PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Scout Emblem, anyone?

Scott Shepherd
10-31-2015, 5:48 PM
Anyone by chance happen to have a vector version of this Eagle Scout emblem? I need it for a project.

Thanks!

Nicolas Silva
10-31-2015, 6:18 PM
Have you tried the bitmap tracing feature of your Corel X5? It should be able to handle that quite easily. I'm not at home so can't
do it from here.

Ross Moshinsky
10-31-2015, 6:31 PM
Source: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3a/9d/7d/3a9d7d6841c85396651b090e770f7304.jpg (I believe. I did it a few years ago)

Scott Shepherd
10-31-2015, 6:43 PM
Nicolas, I did try it in Illustrator and it just messed up some of the small detail and I couldn't tweak it enough to make it work right.

That's Ross, that's the ticket, the pdf was perfect. I appreciate that!

I spoke too soon! The letters are a little too choppy, from a trace. Looks like that's the same issue I had. Unfortunately, it's going to be a little larger, so those will show up.

Any sources for good, clean ones? I guess I'll recreate it from scratch if needed.

Bob Hoff
10-31-2015, 7:34 PM
I might mention to you that BSA has copyrighted all their different logo's, emblems and trademarks. They are protective of them and allow appropriate people to use them if they are approved for a BSA license. Just a heads up.

David Somers
10-31-2015, 7:37 PM
Scott,

Here is a link to an EPS image of the emblem.
http://www.52image.com/eShowProducts.asp?id=10663

See if that helps. I think this is free.

Dave

Ross Moshinsky
10-31-2015, 7:52 PM
Nicolas, I did try it in Illustrator and it just messed up some of the small detail and I couldn't tweak it enough to make it work right.

That's Ross, that's the ticket, the pdf was perfect. I appreciate that!

I spoke too soon! The letters are a little too choppy, from a trace. Looks like that's the same issue I had. Unfortunately, it's going to be a little larger, so those will show up.

Any sources for good, clean ones? I guess I'll recreate it from scratch if needed.

That's why I posted the source file. Same issue. I can say with relative confidence you're not going to find a clean source file. If you want clean letters, you're going to have to type them in or do a bit of node editing. It wasn't required for my project and they weren't going to pay me to fix the logo.

One thing also to add: the logo attached is no longer the current logo, which is why it's so hard to find a clean file. The current logo is on here: http://www.nesa.org/logos.html

Kev Williams
10-31-2015, 8:33 PM
give me 20 minutes, I'll make you one... :)

(I have one already, but it's too choppy for large)

Kev Williams
10-31-2015, 10:45 PM
Took a little longer than 20 minutes ;) ...

Let me know if this works for you... 2 versions, one doesn't have the black bars. Saved as a Corel 10 file...

-- just dawned on me, I didn't clean up the original outline ovals, and I made some slight changes to the lettering...

aahh....just noticed the text is negative in yours... brb...

Kev Williams
10-31-2015, 11:49 PM
--now there's 3 versions :)

Scott Shepherd
11-01-2015, 7:50 PM
Thanks Kev, I have downloaded them, but don't have Corel on this computer. As soon as I get to work Monday morning, I'll give them a try. I appreciate the help and you taking the time to do it.

Bob, no worries, it's just me trying to help out and Eagle Scout, nothing to do with sales, revenue, or creating products to sell.

Scott Shepherd
11-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Kev, that graphic looked fantastic! Did you manually create most of it, or use one of your older programs to trace it? Whatever you did, it looks great, thanks for helping out.

Chris Corwin
11-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Here is mine that I vectorized and cleaned up from a raster. This is a DXF and was made for CNC work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0duWhaERytIRTdSMVJ2eUMyeUE/view?usp=sharing

I've made a LOT of eagle scout plaques... Make sure you list the Scout's Board of Review date and NOT the Court of Honor! Common mistake...

Kev Williams
11-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Kev, that graphic looked fantastic! Did you manually create most of it, or use one of your older programs to trace it? Whatever you did, it looks great, thanks for helping out.
I had the 'choppy' version saved (without the black bars), I put that logo on swords about 1" tall. I didn't care for the eagle on that one (the scroll is skeewampus) so I scanned the one in the link Dave posted. I put in my own text, and I digitized the eagle with Casmate. The editing to the eagle I did was to create 1 decent "dish" on his chest, then copied it onto all the other ones (except the top 3), resized as necessary then deleted the originals. I smoothed a bump on his head, and smoothed the scroll curves, and that was it. The rest is exactly as Casmate scanned it. Adding the black bars and getting them to paint the right way was the trick! ;)