 1/4 of current price).
Some of the finish planed beams I've seen are just incredible, they look like a solid conglomerate of material with a piano finish. Not sure if I will be able to achieve that, but I hope to.

Dave Beauchesne
11-03-2015, 1:25 PM
Some of the finish planed beams I've seen are just incredible, they look like a solid conglomerate of material with a piano finish. Not sure if I will be able to achieve that, but I hope to.

Brian:

We moved to Haida Gwaii in 1992 when the Japanese economy was still flying high - Matsutake ( Pine ) mushroom pickers were getting nearly $600.00 a pound for # 1 premium button mushrooms, and Yellow Cedar cants were fetching the logger $6,000.00 per thousand board feet in the bush; here I was burning the stuff!

I spoke to a log broker at the time, he said '' the Japanese want the wood to look like plastic '' in terms of no grain whatsoever, hence the knotless cants that were all over 60 growth rings per inch fetching that kind of $$.

I was in the local Ministry of Forests office a few months later and saw a partial, broken piece of a ' cookie ' ( a couple inch thick piece of a log sliced off as end grain ) about 18 - 20 inches across sitting on the floor by one fellas desk - I saw it was YC, and asked '' Del, what are you doing with that ?? '' They had special dyes and magnifiers to deal with trying to figure out the age via growth ring counts.

His reply, '' Once I got to a thousand, I stopped counting .''

Your door project using YC sounds perfect - in fact, I was the local Fire Chief there for 5 years. A group of 5 Canadian Navy warships ( Dinky toys to the American Navy ) came into our dock and we refilled their potable water tanks with local domestic water via our fire lines. We got a tour, and it turned out the boats were commissioned in the late 1950's as minesweepers, and the entire hulls were YC so as to not attract magnetic mines among other reasons.

My point is the YC is a natural for being in the weather.

Good Luck -

Dave B

Brian Holcombe
11-03-2015, 2:07 PM
Wood that looks like plastic is a good description of it. I'm not surprised they've been looking abroad for such a long time, the old growth cedar/cypress in Japan is likely almost entirely off-limits to most. It's nice to have a bit of certainty in the material, the more I proceed with handtools to more I find I enjoy straight grain very much, I can see that if I were doing architectural projects I would definitely want everything straight grained/tightly grained.

Glad to hear it get such an endorsement, I've heard alot of good things about YC. Prior to considering it I was looking at Mahogany, but just the same it's impractical to acquire what I really want, and ultimately will make for an incredibly heavy door. I'm now somewhat mentally committed to softwoods for most architectural projects.

Andrew Hughes
11-03-2015, 10:27 PM
I too would be interested in hearing your experience planing yellow Cedar Brian.I found it to be quite tricky but once I got my angle dialed in the sun came out.The other thing that kept me on my toes was keeping track of the grain direction.Once you find it keep track of it.For me it like looking for grain in a stick of butter.
Naturally I do like the challenge same as eveyone.😎

Brian Holcombe
11-04-2015, 12:17 AM
Softwoods are typically a totally different animal, so I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what planing old growth softwoods that are tight grained are.

I have planed plenty of Spanish cedar, but I have the feeling it will be nothing like this.

george wilson
11-04-2015, 9:56 AM
Alaskan yellow cedar sounds terrific. I lived in Ketchikan and Sitka for 6 years,but only ever saw brown cedar. Certainly cut enough down,and spent Summers blasting 10' diameter stumps into pieces like pie slices,digging up huge roots in frozen ground,chain sawing them, and pulling them out in chunks with a stump puller with a Willy's car engine! I did hear about native bows made from it. One pulled at 100#. But,I never got to see that wood in all that time. We'd set those huge stumps on fire,and they'd burn all Summer,following the roots way down several feet into the ground. That,dynamite and stump puller was how we cleared the land to build a road to our house. My parents wouldn't let me have a .22,but they let me set dynamite at 13 all Summer!

Tony Shea
11-04-2015, 2:45 PM
Like I said earlier I have worked with AYC a bit and still have a couple small boards left over to use for something special. I absolutely love working this wood and find that my Kanna produces the absolute best finish. Not sure what it is, if it's the slightly lower bed angle or the burnishing effect of the wood contact points of the plane but it just creates a mirror on the AYC.

Brian Holcombe
11-04-2015, 7:39 PM
Alaskan yellow cedar sounds terrific. I lived in Ketchikan and Sitka for 6 years,but only ever saw brown cedar. Certainly cut enough down,and spent Summers blasting 10' diameter stumps into pieces like pie slices,digging up huge roots in frozen ground,chain sawing them, and pulling them out in chunks with a stump puller with a Willy's car engine! I did hear about native bows made from it. One pulled at 100#. But,I never got to see that wood in all that time. We'd set those huge stumps on fire,and they'd burn all Summer,following the roots way down several feet into the ground. That,dynamite and stump puller was how we cleared the land to build a road to our house. My parents wouldn't let me have a .22,but they let me set dynamite at 13 all Summer!

Hah, that's hilarious. Just the same I look back and wonder why my parents let me use so many machine tools when I was a kid.....dynamite however....that's in a league of its own. :D

Joseph Doyle
11-12-2015, 4:02 PM
Brian,

Google Medford Cedar in Southampton, NJ. I purchased some AYC a few years ago go build a surfboard with, and they were able to get me what I wanted fairly quickly.

Good luck.
Joe

Tom M King
11-12-2015, 4:37 PM
http://lp.altruwood.com/alaska-yellow-cedar?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjpGyBRDgrtLqzbHayb8BEiQANZauhy zTmhSsBPhY1FD7Rsh_I8VtPrF53rmrlDzmkidr4zsaAg1V8P8H AQ

Brian Holcombe
11-12-2015, 9:24 PM
Brian,

Google Medford Cedar in Southampton, NJ. I purchased some AYC a few years ago go build a surfboard with, and they were able to get me what I wanted fairly quickly.

Good luck.
Joe

http://lp.altruwood.com/alaska-yellow-cedar?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjpGyBRDgrtLqzbHayb8BEiQANZauhy zTmhSsBPhY1FD7Rsh_I8VtPrF53rmrlDzmkidr4zsaAg1V8P8H AQ

Thank you both!

Brian Holcombe
08-17-2016, 1:13 PM
I searched high and low and finally found a good supplier.

Bringing some AYC home from Boro Sawmill in Wayne, NJ today. Very good people and a wonderful product. I was lucky to stumble upon these guys and while they are geared toward commercial clients they were kind enough to make an exception for me.

Phil Mueller
08-17-2016, 1:25 PM
Probably the robe and slippers that caused the exception. I know I would.

John Kananis
08-17-2016, 2:14 PM
I searched high and low and finally found a good supplier.

Bringing some AYC home from Boro Sawmill in Wayne, NJ today. Very good people and a wonderful product. I was lucky to stumble upon these guys and while they are geared toward commercial clients they were kind enough to make an exception for me.

Hey Brian: Glad to hear that you worked it out - I'm in North Jersey myself and one of my largest struggles is finding lumber at any kind of decent price (needless to say, I don't have a favorite lumber yard). Between Jefferson Lumber and Morristown Lumber, you can get almost anything but the pricing is ridiculous; especially when purchasing anything over 3/4-4/4.

Brian Holcombe
08-17-2016, 5:04 PM
Probably the robe and slippers that caused the exception. I know I would.

Some things are just unforgettable :D

Hey Brian: Glad to hear that you worked it out - I'm in North Jersey myself and one of my largest struggles is finding lumber at any kind of decent price (needless to say, I don't have a favorite lumber yard). Between Jefferson Lumber and Morristown Lumber, you can get almost anything but the pricing is ridiculous; especially when purchasing anything over 3/4-4/4.

AYC is basically quality hardwood pricing but it's a softwood. That being said I think they are quite reasonable especially so considering that everyone else who 'carried' it had a box of parts in AYC and basically told me that everything comes through knotty...which was a non-starter. These guys provided some top grade stuff, even a few pieces VG oriented and basically all completely clear, I was shocked especially so given the trouble of finding it.

peter Joseph
08-17-2016, 5:56 PM
I've seen a board or two of Alaskan Yellow at Hearne. Its worth a call to Brian to see if they have any in stock.

Brett Luna
08-17-2016, 6:02 PM
AYC seems to be held up as a very good soft wood to use for architectural work but also seems to be a rare item at most yards.

I guess it's not just rare where you are. I don't remember seeing it my local wood monger.

Brian Holcombe
08-17-2016, 6:48 PM
I've seen a board or two of Alaskan Yellow at Hearne. Its worth a call to Brian to see if they have any in stock.

I believe they are even further from me. I'm pretty happy with the quality these guys are providing.

This piece isn't VG, but so far it's planing well.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/D359449D-323B-42CC-B261-00993CB62D58_zpsowpmiy2m.jpg

george wilson
08-17-2016, 9:20 PM
I never saw a AYC tree in 6 years of being in Alaska. All the cedar trees,most of which were huge(several feet in diameter),were of brown cedar.). I certainly helped fell plenty of it,and dynamite those 10' diameter stumps into more manageable size pieces for pulling with a stump puller we made.

I have heard of native bows made of AYC,and wished I had had some of it myself.

HOW ABOUT A BETTER PICTURE of your plank? I'd like to see the grain better.

Brian Holcombe
08-17-2016, 11:40 PM
I'll post up some of my stash tomorrow, it was impossible to buy just one.

So far i havent bested my number in mahogany but it smells much nicer getting there.

Stanley Covington
08-18-2016, 6:06 AM
Brian:

It has been a while since I bought any in bulk, and don't have the names of the lumberyards in my rolodex right now, but can get some if you need them. In any case, most any large lumber purveyor from Seattle North to BC and all of Vancouver Island will stock AYC. POC is harder to find, but is out there, mostly in Southwestern Oregon.

Stan

Brian Holcombe
08-18-2016, 7:26 AM
Thank you Stan!

POC seems to be pretty impossible in the last few years. Two local yards used to stock it in 4 x 4 form and now neither do and both are without plans to try and do so.

This stuff is pretty nice, I could see using a lot more of this and a lot less of other things. I found a source of Honduran mahogany recently and I'll probably move to this cedar for any projects I would have considered doing in Honduran mahogany. They both plane nicely but the mahogany is a really dusty wood which has been reeking havoc on my sinuses but the AYC is nice and clean as it planes.

Tony Shea
08-18-2016, 8:13 AM
I have four 2.5" thick by 12" wide by 4' long boards of AYC. I have yet to touch them as there just isn't enough there for what I want to do with it. I have been on the search for a decent source of this stuff as well with very little luck. I would love to find a source that might be willing to ship to Maine but I know that can be very difficult. Thankfully I have some good access to clear white pine up here in Maine to satisfy my urge to work some nice soft woods. I will say that our pine smells slightly more appealing than the AYC but I love the idea of the rot resistance of AYC. Plus AYC planes up so beautifully.

A house over in Southwest Harbor that I wired up ended up using AYC to shingle the entire place. It was a 10,000 sq. ft house and used an absolute metric ton of AYC shingles to side the whole place. All the interior trim was done in Hounduran Mahogany and 2 of the rooms in QS white oak. Every piece of Honduran Mahogany had a crew come in and take chains, hammers, nails, etc, to the surface to make it look stressed then painted over every bit of it. All the exterior AYC shingles were stained with a bright blue stain with zero thought of the fact they could have used eastern white cedar shingles locally from Maine for a tenth of the price. There was no one on this entire job site that thought twice about covering up these beautiful wood species and that stressed me out.

george wilson
08-18-2016, 9:20 AM
Madness!!!!!!

Brian Holcombe
08-18-2016, 10:08 PM
George, I've got a few more shots on this blog post about the competition.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/08/18/kezurou-kai-approaching-zero/

Phil Mueller
08-18-2016, 10:24 PM
Cool blog post, Brian. I had no idea the competition was down into the microns. I wish you the best of luck!

Brian Holcombe
08-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Thanks Phil! It's insane how thin they can get!

John Kananis
08-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Hey Brian, where/when is this being held?

Andrew Hughes
08-19-2016, 12:00 AM
Looks like a nice piece of Ayc.The competition sound like tons of fun.
Does everyone use their regular names.
Can you sign up with a make up handle to strike fear in the hearts of your competitors.
Something like the Devils darning needle.Or red dragon fly.
Good Luck

Aj

Stewie Simpson
08-19-2016, 1:01 AM
Brian; I noticed within your blog entry, recommendations to try Huon Pine. If you get an opportunity at a later stage, its a truly wonderful timber to work with. It janka hardness is 920lbf, compared to 580lbf with AYC. Huon Pine is a very easy timber to work with using hand tools, with yearly growth rings at a range of 0.3mm - 2mm. The wonderful smell within Huon Pine is an additional feature of this timbers character.. http://www.wood-database.com/huon-pine/

The following photo shows a rough sawn, 10 inch wide board of Huon Pine in my workshop.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/huon%20pine/_DSC0189_zpstn0mbt9o.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/huon%20pine/_DSC0189_zpstn0mbt9o.jpg.html)

A closer view of a turned piece of Huon Pine. The other species of timber is Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/huon%20pine/_DSC0190_zpszpfudlzw.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/huon%20pine/_DSC0190_zpszpfudlzw.jpg.html)

Stewie;

Eric Schmid
08-19-2016, 1:59 AM
Enjoyed the blog post. Amazing what is possible with finely honed steel and wood in skilled hands.

So how exactly does one measure a wood shaving at 2 microns accurately? Your micrometer is no slouch.

Also, you mention your level is flat to .003. Looks like an Empire level. I have four of these, mostly used for construction. While decent levels, I doubt any of them are that flat from the factory. Did you mill yours and how did you determine it was within this tolerance? I have several long levels and usually just check them against a 6' Stabila, but I just assume this is flat because it cost enough that it should be.

Good luck in the competition. Sounds like you're well on your way.

Patrick Chase
08-19-2016, 2:59 AM
Cool blog post, Brian. I had no idea the competition was down into the microns. I wish you the best of luck!

Brian, nice work and nice post!

For those used to Western measurements, 1 mil = 25.4 microns. Brian's first test pass was 1 mil, he's now down to 0.5 mil. The latter is a respectable number, but not insane given that well-tuned Western bench planes can also get down into that range on favorable wood (though they also require near-constant honing as Brian describes).

OTOH 2 microns is slightly less than 0.1 mil. I have no idea how you would maintain a continuous shaving at that point.

Brian Holcombe
08-19-2016, 8:04 AM
Looks like a nice piece of Ayc.The competition sound like tons of fun.
Does everyone use their regular names.
Can you sign up with a make up handle to strike fear in the hearts of your competitors.
Something like the Devils darning needle.Or red dragon fly.
Good Luck

Aj

Dressing like an off-duty I-banker will confuse them, knocking them off their game. :D

Thank you! I'm looking forward to the meet.

Brian; I noticed within your blog entry, recommendations to try Huon Pine. If you get an opportunity at a later stage, its a truly wonderful timber to work with. It janka hardness is 920lbf, compared to 580lbf with AYC. Huon Pine is a very easy timber to work with using hand tools, with yearly growth rings at a range of 0.3mm - 2mm. The wonderful smell within Huon Pine is an additional feature of this timbers character.. http://www.wood-database.com/huon-pine/

The following photo shows a rough sawn, 10 inch wide board of Huon Pine in my workshop.

A closer view of a turned piece of Huon Pine. The other species of timber is Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle.

Stewie;

I'd love to work with it, as it looks quite nice but rather unlikely to find any local to me. There are plenty of exotic wood importers near me but I've never come across Aussie timbers, that being said I'll keep an eye out for it.

Enjoyed the blog post. Amazing what is possible with finely honed steel and wood in skilled hands.

So how exactly does one measure a wood shaving at 2 microns accurately? Your micrometer is no slouch.

Also, you mention your level is flat to .003. Looks like an Empire level. I have four of these, mostly used for construction. While decent levels, I doubt any of them are that flat from the factory. Did you mill yours and how did you determine it was within this tolerance? I have several long levels and usually just check them against a 6' Stabila, but I just assume this is flat because it cost enough that it should be.

Good luck in the competition. Sounds like you're well on your way.

Thank you! My mic is a screw style, where the mic that they use for the competition are a compression style. Same maker, but I opted for the style I have long before thinking of using it for this purpose, so I have to use feel in addition to the mic to see if I'm getting closer.

Brian, nice work and nice post!

For those used to Western measurements, 1 mil = 25.4 microns. Brian's first test pass was 1 mil, he's now down to 0.5 mil. The latter is a respectable number, but not insane given that well-tuned Western bench planes can also get down into that range on favorable wood (though they also require near-constant honing as Brian describes).

OTOH 2 microns is slightly less than 0.1 mil. I have no idea how you would maintain a continuous shaving at that point.

Thank you!

I have no idea how they do it. Chris Hall has a photo of someone's shaving on his blog with it coming out of the plane, up and over the blade. stretched with a small object holding it and the mic reading 3 micron. The shaving looks like webbing type material at that point.

Brian Holcombe
08-19-2016, 8:05 AM
Hey Brian, where/when is this being held?

Hi John, Being held in Brooklyn, NYC by Mokuchi. I'm certain it is worth stopping by.

Pat Barry
08-19-2016, 9:04 AM
You might try using a thin shim between the shaving and mocrometer post. Then you would measure the shim by itself and subtract that number from your combined shaving plus shim measurement. If your too has a rezero function you can zero it with the shim, then measure with the shim and shaving and get accurate measurement

Stewie Simpson
08-19-2016, 9:13 AM
Brian; do you need more than 1 board. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tasmanian-Huon-Pine-Long-slab-Hall-Table-Furniture-Bar-Top-/222091227611?hash=item33b5ab31db:g:gZkAAMXQ3kNTh-XY

Stewie;

Brian Holcombe
08-19-2016, 9:28 AM
That's a good idea, thanks Pat! I can re-zero with a shim, so I will put it to use.

Brian Holcombe
08-19-2016, 9:29 AM
Brian; do you need more than 1 board. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tasmanian-Huon-Pine-Long-slab-Hall-Table-Furniture-Bar-Top-/222091227611?hash=item33b5ab31db:g:gZkAAMXQ3kNTh-XY

Stewie;

I'll take all of them at that price. :D

Patrick Chase
08-19-2016, 12:53 PM

Empire makes their higher-end levels with pretty accurately post-machined aluminum surfaces. I checked mine against a 48" straightedge (which is itself spec'ed to +/- 0.2 mils per foot, no prizes for guessing who made it), and it's easily within 3 mils.

The leveling functionality is only spec'ed to +/-0.5 mils/inch, but that's mostly to accommodate the rotational tolerance of the vials/sensors in the level. That works out to atan(0.0005) = +/- 2 arc-minutes, which isn't shabby.

Brian Holcombe
08-19-2016, 1:53 PM
Apologies for not responding to that.

It's an 8' level and was within .020" when I purchased it (they guarantee a per foot accuracy of a certain amount (maybe .005" IIRC). I straightened it to .003".

george wilson
08-19-2016, 3:14 PM
Thanks,Brian. Looks like nice wood!

Eric Schmid
08-19-2016, 8:17 PM
Jeez, I had to go look stuff up after reading this. Do you do trig just for fun:)?

Patrick Chase
08-19-2016, 10:46 PM
Jeez, I had to go look stuff up after reading this. Do you do trig just for fun:)?

Doesn't everybody?

Brian Holcombe
08-20-2016, 12:00 AM
My pleasure George! I can't wait to use it for more than plane shavings.

Eric, It certainly feels that way sometimes. I feel that stretching my abilities here pays off in other aspects, when everything is under a microscope (literally in some cases) it highlights errors in process that can be improved upon in normal use.

george wilson
08-20-2016, 9:39 AM
I'd love to get some real straight grained ALC and make an archery bow from it. Possibly back the bow with bamboo. I saw an antique Japanese bow made from something like purple heart,backed with bamboo. But,drawing a very old bow is something VERY PERILOUS!! Ben Hill,famous 1950's bow hunter,used a bamboo backed bow.

Brian Holcombe
08-20-2016, 10:57 AM
How much do you need to make two of them :D

george wilson
08-20-2016, 4:37 PM
Depends upon how many I BREAK!!:) Normally I'd say a 1 1/2" square piece 6 feet long would be a minimum size piece to make a long bow,IF the grain was nice and straight.

Brian Holcombe
08-21-2016, 9:06 AM
George I'll pick up some extra on the next run and request VG.

george wilson
08-21-2016, 4:11 PM
Brian,please PM me avbout any AYC you get for me and I'll send you payment for the wood and shipping. And,thank you!!

Brian Holcombe
08-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Will do! May be a little bit of a wait.