PDA

View Full Version : Household Tip O' the Day from the Village Idiot

Rick Potter
10-31-2015, 6:56 PM
The scene: A homeowner with an armload of toilet paper is about to put it in a cabinet above the toilet. He reaches for the cabinet knob.... one roll slips a bit....he makes a Herculean effort to grab it....and the rest of the rolls start to, well....roll.

The tip: ALWAYS close the toilet lid before opening a cabinet above it. Don't ask.

Rich Riddle
11-01-2015, 10:46 AM
Don't forget to install new oil and a new oil filter after draining your oil pan.

Tom Stenzel
11-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Don't forget to install new oil and a new oil filter after draining your oil pan.

Tom's corollary to Rich's Oil Change Rule: Install drain plug BEFORE pouring in the new oil.

Thank you.

-Tom

Rick Potter
11-01-2015, 8:59 PM
Rick's corollary to Rich's Oil Change Rule: If you have a Japanese motorcycle, make sure it doesn't have TWO drain plugs. Again, don't ask.

Don Morris
11-01-2015, 9:50 PM
Don's simple sewer rule: When roto routing sewer, cover sewer hole before placing small tools next to sewer hole.

Myk Rian
11-02-2015, 8:11 AM
NEVER stick the leaf blower in the roof-top vent pipe, unless you want to turn the toilet into a bidet.
DAMHIK

Mike Circo
11-02-2015, 8:51 AM
NEVER stick the leaf blower in the roof-top vent pipe, unless you want to turn the toilet into a bidet.
DAMHIK

Way more information needed on that.

Myk Rian
11-02-2015, 9:12 AM
Had to get the wasp nest out of the pipe. Not one of my finest moments.

Tom Stenzel
11-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Rick's corollary to Rich's Oil Change Rule: If you have a Japanese motorcycle, make sure it doesn't have TWO drain plugs. Again, don't ask.

What's really scary is the time I dumped a quart of Mobil-1 into my Honda motorcycle. No drain plug!

Rick, are we both swirling around in the same maelstrom?

-Tom

Harold Burrell
11-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Wow...you guys have given me a great idea for a video blog...

One could literally follow me around all day, every day, and get TONS of "what not to do" material. :eek:

Mark Blatter
11-02-2015, 2:06 PM
What I learned in the past six weeks is that you do not rely on the 2x6 you are moving to support your weight. Not when it is 8' off the ground.

Mark Blatter
11-02-2015, 2:08 PM
What I learned in the past six weeks is that you do not rely on the 2x6 you are moving to support your weight. Not when it is 8' off the ground.

Also, do not stand on a wheelbarrow (right side up) when painting the trim on your house. Wheelbarrows, but definition, are designed to move.

Rick Potter
11-03-2015, 1:30 PM
Tom,

Sounds like we both did it.

In my case, I changed the oil on my new Suzuki 400 (1980?). Took out the drain plug, and only got about a cup full or so. Wow, am I lucky I checked this I am thinking. Put in two quarts of new oil and proceeded to ride it. Didn't take too long till the engine started acting like it was seizing up. Long story short, called the dealer, and he asked if I had used both drain plugs. Turned out I just drained the filter, not the motor, and I had almost 4 quarts in a two quart motor. OOPS.

ken masoumi
11-03-2015, 5:14 PM
Tom's corollary to Rich's Oil Change Rule: Install drain plug BEFORE pouring in the new oil.

Thank you.

-Tom
And I thought I was the only one in my neighborhood who could spill a Gallon of motor oil on the driveway before a passersby (with a smile) would point out the mess :o it looks like it happens more often than we think.

Jason Roehl
11-04-2015, 6:33 AM
DAMHIK

I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that.

Thanks for the chuckle!