PDA

View Full Version : Arrived in today's mail box

steven c newman
10-30-2015, 3:34 PM
A LONG package! Over 22" long! Took a long time to cut through all the packaging, but...
Stanley No.7c, look like a Type 10. I'll need to repair the replacement handle on the rear deck. The lateral lever is missing the round disc.....have a spare I can "press" onto it. Not a crack to be seen anywhere...
Yep, it is a "c" model ( LOTS of rust...) Front knob seems to just need a little clean up..
About...$22.50...shipped. Stay tuned, I might have a few "After" photos tomorrow??? BTW, I also have a brass nut for the rear handle, will be here a few days from now.

Iron has the STANLEY PAT APL 19 92 stamp...

Andrew Pitonyak
10-30-2015, 4:54 PM
Very nice... and now the fun begins!

steven c newman
10-30-2015, 4:59 PM
Too many Doctor's visits this week, more meds to take....spent over 3 hours last night trying to get a cat scan done. Haven't started on this new plane...yet. Lots of rustiness..I like that. Lateral does have a patent date, maybe two, along with STANLEY stamped into it. Going up from the pivot point you can read from left to right.

Maybe an inch between the large hole on the iron, and the beveled edge. Can see any camber, either. Frog has the SMALL brass wheel...lefthand thread. Threads need a clean up. There is a No. 7 cast into the rear deck. More info as I find it.

Stew Denton
10-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Hi Steven,

It looks like you got a lot of plane for the money, and it looks like it has a lot of potential.

I am looking forward to seeing the "after" on the plane.

Stew

Jim Koepke
10-31-2015, 12:57 AM
About...$22.50...shipped.

Dang, it cost me darn near that much to ship one via USPS a few years ago.

jtk

steven c newman
10-31-2015, 10:45 AM
Ok, spent a little more time last night, cleaning up this old plane...
Sole cleaned up
Sides are all clean and spiffied up. How does it cut? Well, after a bit of work on the iron, and the chipbreaker..
vs White Oak. Cuts like a jointer should. Had to re-arrange the plane till a bit....
The plane beside it is a Stanley No.6c, type 10......The 7 seems to be just a hair bigger...
Just a tad....

steven c newman
10-31-2015, 1:42 PM
Hmmm, according to Hyperkitten, this seems to be a bit earlier than a Type 10......maybe a T-9?

Two pat dates behind frog
One pat. date of lateral
No frog adjust bolt
Has a Stanley Pat. Apl 19 92 stamped on iron
Hole in the iron's slot is now down by the beveled edge,
Low knob hasn't a bead around the base, nor sits in a ring.
A No.7 is cast on the back porch, behind the tote.

Seems to be a tad older than I thought.....

Jim Koepke
10-31-2015, 4:17 PM
Hmmm, according to Hyperkitten, this seems to be a bit earlier than a Type 10......maybe a T-9?

Two pat dates behind frog
One pat. date of lateral
No frog adjust bolt
Has a Stanley Pat. Apl 19 92 stamped on iron
Hole in the iron's slot is now down by the beveled edge,
Low knob hasn't a bead around the base, nor sits in a ring.
A No.7 is cast on the back porch, behind the tote.

Seems to be a tad older than I thought.....

The type 10 had the frog adjustment and two patent dates.
The one patent date on the lateral lever is a remnant from type 8.
I do not know enough about the #7 typing to know if the casting changed during type 9's duration. Other sizes have distinct casting differences.
The detail isn't clear enough, but it does look like the earlier type 9 casting. If you have a plane of the same blade size from a later type, compare the frogs where it straddles the rib in the base casting (next to the mouth).

Here is a post of mine on some of the type 9 variations:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131234-Type-9-variations

Looks like a great plane.

jtk

steven c newman
11-01-2015, 12:03 PM
The No.6c I posted alongside this Battlewagon of a plane is a Type 10. Seems that the $12.54 No.7c is a "tweener" as in between the late type8s, and the new type 9s. The brass nuts for the handles do not have a waist to them. There is no "arch" to the rib for the frog
There is a BAILEY in front of the low knob. The two patent dates are behind the frog. There is a single patent date on the lateral lever....which will need a new disc pressed in place.
Sitting back there on the "stern"/ "fantail"?

So, seems I have most of the larger Stanleys in the till, from a No.7 , a No.6, a No. 5-1/2, and a No.5. There is also a Stanley made for Wards no.3, a Stanley No. 4 T- 12 and a T-20 British. Not wanting to be exclusive.....there is a Millers Falls group as well. A No. 14, No.11, No.9, and a No.8. same goes with the block planes. Makes for a crowded till
Ya think???

Jim Koepke
11-01-2015, 1:15 PM
Makes for a crowded till

At one time I started to make a till for my planes. Kept having to revise it as another straggler would wander into the shop. Sort of put it aside for a while. Now that the great plane migration seems to have settled maybe it should be restarted.

jtk

lowell holmes
11-01-2015, 1:33 PM
I have a #6 Bailey, WWII model. It has a rubber adjustment knob. It is a good plane, but I never use it. I tend to go with a 604 Bedrock or my 607 Bedrock.

I have a #5 1/2 Bailey that sees some use. I have a #3 Bailey that is probably my most used bench plane.

It's interesting what planes you guys use.

steven c newman
11-02-2015, 12:28 AM
What this big old plane needs right now? A disc for the lateral lever. It also will need a better looking rear handle. Patterns I have, wood for the handle I don't. Thinking about buying a junker #5 just to get the rear handle. I have a disc, but it is on a spare Millers Falls lever. Nor does that disc spin. Thinking a correctly sized drill bit to pop the disc free, and still be tight enough to press onto the Stanley lateral lever.

Trying to keep the costs down on this plane.....plane itself=12.54, shipping=$9, a new brass nut for the handles=$3.50. Have seen "sets" of parts on that auction site.....over $20? Almost as much as I have in the plane at the moment....

Might scrounge through that batch of Curly Maple scraps I still have on hand, and add a new horn to the tote? All else about this plane is fine.

Barry Dima
11-03-2015, 8:40 AM
Watching you have fun with these rehabs is fun—especially when the fun costs you less than a meal for two.

Pat Barry
11-03-2015, 8:57 AM
....plane itself=12.54, shipping=$9, a new brass nut for the handles=$3.50. Have seen "sets" of parts on that auction site.....over $20?
Satisfaction of restoring an antique - priceless !

steven c newman
11-03-2015, 11:28 PM
This huge, old "antique" seems to do just fine, nowadays...
Even if it is just a couple pine boards needing jointed..