PDA

View Full Version : Hidden fastener ideas?

Joe O'Connor
10-30-2015, 2:19 PM
I just got a job installing some modern paneling on a wall in a real estate office. The wall is about 8 feet long and 7 feet tall, the paneling will be 3/4 white oak random width boards installed horizontally. My suggestion was to use stainless screws with a washer head, there will be othere metal accents so I thought this might add to the look. They don't want to see the fasteners. I could nail and fill with colored wax but I'm thinking a more elegant approach is in order. Any ideas? Thanks Joe.

Dave Richards
10-30-2015, 2:34 PM
With the boards be installed flush on the wall? Will there be gaps between or tight seams?

If tight seams and flush to the wall, how about making it like tongue and groove flooring and nailing in the grooves?

Garth Almgren
10-30-2015, 2:57 PM
Maybe slightly recessed Z clips top and bottom?

George Bokros
10-30-2015, 3:00 PM
Horizontally will be easier because you will not have to put up furring strips but IMHO vertically would look much better. Vertically will give the room a look of more height and you say it is only a 7" ceiling, horizontally will give the illusion of a lower ceiling.

As far as how to nail I vote for Dave's thought.

Randy Rose
10-30-2015, 3:13 PM
Construction adhesive ?

Joe O'Connor
10-30-2015, 3:22 PM
Yes, flush to wall no gaps. I was also thinking t&g but was hoping to avoid the extra work involved. I'm a bit lazy sometimes:)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2015, 3:32 PM
Make a panel with the random width boards and hang with a metal French cleat?

Rick Potter
10-30-2015, 3:35 PM
Splines? A bit easier than T&G.

Yonak Hawkins
10-30-2015, 4:52 PM
As opposed to attaching the boards to each other, attaching each board to the studs, as Dave suggests, would mitigate problems from wood movement.

Ethan Melad
10-30-2015, 5:51 PM
A lap joint might be easier than t&g both to make and to install. Just mill a good size lap and screw each board to studs.

Lee Schierer
10-30-2015, 5:59 PM
Use ship lap boards and you can hide all the nails except for the starter strip and finish piece.

Dave Richards
10-30-2015, 6:42 PM
Lap joints would be quicker but if the lap on top isn't nailed or screwed, there's nothing to prevent it from warping away from the wall. Might good for a rustic look, though.