PDA

View Full Version : Monogram fonts

Alina Roata
08-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Hi everyone!

I need a monogram font and I spent half of the day on the Internet, trying to find one.
What I am looking for is a fancy font, not a "block letters" kind. Of course, if possible, with 3 letters and as "curly" as possible...
From what I found on other engraving sites, it seems like those monogram fonts are (were?!?) made for classic engravers (using a diamond?!?), not lasers.
One of them appears under the name "Interlocked Monogram", but there is no download available (or I couldn't find any).

Does anyone have any idea about this kind of fonts?
Is there a rule to obey when creating a monogram?

Any help would be greatelly appreciated...

Alina

George M. Perzel
08-30-2005, 4:58 AM
Hi Alina;
I had a similar requirement- decided to make my own in Corel. Pretty easy-pick a font you like and individual initials plus an outline form and fool around with htem until you get something you like. See below for samples. Good Luck
george

Bruce Volden
08-30-2005, 7:18 AM
Alina,

If you use Corel, get some from their clipart CD. Drag letters in individually, ungroup them and play with the nodes etc. til you have something you like (as stated above) Bruce

Alina Roata
08-30-2005, 9:40 AM
Thank you both.

The attached monograms look great, George!

I'll try to do the same thing. I thought there is a rule I must follow, but I guess the only one is to make it look good ...:)
Alina

Lee DeRaud
08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
I thought there is a rule I must follow, but I guess the only one is to make it look good ...:) We're pretty loose about stuff like that down here, but the Royal Canadian Monogram Police may take a less tolerant view of the whole thing.:D :cool:

Roy Brewer
08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
I thought there is a rule I must follow,...Alina

Alina,

I suspect the "rule" of which you were thinking is to put the lastname as the largest and in the center for "classical" monogramming.

We're often asked for a program that will generate "engraving" type monograms, but I'm not aware of anything other than (of all things) and engraving program. Attached created with windows based engraving software but pretty "pricy" if that's all for which you need it.
(If attachment not here, please point me to instructs on how to attach???)

Bill Stein
08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
The other industry that does a lot of monograming is the embrodery industry. I think that some members of that industry visit this forum so maybe one of them can suggest a program or give some other help.

Bill

George M. Perzel
08-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Hi Alina;
here's a Monogram font program-not quite sure where I got it from but know it was a free download. Hope it helps.
george

Chris Cordina
08-31-2005, 11:31 AM
The place to get it is at www.haroldsfonts.com (http://www.haroldsfonts.com) . I downloaded it went to install it but windows does not find that file. Don't know what Im doing wrong.

Alina Roata
09-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Thank you all for the help.

My Internet was down lately and I couldn't respond, so don't be mad at me, please...:)

I found too Harold's fonts, but they are not what I needed (thank you, George). I downloaded the fonts available there and the oval monogram font doesn't work on my computer (probably I'm doing something wrong).

I will stick to the firs ideas suggested, I will pick a nice font and work around it.
I guess the fonts I asked about (exactly what Roy posted) are made by Hermes' producers, so they probably come only with those machines.

Bill's idea is a path to follow, but I have to check and see if those fonts work like regular ttfs or if they are more like Hermes's.

Alina