PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and my most recent project - live edge maple table

Chris Kiely
10-31-2015, 6:56 PM
Hi all,

I just joined and wanted to say hi and introduce myself, and show off a recent project I completed a short time ago. It's a live edge Big-Leaf Maple we brought to MB from the West Coast when we moved a couple of years ago. I met a glass guy here and he helped me make the lakes that go into the table.

First time uploading photos here so I hope this works out :)

Ted Calver
10-31-2015, 7:43 PM
Welcome to the creek! That's a great looking table, Chris. I really like the glass lakes.

Phil Mueller
10-31-2015, 9:30 PM
Hello Chris and welcome! Beautiful table...nice work on the lakes. I'm assuming MB is Myrtle Beach?
Thanks for sharing.
Phil

Mike Ontko
10-31-2015, 10:00 PM
Hi Chris! Great idea combining the glass and maple.

Chris Kiely
11-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks Gents - MB is for Manitoba, Canada!

Jeff Monson
11-02-2015, 9:19 AM
Welcome Chris!! Really like the table, that's a nice twist for a live edge piece adding in the lakes. Very well done.

Jebediah Eckert
11-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Ah Manitoba......Welcome and beautiful table and pictures.

Joe O'Connor
11-05-2015, 4:20 PM
Very cool. I've gotta ask, how do you do the lakes. Again awesome job.

Jamie Buxton
11-05-2015, 8:29 PM
Awesome table!
But you gotta tell us how you made the glass lakes.

Chris Kiely
11-08-2015, 9:45 AM
I have a glass guy. I gave him a mold of the basic shapes that I want, and he cut plates of ⅛" glass to fit my molds. Because we wanted some color in the lakes to give it the appearance of depth (darker in the middle), we added different layers of colour. I think these lakes have 6 layers to them.

After the layers are all cut and fitted, he then casts it all together in the mold I gave him at really high heat (1,000* plus) and then cools it down slowly. It's a really cool process, and the fella's name is Matt, and he runs this glass shop in Winnipeg: https://www.prairiestudioglass.com.

Once I get the glass pieces back, then I used a router to make a positive, then another negative which I used to rout the lakes into the table.

It was a fun process. We brought the wood back with us from the West Coast when we moved, it was harvested 20 miles from our house.

Thank you for your interest :)

Jamie Buxton
11-08-2015, 10:07 AM
I have a glass guy. I gave him a mold of the basic shapes that I want, and he cut plates of ⅛" glass to fit my molds. Because we wanted some color in the lakes to give it the appearance of depth (darker in the middle), we added different layers of colour. I think these lakes have 6 layers to them.

After the layers are all cut and fitted, he then casts it all together in the mold I gave him at really high heat (1,000* plus) and then cools it down slowly. It's a really cool process, and the fella's name is Matt, and he runs this glass shop in Winnipeg: https://www.prairiestudioglass.com.

Once I get the glass pieces back, then I used a router to make a positive, then another negative which I used to rout the lakes into the table.

It was a fun process. We brought the wood back with us from the West Coast when we moved, it was harvested 20 miles from our house.

Thank you for your interest :)

What material did you use to make the mold that has to withstand a thousand degrees?

Chris Kiely
11-08-2015, 9:22 PM
I forget the name of it, but it comes in a sheet, and has a density and appearance similar to drywall. I think it's the same stuff that insulates the sides of blast furnaces, only in sheet form.

It machines quite well with a router.

i just looked it up and more accurate way to describe the process would be fused glass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fused_glass

Paul McGoveran
11-17-2015, 9:55 PM
Killer, absolutely killer.

Andrew Helman
11-18-2015, 6:54 PM
Very tastefully done. Nice aesthetics.