PDA

View Full Version : What size is your benchtop mortiser's STAND?

Frederick Skelly
10-30-2015, 6:54 PM
Hi guys.
I continue to research the PM701 benchtop mortiser. The machine is fairly heavy (roughly 90#) and I'd rather not have to keep lifting it on and off my bench. But I don't want to leave it on the bench permanently. So I'd make a stand of some sort.

Can any of you who have benchtop mortiser give me dimensions for your stand? I'm interested in length and width of the top, plus height of the top from the floor. If you have an especially cool/functional stand, a picture would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Fred

Matt Day
10-30-2015, 7:49 PM
A flip top stand might be a good idea for you. That's where I have mine but I rarely use it.

Frederick Skelly
10-31-2015, 6:11 AM
Thanks Matt!

Wakahisa Shinta
10-31-2015, 11:14 AM
Matt, can you post picture of your flip top stand for the PM701? Judging from the pain in my muscles when I move the machine, I have doubt about a flip top stand supporting it solidly. :) I am in similar shoes to Frederick. My PM701 sits on my workbench and takes up way too much space on the bench.

Matt Day
10-31-2015, 1:18 PM
Sorry for not being clear. I have the delta bench top mortiser. (77 pounds)

The key to the flip top stand is to have a machine on the other side that's about the same weight.

I'll try to get a picture of it soon, but it's made of 3/4 ply doubled up. When I built it it was for different tools than what's on it now (was lunchbox planet and disc/belt sander, now is mortiser and will have my Ridgid sander).

Shawn Pixley
10-31-2015, 10:33 PM
I have my PM mortiser sharing a stand with my planer. The stand is actually a cart that is 18" deep 3' wide and about 32" tall.