PDA

View Full Version : New LN Low Angle Jack - Whats the best angle for the bevel?

Joe Beaulieu
10-29-2015, 5:48 PM
Hey Everyone,

I just got a LN 62 - the low angle Jack. It comes with a blade honed at 25 degrees I believe - I didn't measure, just looked last night. I can't get to it until this weekend. Considering I am setting this plane up for first use, and have to work the blade back and bevel anyway, should I change he factory bevel? I plan on buying a couple more blades and keeping them for a variety of work with the plane, but for the "general use" blade, what do you suggest? I'd like to use it principally as a low angle smoother, but will use it with a shooting board as well.

Also - I see the thread about blade camber. I have a LN 41/2 smoother that I would like to put some very minor degree of camber into the blade. I have only sharpened it straight up to this point, and it does leave some edges. What is the best method for putting that slight arc on the blade? I have seen the Charlesworth sharpening video where he does the progressive number of strokes on his finishing stone on each side of the blade. I use an 8000 Shapton to finish. Is a few strokes (he suggests 4 or 5 I believe) on the edges enough to put the camber into the blade? I am a little skeptical. But only a little.

Last question - and all your help and attention is very much appreciated. I own a "Lapsharp" sharpening machine. Does anyone on this board use one, and if so, what are your feelings about the machine? I have the new abrasives they are offering, and their new honing guide. I am not convinced it is the "abandon everything else" answer they want you to think it is. I have no complaints with the company, they have been very good to me, but I am just wondering how widely used it is, and if you like the machine. It alleviates hand soreness from sharpening on stones. I have arthritis in both hands pretty good and I am trying to minimize repetitive hand work. I am wondering if folks use it up to a degree and then turn to stones, or if the Lapsharp is the entire answer. I have all their grits, including the polishing group.

Let me know folks. I really enjoy this board.

Joe

John Kananis
10-29-2015, 6:04 PM
YMMV and you'll find many opinions on this here (I think). I use two blades for my 62, a 25 degree for shooting and a 38 degree for smoothing the tricky stuff.

Question two depends on the sharpening method, I camber with hand sharpening (no camber on my 62 but slight on all my other smoothers and more on my jack - tons on my scrub).

Question three, I have no input - I don't own that machine.

Prashun Patel
10-29-2015, 7:10 PM
I went back to 25 after trying a lot. For general purpose I find it easier to push than higher angles. I suggest you try this one as shipped for a good long while before messing with the bevel angle.

And in my book, well sharpened trumps specialized angle by a lot.

lowell holmes
10-29-2015, 7:13 PM
I have the Lee Valley bevel up Jack.
I have the 25, 38, and 50 degree blades. I also have the 50 degree toothed blade.
I use them all from time to time.
I also use the blades on my LV bevel up smoother.

The 38 and 50 degree blades are for figured wood that tends to tear out.

Aaron Conway
10-29-2015, 9:13 PM
Considering I am setting this plane up for first use, and have to work the blade back and bevel anyway,

I can't say first hand but I've heard all you have to do to the back is polish it as LN takes great efforts to ship the backs flat.

I ordered a 60 1/2 a couple days ago but they're on backorder.

Cheers,

Aaron

John Kananis
10-29-2015, 9:23 PM
I can't say first hand but I've heard all you have to do to the back is polish it as LN takes great efforts to ship the backs flat.

Cheers,

Aaron

Really? I'm surprised as every LN event I've gone to (open house included) the 62 is the one that there is plenty of inventory (especially the blades).

Jim Koepke
10-29-2015, 9:26 PM
+1 on what Prashun said. Try it as it came. That is what works best for me when shooting end grain. It also works for me when smoothing panels.

There is no reason to change it without giving it a chance as is.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
10-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Derek Cohen has a great Blog site "In The Woodshop" He has lots of articles of interest relating to sharpening. He has one "The Secret to Cambering Bevel Up Plane Blades" in which he discusses the specific issues in cambering BU plane blades and how to simplify those issues using a secondary bevel.

Joe Beaulieu
10-30-2015, 12:11 AM

Cheers,

Aaron

Aaron,

I encountered the same thing with LN, so I cancelled my order and got it from one of their dealers, CraftsmanStudio.com. They sell the entire line, are an authorized dealer, and they ship for free on higher $ orders. I don't feel like I am taking business away from LN - they were fine with what I did, understood and agreed it was a good way to go. Iirc Craftsman had 3 in stock. Might be worth your consideration if you have a need for immediate plane gratification like I do. I was impressed w CS.com, they were great and have a fantastic selection of stuff. I am not at all affiliated, just thought it was a good alternative, especially living on the west coast. They are in Oregon iirc. I got the order in a day.

just thought I would tell you.

Also Aaron, it sounds like this is your first LN plane. Wait till you get it. Oh my, it's Christmas when you get that big toy you really wanted! The LN tools are simply stunning, you will love your 62. I would also suggest a LN block like a 60 and a half - they are incredible.

I have a few LN planes, I agree the back is usually very flat. But I do like that mirror polish on my blades, so I have a couple of hours planned in the shop on Saturday.

Prasun, sounds like very sage advice. I will simply keep the 25 and sharpen the bejeezus out of it. Thanks

Mike - I will give it a read - very much appreciated!

Joe

Aaron Conway
10-30-2015, 8:27 AM
John, I ordered the 60 1/2 (not 62). I'm guessing one of their most popular planes. They said it should be available in a week.

Joe, Thanks for the info on cs.com. I thought about cancelling and ordering from somebody else but I'm only a days shipping from LN so figured if I ordered from anybody else I'd still have a week to wait for delivery. Yes, my first plane and can't wait. I just got part of my annual bonus and I'm more excited about this plane than the bonus. :)

Cheers,

Aaron

Matthew Hills
10-30-2015, 9:04 AM
I'd get it hones at its current angle and go from there.

Also, I'd recommend a toothed blade. This was super useful for helping to flatten my bench around some knots and reversing grain, and is one of the high-utility options for the low-angle jacks.

Matt

Mike Brady
10-30-2015, 10:09 AM
+1 on the toothed blade in the 62. I leave that blade in the tool, in fact.

lowell holmes
10-30-2015, 10:51 AM
The high angle toothed blade was necessary for me when planing some very highly figured maple. There was objectionable tear out with the other irons.

It is harder to push, but effective.

Prashun Patel
10-30-2015, 11:00 AM
I have a toothed blade, but I also use my LA Jack for shooting. I found a high angle for shooting to be almost painfully jarring to use.

Jim Koepke
10-30-2015, 12:57 PM
I have a toothed blade, but I also use my LA Jack for shooting. I found a high angle for shooting to be almost painfully jarring to use.

My main reason for going to an LA Jack for shooting is an old shoulder injury. After shooting a few pieces with a bevel down plane it might be necessary to take a day or two of rest before getting back to work.

One of the things we must consider in this hobby is not only the dangers of accidents, but the danger some repetitive actions may threaten.

jtk

lowell holmes
10-30-2015, 2:43 PM
IMO, the high angle irons would never be used for shooting. That is left to the 25 degree irons.

The high angles are best left to smoothing operations where there is significant tear out.

Joe Beaulieu
10-30-2015, 5:27 PM
Jim,

A very important point - thank you. I have problems with arthritis and neuropathy in my hands, and I made the mistake of too long a sharpening session a couple of weeks ago on a new plane blade and I paid the price that night and for the next few days. My hands were swollen and ached like hell. This getting old stuff is for the birds. Thanks Jim et al for the responses. Much appreciated.

Joe

Garth Almgren
10-30-2015, 7:06 PM
Sweet, their retail store is about 23 miles from me. :D