PDA

View Full Version : Slate etched pattern 'coming off'

Dave Hutton
10-30-2015, 7:23 PM
I have a sample coaster that has been lasered with a logo. Looked great initially, but the artwork is easily removed.

A bit of a scratch with a fingernail and the artwork comes off, like it was printed on. I took a video of this which I might be able to post here, but a bit worried.

I'm used to sandblasting which gives a deep white etch and appreciate that the laser is only going to 'mark' the surface rather than deeply etch it, but surely that's a permanent mark and not something that can be easily removed with a fingernail?

Id be concerned sending that to a customer as the slightest abrasion with a glass or coffee cup would soon render it useless.

any ideas what has gone wrong with it? I quite fancied a bit of slate work but I'll not bother if that's going to happen. I've seen everyone else's slate items and they look great, with a white image, this was a beige image to start with like a print.

its a sample supplied by a laser machine supplier, not something I've bodged up myself.

Cheers

dj

Keith Winter
10-30-2015, 10:01 PM
You need to go slow. REALLY slow. So you get deep enough. I think we run around 8% speed full power on our speedy 300, 80w engraving slate. Better hope their logo is small ;)

Dave Sheldrake
10-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Will email you tomorrow about our previous discussion Dave...don't go buying a laser just yet.....

Dave Hutton
10-31-2015, 5:42 AM
Will email you tomorrow about our previous discussion Dave...don't go buying a laser just yet.....

Thanks Dave (as ever)

dj

vic casware
11-01-2015, 4:18 PM
Hi Dave, I've don quite a bit of Welsh Slate coasters, this one here has been on my desk for
over a year, used every day and still as good as new. I use 300DPI 100 power and 50 speed
on my 50W helix324504

Dave Hutton
11-12-2015, 3:20 PM
Hi Dave, I've don quite a bit of Welsh Slate coasters, this one here has been on my desk for
over a year, used every day and still as good as new. I use 300DPI 100 power and 50 speed
on my 50W helix

thats looks good Vic thanks.

Ive had a good result with a machine demo and I used Brazilian slate as I had some handy from a patio job. The Welsh looks a lot better so need to get some of that next time I'm down that way. I'm hoping to pick some up direct from a mine which might be an economical option rather than from a 'supplier'

cheer for the answers - I'm guessing the original problem was wrong settings which is disappointing from a supplier :-(

dj

Dave Sheldrake
11-12-2015, 5:48 PM
thats looks good Vic thanks.

Ive had a good result with a machine demo and I used Brazilian slate as I had some handy from a patio job. The Welsh looks a lot better so need to get some of that next time I'm down that way. I'm hoping to pick some up direct from a mine which might be an economical option rather than from a 'supplier'

cheer for the answers - I'm guessing the original problem was wrong settings which is disappointing from a supplier :-(

dj

or my back garden Dave as it's full of the dam stuff!! ;)