PDA

View Full Version : rotary engraver manufacturers

Howard Cline
10-31-2015, 10:30 AM
I am trying to find out who makes a good rotary engraver.
I am looking at xenetech and vision
any help would be appreciated
thanks
Howard :)

Mike Null
11-02-2015, 5:51 PM
Howard

Welcome to SMC. I have a Newing Hall and have been very pleased with it for more than 10 years.

Vision has a good reputation as does New Hermes (Gravograph) machine but their support has less than a sterling reputation.

Kev Williams
11-02-2015, 7:44 PM
A friend of mine has a small Vision that he's had for around 20 years, he brings it to me on occasion to see if I can fix it- So far it's needed an X axis stepper motor. The last time he brought it here something was jammed up, don't remember what it was but it was free to fix. Pretty good machine, all he's ever done with it is diamond etch sports plaques, LOTS of them.

And I have several New Hermes/Gravograph machines, they rarely break, although I did eat that statement about 2 weeks ago when the power supply on my IS7000 died. It's running off a borrowed IS400 power supply at the moment. But that has been the ONLY major breakdown (meaning, something I can't repair myself) of ANY of my rotary engravers. When you look at my list of machines, that I've bought as far back as 1981, that's impressive. Yes their CS leaves lots to be desired, but fortunately my local rep is the exact opposite. More fortunately, I rarely need ANY CS... :)

Tony Lenkic
11-02-2015, 8:12 PM
Here is a listing you may want to reaserch.........

http://www.e-engraving.com/machines/

Phil Vernon
11-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Hi Howard,
What are you looking at engraving? and what sort of usage/duty cycle?
There are really good Rotary engravers, some middle of the range and then the el cheapo, really depends on your application.

Chris J Anderson
11-03-2015, 5:05 AM
If you want tough, I have an IS400, and its simply awesome.
Gravo software is a bit clunky in some ways, and their CS is poor, but the actual machinery is like a swiss watch.

Now that I have my head around the software better, I like using it.

Seriously well made bit of gear :)

HOWEVER - Don't bother buying their "swarf extractor", that probably the worst made piece of equipment I've seen, I actually returned it immediately for a refund, and now use a vacuum cleaner, actually I use 2 so that I can run them 50% duty cycle for longer jobs.

Howard Cline
11-03-2015, 8:35 AM
Hi Howard,
What are you looking at engraving? and what sort of usage/duty cycle?
There are really good Rotary engravers, some middle of the range and then the el cheapo, really depends on your application.

thanks for the reply
i use romark plastic 99% of the time and engrave small tags 1x3, 2x4, 3x5, 4x6, and so on (about 100 per day)
i have had a xenetech for 20yrs and it was a good engraver but it needs new parts and electronics
i have heard some strange things about xenetech.

Scott Shepherd
11-03-2015, 9:26 AM
We have two Xenetech's, and recently sold a smaller one. In my opinion, people that make rotary machines, in general, make very good machines. I don't think you can compare the build quality of any of them and say they are lacking in build quality. They tend to just work, and I say that about most all of them. At that point, it becomes software and service. While I think highly of our Xenetech, I don't like their paid support business model.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem buying any of the machines listed and feeling good about the machine.

Keith Winter
11-03-2015, 9:36 AM
I have a couple signature rotary machines. I think the machine is relatively the same as they made them in the 90s. Have had them in conditioned and unconditioned spaces running countless hours with no issues over the past 10 years. They are probably the oldest tech out of all the aforementioned machines and I would suppose slower than most. However there is a reason they haven't changed the machines much, they just plain work and can do everything from metal to glass to heat stamping. Absolute rock solid tanks.

Robert Tepper
11-03-2015, 8:30 PM
I have a Dahlgren 500 with a 20 x 24" table that runs off of a DOS type software.
Have had the machine for over 25 years. If you can find a good used one it might be worth the investment.
Their software is limited to DOS commands, so no Corel or Illustrator.
I only use it for two particular jobs, a few things that can not be done on the laser.

Other machines such as Vision have a good reputation.

Robert

Kev Williams
11-03-2015, 9:14 PM
Thanks for that link Tony, very cool, and a bit nostalgic for me! I found pics of every machine we've ever owned! Most are newer versions of the same machines, but pretty close!

Phil Vernon
11-05-2015, 11:16 AM
If you want tough, I have an IS400, and its simply awesome.
Gravo software is a bit clunky in some ways, and their CS is poor, but the actual machinery is like a swiss watch.

Now that I have my head around the software better, I like using it.

Seriously well made bit of gear :)

HOWEVER - Don't bother buying their "swarf extractor", that probably the worst made piece of equipment I've seen, I actually returned it immediately for a refund, and now use a vacuum cleaner, actually I use 2 so that I can run them 50% duty cycle for longer jobs.

+ 1
Having worked for them I am a bit biased.
Even look for a 2nd hand IS400, but try and get one with the USB communication and not the RS232/serial. The older controllers are no longer supported so if it falls over you are normally up for a controller And hand pendant. compared to a Vision they are like a rabbit, very high acceleration between engraving.
ebaydotcom/itm/Hermes-IS400-Gravograph-/351376211273?hash=item51cfa77d49:g:1QEAAOSw1vlUsDN L
This is serial and looks like it only has Gravostyle 98. Whilst this www.ebaydotcom/itm/NEW-HERMES-GRAVOGRAPH-IS400-TROPHY-MASTER-ENGRAVING-MACHINE-/381456981349?hash=item58d09b9d65:g:tPcAAOSwHnFV5zC X"]
ebaydotcom/itm/NEW-HERMES-GRAVOGRAPH-IS400-TROPHY-MASTER-ENGRAVING-MACHINE-/381456981349?hash=item58d09b9d65:g:tPcAAOSwHnFV5zC X
has no controller and won't work at all...selling as-is...i.e. not working!

Phil.

Mike Clarke
11-05-2015, 10:58 PM
thanks for the reply
i use romark plastic 99% of the time and engrave small tags 1x3, 2x4, 3x5, 4x6, and so on (about 100 per day)
i have had a xenetech for 20yrs and it was a good engraver but it needs new parts and electronics
i have heard some strange things about xenetech.

Mr. Howard,
RE: "i have heard some strange things about xenetech."
Like what, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.