PDA

View Full Version : Moxon Build Question

David Eisenhauer
10-31-2015, 9:29 AM
Do I need to insert bushings in my drilled holes through the two jaws for the acme thread to run through? I intend to pin the handles to the rod end on the moveable jaw side of the vise so that the excess rod will run out the back of the vise during use and will fix a nut on the back side. Do I need another nut somewhere up front to support the rod? A bushing?

Jim Koepke
10-31-2015, 12:37 PM
Do I need to insert bushings in my drilled holes through the two jaws for the acme thread to run through? I intend to pin the handles to the rod end on the moveable jaw side of the vise so that the excess rod will run out the back of the vise during use and will fix a nut on the back side. Do I need another nut somewhere up front to support the rod? A bushing?

The use of a bushing is up to the builder.

Some people will include a garter to move the front jaw with the opening of the jaws. Otherwise it has to be moved out by hand after loosening the bolts. You do need there to be a surface on the handles to move the jaws in as the bolts are turned.

The answers to these questions often become clear with a little time spent at a sketch pad.

jtk

David Eisenhauer
10-31-2015, 5:15 PM
Thanks Jim. I am leaning towards bushings for the Acme to slide through rather than wood.

Jim Koepke
10-31-2015, 5:45 PM
Thanks Jim. I am leaning towards bushings for the Acme to slide through rather than wood.

Is the nut made in such a way as to be mounted in the wood of the back jaw?

My vise bolts have nuts that are shaped like a bell. One end is a flange with holes for mounting screws and the other is a cylinder that can be mounted into the wood.

jtk

David Eisenhauer
11-02-2015, 9:09 AM
Just one non-serious innerweb search resulted in Acme threaded nuts in round, square and hex shapes. I also found some flanged nuts (don't remember if they were in the 3/4" - 6 size I am leaning towards). Someone PM'ed me to say he found flanged nuts or bushings at Ace Hardware. I will re read his message and then find an Ace to see what is available. I have not ordered anything yet, but will order the Acme thread, hand wheels and, probably, some round nuts within the next day or two. I should be able to find some thicker, black iron flat washers to use on the outside of the front jaw for the backside of the wheels to ride against if I don't end up with flanged nuts. Worse comes to worst, I can have someone weld a flat washer to a nut for front or back jaw use. The main thing not located is the bronze bushings I want to run the Acme rod through, however they should be able to be had. I have not searched very hard for those yet.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-02-2015, 9:40 AM
Keep us posted as you proceed. Interested to see what hardware you use, where you get it, the final project, and roughly what the parts cost.

Robert Engel
11-02-2015, 10:02 AM
The only acme threaded flanges I could find were crazy expensive.

I used a bronze flanged bushing located about 6" in from the chop with a captured nut in the inner face of the inner chop.
When installing I threaded the rod in a ways to determine the optimal location that had the best alignment.
It spins very smoothly.

Prashun Patel
11-02-2015, 10:21 AM
I vote for the bushing if I read what you're asking correctly. I found out the hard way why the bushings are necessary. In two jaws I made (one face vise, one moxon) , I wasn't persnickety about the size of the rod holes. That little bit of play caused vertical racking. When I installed bushings, the racking was eliminated (at least, reduced :().