PDA

View Full Version : How to fix this? (straightening lag screw in framing)

Victor Robinson
10-29-2015, 8:18 PM
I'm installing handrail brackets on a small stairway. The brackets thread onto a hanger bolt that goes into the framing. Having a total brain freeze, I apparently drilled my 1/4" pilot for the lag screw at a slight angle, which really throws off the bracket. Unfortunately the bracket has to go right at that spot...can't move the bracket laterally or up/down for a new hole.

Is it possible to inject the hole with something (epoxy?) that is drillable and drivable and will still be secure?

mreza Salav
10-29-2015, 8:21 PM
Drill a 1/2" hole and then glue a dowel into it. After it's dry cut and and drill your hole again.

Peter Quinn
10-29-2015, 8:39 PM
Drill a 1/2" hole and then glue a dowel into it. After it's dry cut and and drill your hole again.

This exactly. a 3/8" hole might work, just plug with glue, let it set briefly, redrill. It will really hold that lag too!

Lee Schierer
10-29-2015, 8:57 PM
Insert a 1/4" dowel with glue to fill the hole, no need to drill a larger hole since you will be drilling on a new angle, let the glue set up and drill your new pilot hole a the proper angle. I would suggest using a longer screw and a Timberloc screw instead of a lag screw.324324 They are at least 3-4 times stronger than regular lag screws.

Victor Robinson
10-30-2015, 1:58 AM
Thanks guys! I'm embarrassed that didn't even come to mind given how often I do the same thing with woodworking projects, lol.

Ole Anderson
10-30-2015, 8:10 AM
Yea, Timberlocks or Spax screws are much better than lags, they are self tapping (no pilot hole required) and because they are a higher quality steel, you can go one size smaller on most projects. Way too easy to twist off those soft 1/4" lags. Just got done using a bunch on a deck project.