PDA

View Full Version : Workbench to make toys?

Brian Sommers
11-01-2015, 5:11 PM
I'm torn with the workbench I need to make wooden toys. I have a standard mdf wooden standard folding table. Would this work ok? I'm thinking I don't need one of those heavy workbench but maybe I don't have a clue?

Brian Henderson
11-01-2015, 5:55 PM
All that really matters is if it works for you. Is it easy to work with? Can you do what you want to do? If so, who cares?

David Eisenhauer
11-01-2015, 6:46 PM
What Brian said. If you have prior experience building wooden toys, the answer should be a little easier to arrive at. If you have not been building wooden toys or other items similar in size, complexity and materials, then get started with the table you have and, as you work, you will start putting together the plan for what may work better as you note deficiencies with the current table. Hardly anyone ends up with their first bench/worktop as being the final one. How much space you have for a bench will dictate some of the decision for sure, but (in my opinion for toy making) a sturdy base (not rickety) with a lighter work top works better than a light base with a heavier top. A heavier top can replace the lighter one down the road easier than having to re do the base. Definitely not everyone needs one of the fat boy split top Ruobos. Also, the correct-for-you-and-the-task-at-hand benchtop height is important.