PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding next project

Aaron Conway
11-01-2015, 12:53 PM
I would say my woodworking skills are between beginner and intermediate. I'm trying to find projects that will continue to build up new skills. I have a decently equipped shop but am missing a bandsaw, jointer and planer. Every project I find online requires varying thickness wood. A tool chest plan I found needs 1/4", 5/8" and 1 1/8" pieces of wood. The big box stores have limited supply of thin pieces and probably nothing over 3/4". There is a hardwood supplier not too far away but it's been years since I've been there and I don't remember seeing thin stock and thicker stock was rough sawn. I'm sure most woodworkers went through this dilemma at some point. What did you do?

Thanks,

Aaron

Andrew Hughes
11-01-2015, 1:18 PM
This is a easy one start looking at jointers I would suggest a 8 inch.I say a flat face and tru square edge more important than two parallel surfaces.

Doug Garson
11-01-2015, 2:15 PM
I would disagree with Andrew, if you can only afford one, get a planer. You can face joint on a planer with a planer sled and edge joint on a table saw or router table with a sled or split fence setup. Thickness planing on a jointer would be difficult.

Kevin McCluney
11-01-2015, 3:06 PM
A lunchbox planer along with even a narrow jointer will open up a world of project possibilities. I'd put the planer ahead of the jointer if only getting one of the two was possible for the reason Doug mentions. I might think differently except I've never had issues getting decently flat rough-sawn boards at my local hardwood supplier. Because of that I've been able to get along fine with a 6" planer for the past 3 decades.

Andrew Hughes
11-01-2015, 3:29 PM
Naw better to learn woodworking with proper tools and machines that do the job intended.That way do don't end up with a jigs and fixtures hanging from the walls of your shop that take up space.
Id rather get my lumber processed quickly than save money,with cleaver work arounds.

Jerry Miner
11-01-2015, 3:59 PM
If you're not ready to invest in a jointer and/or planer (a "well-equipped" shop has both) you generally have three options:

1. Do projects that use lumber "as is" from your lumber source. You may have to modify plans to accommodate the available materials.

2. Get someone else to mill your stock. Maybe find a local cabinet shop that will mill for a fee. Or join a local woodworking club and make friends with someone with a "well-equipped' shop. Take a class at a local junior college with a woodworking shop.

3. Do your milling by hand. Neanderthals prefer this method. Too much work for me.

Doug Garson
11-01-2015, 5:09 PM
I think Andrew and I illustrate two different approaches to woodworking. While I agree with using the right tool for the job, for me the right tool includes a $2 shop made jig to replace a $1000 "proper machine ". Even Norm Abrams who had a seemingly unlimited budget for machines still used lot's of jigs. As a hobby woodworker, half the fun is making my own router lift, planer jig, router mortise jig etc. If I was a pro woodworker making my living in the shop I might lean more towards Andrew's approach. So to the OP, there are lot's of choices and depending on your circumstances and whether you enjoy making your own shop jigs and fixtures or not you can spend your money on a bunch of single purpose machines or your time making jigs to get multiple uses out of a few basic machines.

Matt Day
11-01-2015, 7:29 PM
There's no way I'd suggest a jointer before a planer. You can jig a planer to work like a jointer but you can't jig a jointer to work like a planer.

Side rant: I hate that autocorrect always wants to change planer to planet!

Doug Garson
11-01-2015, 8:06 PM
Side rant: I hate that autocorrect always wants to change planer to planet!
Yes, mine keeps changing planer to planter even after I added planer to the dictionary.:confused:

Myk Rian
11-01-2015, 8:38 PM
Someone you know have plants?

How about a 2 step folding ladder?

Lighthouse?

Toddler toys?

Andrew Hughes
11-01-2015, 8:40 PM
Aaron Doug make a very good point I have not cons.Some woodworker are very good at making jigs and fixtures I am not one.I can make a decent sled for my table saw but that's about it.
My first jointer was a craftsman I paid 50.00.I like jointers so I will hold my ground on that.

Aaron Conway
11-01-2015, 9:37 PM
Thanks to everybody for your thoughts. Looks like a jointer and planer are getting moved up on my to-buy list. I just found a factory refurbished DW734 for only $329 but I hesitate because I don't want to be buying a bigger, better planer in a couple years. Time for some research.

Cheers,

Aaron

Joe O'Connor
11-01-2015, 9:58 PM
When I first started I built tons of cabinets and small furniture without a jointer or planer. All I had was a portable table saw and a miter saw. Even now that I have both I usually have my lumber supplier surface and straight line rip my material. Your projects will tell you what equipment you need. You would not regret that planer purchase, it's a nice machine.

John Goodin
11-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Aaron,
I don't think there is a right or wrong order to get a jointer or planer or any other tool for that matter. Get what works best for you for how and what you build. Personally, I have no problem getting rough sawn material in a condition that a lunchbox planer can not transform into furniture grade material. Therefore I have no need for a jointer. Like many space is also a factor and would rather use it for a drum sander.

Before you do anything take visit to your local lumberyard and look around at what they have. Also talk to a sales rep tell them your situation. If it is a well run yard they will see you as a future customer and provide some good advice. Many lumber yards provide varying finishing services that may be useful for your next project.

as far as the Dewalt DW 734. It is a good machine and you would have no trouble reselling in a couple years for a couple hundred bucks. Thing is that machine can handle most of the material that hobbyists will run through a planer and it takes up little space. I d be willing to bet it's cousin the dw735 is the most owned planer by members on this forum.

Rick Potter
11-02-2015, 1:47 AM
There are mail order places that sell wood of all sizes and types. Perhaps that will keep you going till you decide what tool is next.

Rich Engelhardt
11-02-2015, 6:29 AM
I just found a factory refurbished DW734 for only $329 but I hesitate because I don't want to be buying a bigger, better planer in a couple years. Time for some research.The 734 is a real work horse.
I ran about 60 boards (6" wide by 8' long ~ 1" thick - took them down to 3/4" thick) through one the past Summer over the course of a few days.
The 734 was more than up to the task. I was the weak link. Combination of boredom and not being able to spend a lot of time on my feet slowed me down.
(you think sanding is boring? Ha! feeding boards through a planer is boredom at it's worst!)

Pick up a Dust Right separator from Rockler and hook it up to the 734 and have at it. The rough cheery I planed down filled the Dust Right with about every other board.

Ok - having said all that...
I paid $288 shipped to my door for my 734 a few years ago when Amazon had them on a blow out sale.
Amazon has the 735 for $549 right now.
I believe I'd give the 735 some real serious thought. The two speeds and improved chip collection are worth it (IMHO).

Planers make a ton of chips.....

Aaron Conway
11-02-2015, 5:55 PM
I'm off today and tomorrow taking a couple days off and was about to leave for my local hardwood dealer when I checked on this thread and did a quick search for DW735. I came across the Sears Outlet web site and came across this deal at a Sears about 45 minutes from my house.

The web site said it was refurbished but when I picked it up the guy said it wasn't, it was being dropped from the store. SCOOOOORE!

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

Aaron

Rich Engelhardt
11-02-2015, 5:58 PM
Nice!
The 735 is definitely a keeper.

Gary Yoder
11-02-2015, 6:36 PM
Score!! How about that for timing!

David Eisenhauer
11-02-2015, 7:02 PM
Before I saw your score, I was going to say that my hardwood supplier sells "S4S" (surfaced four sides) hardwood in addition to the rough sawn 5/4, 6/4, etc. Sounds like you are flying now. Good find.

Mike Henderson
11-02-2015, 7:26 PM
I'm off today and tomorrow taking a couple days off and was about to leave for my local hardwood dealer when I checked on this thread and did a quick search for DW735. I came across the Sears Outlet web site and came across this deal at a Sears about 45 minutes from my house.

The web site said it was refurbished but when I picked it up the guy said it wasn't, it was being dropped from the store. SCOOOOORE!

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

Aaron

Wow! Great price. Congratulations.

BTW, when I saw the title of your OP "Trouble Finding Next Project", my first thought was "This guy is not married." My wife has a list that will keep me going until I'm 90:)

Mike

Doug Garson
11-02-2015, 7:32 PM
Well done, when I saw your earlier post on the DW734 for $329 I thought good price! But $324 for a DW325 is a steal. You should have money left over for a jointer.

Matt Day
11-02-2015, 7:35 PM
Great luck finding such a great deal locally!

There's one in the Tucson sears for $315!

Andrew Hughes
11-02-2015, 8:55 PM
That's is a great find, Dewalt makes a good planer. Looks like you got lots of choices on Craig's list in NH for jointers.Theres a nice 6inch delta and lots of old school iron.
I promise not to talk about jointers anymore.😶

Mike Schuch
11-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Thanks to everybody for your thoughts. Looks like a jointer and planer are getting moved up on my to-buy list. I just found a factory refurbished DW734 for only $329 but I hesitate because I don't want to be buying a bigger, better planer in a couple years. Time for some research.

Cheers,

Aaron

You will always "NEED" a bigger better jointer and planer. My first jointer was a 6" Harbor Freight jointer that I paid $160 for. That poor jointer only lasted me 20 years before Iinherited my fathers 8" jointer and sold the old HF jointer to a friend for $200. It is nice to have big industrial tools but there is a lot you can do with consumer grade tools.

Brian Henderson
11-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Well, you will always *WANT* a bigger everything, but you don't necessarily need it. It might be easier but you will find how to deal with whatever tools you actually have. There is always a way.

John Goodin
11-03-2015, 12:25 AM
That maybe the best 324 bucks you spend as a woodworker. Once you run a couple of rough sawn cherry or walnut boards through and see what comes out the other side you will never want to buy project wood from the BORG again. I love mine and recently ran 16/4 hard maple through it and only needed a little, light finish sanding. Just have good hearing protection cause it sounds like a jet engine.

Aaron Conway
11-03-2015, 8:26 AM
That's is a great find, Dewalt makes a good planer. Looks like you got lots of choices on Craig's list in NH for jointers.Theres a nice 6inch delta and lots of old school iron.
I promise not to talk about jointers anymore.

Yeah, lots available. It will have to wait until after the new year as I've been on a bit of a tool buying binge lately. Jointer is definitely next on my list though.

Cheers,

Aaron

glenn bradley
11-03-2015, 8:33 AM
This is a easy one start looking at jointers I would suggest a 8 inch.I say a flat face and tru square edge more important than two parallel surfaces.

I would disagree with Andrew, if you can only afford one, get a planer. You can face joint on a planer with a planer sled and edge joint on a table saw or router table with a sled or split fence setup. Thickness planing on a jointer would be difficult.

The great thing about a forum is you get free opinions from a variety of people who see things from different angles ;-)

If you are not inclined (or equipped) to do this sort of work by hand and are not ready to move up to a jointer/planer setup in the shop, you are pretty much restricted to what ready made material you can find.

As to the "if I only got one" question . . . I am in the planer camp. You can joint board with a planer and a sled, you cannot properly mill boards to thickness on a jointer. To elevate your woodworking in a "tailed" shop, you want both. But, if it is to be only one, get a planer and make a sled.

324597 . 324598