PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressors 2 stage

Ben Abate
10-31-2015, 2:26 PM
Hello all,

Just walked up from my shop where my air compressor of 15 or so years just blew up. The motor just scattered all over the floor. Oh well. Always wanted a 60 gallon 2 stage so I guess this is the time to buy one. Any suggestions? A few years ago I had a Quincey all picked out but never pulled the trigger because I had a working compressor. I'm not wanting to break the bank on this but would still like a nice one that is capable of running some air tools and that I can spray finishes with. The old one was a Sears Contractor series with a 33 gallon tank and a oil less 7.5 hp NOISEY motor. Seems like it ran a lot and I had my system pretty well sealed up. Maybe just the nature of this oil less type compressors. Love to find a nice used one

any help is appreciated.

thank you

Ben

Ben Abate
10-31-2015, 3:44 PM
I apologize this thread needs moved to general topics. Please do so

thank you

Mike Heidrick
10-31-2015, 10:05 PM
What is the budget and oinly new or used to?

Greg Bender
11-01-2015, 7:59 AM
You don't mention a budget but IR makes a TS-3 used, or a TS-4 new that puts out about 14 to 15 cfm and has a 60 gallon tank. They are generally under a $1k at Tractor Supply and online.Pretty good performer and within reason is also quiet. I work for IR in a test facility ,have my pick, and own that unit. The TS-4 puts out a little more air than the 3 but would not be a deal breaker.

Ben Abate
11-01-2015, 1:13 PM
Fellows,

1K or so is my budget. The IR sounds like it might be a contender. I was not considering an IR because I assumed they were pretty loud. I was an iron worker so i have used a lot of compressors but in our line of work noise was not a priority. We didn't care as long as it pumped air. I have a Tractor Supply near by I might have to stop and see. I've found a Quincy online that I liked also a QT Pro 5 i believe for about $1350.00 shipped and no tax from Air Compressor Direct. I've read a bunch of reviews and for the most part the reviews are positive. Noise level is pretty good as some say. I was given a suggestion to buy two smaller units and connect them together to get a relative high CFM with the convenience of having two portables. but only need to have one running when the demand is low for air. The fellow suggested California Air compressors. He said he has been wanting to do this for some time. I never gave this a thought. I would have two smaller 5-6 or possibly 6-7 cfm compressors. Use one when only needing air for a machine and then engage the other when spraying. I would think tank size would have a bearing on this wouldn't you think?

thanks for the info. Hopefully the moderator will move this thread. I did not notice when i posted it that I was in the classified section. my apologizes

Rich Riddle
11-01-2015, 1:28 PM
Many of us have started threads in the wrong section, but more than likely this will move to the shop forum. Having been in a shop with very loud tools, I would seriously consider paying more for one that didn't make lots of noise.

Michael Arruda
11-01-2015, 1:34 PM
If you don't mind playing with mechanical things, think about used. older compressors by Quincy, Speedaire or IR are a great buy as they were meant to be run 3 shifts all day, every day. I have a Speedaire that was run constantly for 30 years in a UPS sorting facility and it still runs great. get something from one of the big names and normally parts are easy to come buy and relatively inexpensive to rebuild a whole compressor head if you ever need to.

I needed a bigger compressor recently, since my Speedaire is 3 phase and in storage, so I picked up a Gardner Denver 40 gallon from the late 20s on CL for $90. rewired it, cleaned out and refilled the crank box and it runs great. With filters and everything I'm in about $150 for a 2 stage compressor that'll do most anything I need of it in my small shop.

-Michael

EDIT- Also, if you want quieter and more efficient, make sure you get a 1720 RPM motor rather than a 3450 RPM motor both of my bigger compressors run on a slower speed motor and make a nice soft thup thup thup instead of the jackhammer of my little oilless portable. 3450 oil lubed is quieter than an oilless, slower speed motor is even quieter.

Ben Abate
11-01-2015, 4:43 PM
Michael,
At first i might have not considered an older compressor but after a few threads from all of you i'm looking that way. As you were stating about the 1720 vs.3450 I'm finding that out. What I am starting to find are the compressors in the $1000.00 range to $1500.00 range still have the 3450 rpm. Then you'll see one under $1000.00 and it runs at !720 rpm. Like the one Bel Air it runs at a low rpm but I'm inclined to stay away after reading some reviews. I believe this will be a longer search than I was anticipating but that's ok. I have a small 2 gallon to use for small things right now. It just won't run my vacuum bag which I do need to use. I'm thinking that was the reason for my compressor to implode. I couldn't draw a vacuum the other day for some reason, the compressor was coming up to pressure which was 140 tank and 100 on the regulator. But for some reason that I've not found yet the vac pump was not pulling down. I was getting 25 inches of vac on the gauge and on the pressure gauge side I was only getting to 80 psi if I fed it with a 1/2" hose. I sort of have two issues right now. I contacted Vacuum Pressing Systems to see if they had a solution for me. I'm afraid I might not be able to test out what the tell me for lack of a compressor that can pull a vacuum. I'll end up blowing up this little one too if I try to draw down a vac bag with it.

Tom M King
11-01-2015, 6:31 PM
Try aircompressorsdirect

Billy Webb
11-01-2015, 11:15 PM
One day I was at a friends tool and die machine shop where he does many different things. He had a good size compressor and another large bare ac tank and they were hooked together. He told me that the compress didnt run so much when he was busy, and I liked the idea.

George Morris
11-03-2015, 9:40 PM
Check out California air they have some very quiet ones!

Ron Bontz
11-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Just an FYI. I spent some time looking at 60 gal compressors last year to replace mine. Went with a 60 Gal Belair. Italian made pump. When all was said and done, about $800.00 tied up in it. No complaints. Quieter than my old one as well, but I don't know the RPMs off hand.

Bob Falk
11-04-2015, 8:06 AM
Eaton compressors advertise a db rating for all their compressors

https://www.eatoncompressor.com/

Ben Abate
11-04-2015, 7:11 PM
Bob

i quickly looked at the link for Eaton
very nice. I'm going to dig a bit deeper.
Thank you for the link. This a good lead

Bruce Page
11-04-2015, 9:26 PM
Sorry Ben, it only took a few days for one of us to catch this and move it. :o

David Kumm
11-05-2015, 12:00 AM
For 500-1000 you can find a decent shape Quincy QR325. There is no comparison between the old QR series and anything you can buy today for under 3500. You can buy a gasket kit and clean the valves with a wire wheel. Pressure lubed and more quiet than any reciprocating compressor I've heard. They were so well built they will outlast all of us. Look for one that hasn't sat outside and is running. If the cylinder walls are good, there is very little in cost or time to rehab. Remeber, it isn't just the motor rpm but the pump rpm that is significant to noise and longevity. 500-900 rpm for the pump is where you want to be. You can also use a 340 with a larger pulley to slow the rpm and use a 5 hp motor. The 325 can be slowed down to use a 3 hp motor. Dave324742324743 Quincy valves after clean up after umpteen years of use.324744 Head after clean up. Dave

Steve Milito
11-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Eaton compressors advertise a db rating for all their compressors

https://www.eatoncompressor.com/

Anyone know if they include an aftercooler or not?

Curt Harms
11-06-2015, 6:29 AM
I could be way off base here but for belt driven compressors, does motor RPM matter? Just change the pulley size. Direct drive compressors would be a different story.

Justin Ludwig
11-06-2015, 7:00 AM
I run a 5hp Quincy from the 60s that came out of a tire shop. Works like mule. Look used and save $$ for other goodies.

Steve H Graham
11-06-2015, 12:04 PM
My opinion: you really want a 7.5-HP compressor if you want to get 'er done. You will need a hefty 240 circuit. If you can afford it, this would pretty much assure that you would never need to step up again.

I have a 5-HP compressor rated at over 17 CFM. Very nice, but some tools suck more than that.

Ben Abate
11-11-2015, 6:47 PM
Fellows,
I would like to thank you all for the info you provided. So I've sort of narrowed it down to the Quincy QT 60 gallon 5hp, 2 stage vertical upright or the Eaton Polar 60 gallon 2 stage 5hp, 1ph. I have 3ph but I"d have to keep my converter on all the time then. The Eaton seems to offer a few more items compare to the Quincy for just a few dollars more. But I have size constraints of the placement of the compressor. I've decided that I want to place the compressor in the garage above my shop. For one it's easier to unload it initially instead of getting a skid loader to bring it around to the shop entrance because of it's weight and my age and all my friends ages. Two, I will not have to listen to it while working in the shop. And I know most of us wish this were possible in all of our shop spaces. My space constraints are the electrical panel is in my way if the compressor is over 29.5 inches in width it interferes with opening the door on the panel and I have no where else in the garage that it could go, no where. Height is not a problem and the depth is not because most of the 60 and 80 gallon one are 24 inches of less in depth. It's mostly the motor mount platform that is my problem. Or the platform and the pulley guard cage. I hate having to choose a compressor because of the dimensions. That's sort of crazy to have to do this. I've found that I would like to have a 5hp or more with the motor RPM of 1750 instead of 3450 RPM and I like the idea of the pump RPM of 800 instead of 1600 or more. So that is why I like the Eaton more than the Quincy. I contacted Matt Cain at Eaton and he said he can not shorten the motor platform for me. It looks like there is room to remove some of it and I hate to start cutting apart a new machine. So i'm thinking I'm going with the Quincy.

Can I ask if anyone has a Quincy that could give me a true measurement of it so I'm not surprised if I order it and it's not as they specify?

Thank you again for your time and information
Ben

Don Kondra
11-11-2015, 7:12 PM
Just curious, have you looked at the Rolair's ?

Made in USA.

100% duty cycle.

Cheers, Don

Bill Adamsen
11-11-2015, 8:53 PM
Ben:

I bought a used 2-stage Champion, 5hp single phase for $300 off CL. It was a relatively new unit (2 years old) and came from an industrial installation with all the service records. The records indicated it had been routinely maintained - but I had to take functionality on faith. Installation was challenging, but I'm not sure it would have been any easier with a new unit. I have since replaced the motor - a Baldor 1725rpm - which was another $350. Would I do it again? Probably. It works great and I'm very happy with the build quality and functionality. I have never used a tool that consumes more air than the compressor can supply. But I can see where a true 7-1/2hp motor or larger might be required. Buying used of course depends on how much you value your time.

Another concern would be the certification of the tank. Compressor tanks have a "life" and are hard to inspect visually for deterioration.

John Sincerbeaux
11-12-2015, 12:49 AM
I too have been researching 2-stage compressors for the last month.
I have a really bad habit of buying the best or least the best for my use. I have decided on a Saylor Beall vertical 5hp, 60 gallon, equipped w their "performance package" (air cooler, auto tank drain, low oil shutoff etc.). All cast iron pump, Baldor motor, and 100% made in the USA. Not cheap, but I'm sure by boys will thank me someday.