PDA

View Full Version : Dust mask question?

John Jussel
10-29-2015, 11:49 PM
Just curious if anyone has tried out the Elipse P100 dust mask. If so, do you like it and does it really prevent your glasses from fogging up? John

Yonak Hawkins
10-30-2015, 12:48 AM
I have begun using that mask in place of the 3M. There's really nothing wrong with the 3M but the Miller respirator is more lightweight and smaller. It fits a little differently in that the bottom part rests on the chin instead of under the chin. It gives a good seal. It's important to note that I don't have facial hair (I don't have scalp hair either, but that's another matter :)). One of it's touted benefits is that it will fit under a welder's face shield if that's an issue for you.

I have had no problem with it fogging my glasses. One downside is that the bottom strap is one piece so you have to put that over your head before you put the mask on. That seemed clumsy to me so I replaced the bottom strap with a strap with a clasp. The top strap is a single strap and I kind of liked the double top strap of the 3M so I'm thinking of also replacing the top strap with one from an old 3M. Fortunately, I have several 3Ms lying around so I can swap parts.

After, at first, feeling a little bit uncomfortable with the fit of the Miller, I believe the fit is more air tight.

Jamie Buxton
10-30-2015, 1:29 AM
If a dust mask is fogging your glasses, what that means is the seal over the bridge of your nose and at the top of your cheeks is bad. Your humid exhaust air is going out those bad seals rather than through the intended exhaust valve. Unfortunately, this also means that when you inhale, air comes in through those cracks. That's the dust-laden air you're trying to keep out of your lungs. So fogging is more than a nuisance. It is a strong indication that your dust mask is not protecting you.

People have different shapes of face. The bridge of your nose might be prominent, and the next person's might be flat. So me telling you that a given mask doesn't fog my glasses doesn't tell you much about whether the same mask would protect you. The best you can do is to try out a mask, and see if it fits you. If it doesn't, try another.

Both the Elipse mask and the 3M half-face respirators come in several sizes. That is, the manufacturers are trying to help you find a good fit. So maybe "trying another" means just trying another size of the same brand.

Allan Speers
10-30-2015, 3:21 AM
If a dust mask is fogging your glasses, what that means is the seal over the bridge of your nose and at the top of your cheeks is bad. Your humid exhaust air is going out those bad seals rather than through the intended exhaust valve. Unfortunately, this also means that when you inhale, air comes in through those cracks. That's the dust-laden air you're trying to keep out of your lungs. So fogging is more than a nuisance. It is a strong indication that your dust mask is not protecting you. .

It's good to be careful, but I don't think this is correct, Jamie:

When you inhale, the mask material is pulled tightly to your skin. When you exhale, if the exhaust port isn't large enough, then of course the seal against your skin can blow open a little.

Justin Ludwig
10-30-2015, 6:58 AM

The skin-to-mask seal should remain intact when inhaling and exhaling. Causes of a bad seal: facial hair, improperly sized mask, bad valve, cracked seal, oddly shaped face (it can happen), mask not tight enough.

I had to get certified in the Navy when painting planes with polyurethane paints. That was 15 years ago, but I doubt the regs have become less stringent.

glenn bradley
10-30-2015, 8:51 AM
I've been using it for awhile now and have no problem with my prescription safety glasses fogging. I have yet to find a mask that does not push my glasses higher on my nose than normal but, this one is the best so far.

Jamie Buxton
10-30-2015, 12:01 PM

When you inhale, the mask material is pulled tightly to your skin. When you exhale, if the exhaust port isn't large enough, then of course the seal against your skin can blow open a little.

While you're inhaling, the mask would get pushed tightly to your skin only if there's a big pressure difference between the inside of the mask and outside. But that's not how it works. The mask has a big filter on it, so air easily flows through it, and the pressure differential between inside and outside is nearly zero. The mask seals don't move, and any cracks remain.

Ellen Benkin
10-31-2015, 1:00 AM
I have one and love it. I find it very comfortable with glasses. The small size works perfectly for me.