PDA

View Full Version : How many BF did you mill this year?

John TenEyck
10-31-2015, 7:13 PM
Today I milled what likely will be my last 2 logs of the year. That got me to thinking about how much wood I've milled this year with my modest chainsaw mill. A rough estimate is somewhere around 2500 BF. The logs included walnut, ambrosia maple, and white and red oak.

So, how much wood did you mill this year? And when will you call it a wrap for the year?

John

Danny Hamsley
11-03-2015, 9:01 PM
I will probably saw about 20,000 BF this year. Here in GA, I saw year round. Actually, winter is better for sawing for me. Summer is brutally hot.

Cody Colston
11-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Actually, winter is better for sawing for me. Summer is brutally hot.

Ditto for East Texas. I don't saw in the summer. Just too hot.

I estimate I've sawn about 3000 bf this year, most of that SYP but also some Walnut, Ash and ERC.

Dennis Ford
11-04-2015, 8:03 PM
I did not keep an accurate count but estimate 5000 bd ft for this year. Red oak, Post oak, River birch, Pine and a little Sweet gum so far. I cut a fair amount of Red Cedar last year but none so far this year. This year is not over until the next year begins.

Scott T Smith
11-05-2015, 10:01 PM
I don't keep an accurate count either but it's somewhere between 50K - 100K bd ft.

Jamie Buxton
11-05-2015, 10:34 PM
John, what do you do with 2500 bdft of lumber? I'm guessing that's more than you can use personally. But you're not up in at the volume of Scott or Danny, where they can make a full-time business with it.

John TenEyck
11-06-2015, 1:56 PM
No, definitely not in Scott and Danny's league. I know; sounds like a lot of wood for a hobbiest doesn't it. But for the most part that lumber just seems to disappear. I probably use 500 BF or more every year in my furniture/cabinet making. Some years I don't get any good logs so I don't mill anything; inventory goes down those years. I sell a few KD slabs now and then, ones that are small enough to put in my 32" x 8' kiln. Interestingly, I couldn't sell a one green. For some strange reason people don't want to wait 2 or 3 years before making something. Some I give to friends. But it's accumulated, too and I've got a basement full of lumber. I can hardly move around down there at the moment so I need to do another sort and purge of anything that isn't A1 stuff. I gave away several hundred BF of hickory and pin oak last year to a friend. I wasn't going to use it anyway and he had a need for it. This time I think I'll bring it up to my garage and have a $0.50/BF sale on Craigslist. A few hundred BF of sales will net enough to pay for a couple of new chains and saw maintenance items, and gas and oil for the year. I might also sell some nice honey locust and catalpa that is all clear that I have no idea what to do with. I really need an outbuilding to put my kiln into and to store lumber. That's not a perfect solution either but it would give me my basement back.

John

Cody Colston
11-06-2015, 9:40 PM
I don't keep an accurate count either but it's somewhere between 50K - 100K bd ft.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek:

Todd Burch
11-23-2015, 6:21 PM
Seeing as I've only used my mill twice, I reckon about 200 bf. But, the year isn't over and I have 37 logs queued up with more to go pick up when I can get to them.

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2016, 3:32 PM
I milled about 3,000 BF this year............Regards, Rod.

Patrick McCarthy
01-15-2016, 4:08 PM
I milled about 3,000 BF this year............Regards, Rod.

Yikes, Rod. I am surprised - impressed too! I am well aware of the Hammer set-up you have, and appreciate your frequent contributions here (particularly on anything electrical) but didn't realize you had a sawmill operation too! You can't possibly be using all that, so you must have an enviable stash tucked away . . . .

Tom Hogard
01-16-2016, 12:38 AM
Cold snap at the end of the year and I didn't hit my goal but did pass 38k bf. 2014 was 30k so 25% growth, looking to pass 50k next year.

Thaddeus Severy
01-17-2016, 8:06 PM
I am a first time mill user this year. My garage burnt down in January of 13. I was under insured so I used the insurance money to pay off the mortgage. I have been rebuilding my shop with out of pocket cash. 24X42' with an 8X16' addition, 16' interior walls, 20' exterior walls including 18" footers and 2' floor/roof trusses (designed to remove the roof and add a second floor)

I purchased the rough cut 2X6 framing, but I have milled my exterior walls. I am using Double Hurricane planking format for the exterior walls and the base layer for the roof. To do this I needed 12.3k bf of 1"X8" white pine I cut from my property and some neighbors here in town. I just finished in December, milling nearly every weekend and I did 13k bf. I am currently gearing up to do 8k bf of spruce for my trusses.

It is a lot of work, but I know when its done it will be ALL MY WORK!! :)