PDA

View Full Version : Gressel Vice price help

Mark Almeidus
11-02-2015, 9:59 AM
A man is offering me a small gressel vice. Everythng functiones well. The price is 40 euro. I dont have experience with vises and their price. The quality looks good and you cant find this type of quality here.
Do you think the price is fair for this vice? I cant find this model nor price on the internet.

Jim Koepke
11-02-2015, 1:12 PM
It looks to be a light duty vise for working metal.

The price is more than I would pay, but then the availability factor is very different.

One of my unused vises would likely cost more than 40 Euro to ship to you.

jtk

Bill Houghton
11-02-2015, 2:57 PM
What will you use it for? Small vises like that can be handy if you do a lot of fine work, so if you're a model maker or you make your own metal hardware (hinges and the like), it might be worth it. You won't want to hammer on anything clamped in the vise with any hammer heavier than 100 grams or so. But filing and the like should be OK.

Karl Andersson
11-03-2015, 7:28 AM
Hi Mark,
Gressel is a good Swiss brand, Leinen makes comparable products (you may be able to find a Gressel dealer online, I just found Leinen first). Leinen's similar vice, if it is the same size, costs 203,50 Euro brand new at this site: http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/trend/SCHR/Schraubstock-Leinen.html .

Do an internet search for "gressel schraubstock" and you may find your model, maybe even see what a good used price is.
Karl

Mark Almeidus
11-03-2015, 8:54 PM
I made a deal for 35 euro at the end. I find it realy usefull, its portable and you can position it vericaly and horizontaly, when it comes for carving and sawing even light touch hamering.
As Jim and Bill pointed out could come handy for metal working.
Karl, I didnt expected such high prices for a vice, probably they are worth for what they can handle.
Jim, I will have you in mind when I will need another vice.
Thanks guys :)

Jim Koepke
11-04-2015, 1:24 AM
I didnt expected such high prices for a vice, probably they are worth for what they can handle.

35 euro isn't a bad price. Prices can fluctuate wildly without rhyme or reason. Most of the time my purchase decision considers whether it can be resold at a higher price. Often, even if I think it can "bring in a little money" I might pass if it isn't something wanted or needed for my work.

jtk