PDA

View Full Version : Hickory for coasters - dry time and keeping bark on

Cathryn Callaway
10-29-2015, 3:07 PM
I have someone that is able to cut me a bunch of wood slice discs for coasters. I laser engrave them for weddings and personalized gifts. I usually use kiln dried basswood but I'm having trouble finding a supplier for that so I've been looking for an alternative. I got a few dozen hickory slices that are about 4" wide and 1/2" thick that are absolutely gorgeous but they are fresh and maybe 1-2 weeks old. I'm wondering how long I should let them dry and how? I don't have a kiln or anything special set up here so I'm limited. Also wondering if there is a way to prevent the bark from falling off? It's so pretty right now but I've read that Hickory bark is known for falling off. Recommendations for sealing the coasters once I've engraved them would also be much appreciated. I'm clearly pretty new to all of this. Thank you in advance for the help.

Prashun Patel
10-29-2015, 3:26 PM
end grain coasters will dry fast and can cause pith cracking. To stymie that, you can try paper bagging them or waxing them.

Some people use CA glue to keep the bark in tact. It's been my experience that it remains brittle.