PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 upgrade (nothing to do with engraving)

Ron Gosnell
10-29-2015, 2:28 PM
To my friends at SMC

If you plan on upgrading to windows 10 be prepared for a headache or 2. Fortunately I engrave for fun and don't rely on my computer for business.
The upgrade is not friendly and caused me several days of grief. You may not have any problems like I did but be ready for them.

1. Backup everything you can think of that you want to keep !!!!! Preferably on a separate external hard drive. Here's why.
I have a 2nd internal hard drive installed. It is 3 Terabytes partitioned into two 1.5 terabyte drives. I backed up everything to it. After the upgrade, The 2nd drive was not recognized by windows
because it was over 2 terabytes. It showed up as half of my drive. My back ups were missing. I did get them back but it was a very scary feeling.
If you have a large drive make sure you get the drivers so windows can recognize it. I was able to download Acronis virtual disk driver and that saved me. My files were back.

2. None of my programs were working correctly. The menu bar in Corel was blank. You could mouse over it and see the menus but otherwise it was just blank.
Everything else in Corel appeared to work. I wound up reinstalling it. The same kind of quirks were happening with my other favorite programs and some just would not work.
After reinstalling them every one of them did work properly. I decided that I was going to just do a fresh install of windows 10 at this point. There was so much garbage on
the disk now with all the upgrade and uninstalls and reinstalls I thought it be best to start fresh.

I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the media creation tool. It puts windows 10 on either a flash drive or dvd of your choice. You do not need any install keys for windows 10
if your previous version of windows is currently activated. Just skip the enter keys portion of the install and it will activate automatically. Microsoft will explain it better on the media creation tool website.

My computer is now up and running and all my programs are working. My backups are safe and I feel normal again but what an ordeal that turned out to be.

Windows 10 is layed out a lot differently than windows 7 and there is a lot of learning just to get it back to looking and working the way I'm used to.
I never had windows 8 so I cant compare with that.

I did learn a very valuable trick. It works for windows 7 users too. You can make a folder called godmode and it has roughly over 175 shortcuts to the most popular settings of the operating system
putting them all in one place. It is a real timesaver. I wished I knew of it sooner. Just do a search on godmode windows 10. It's a built in easter egg from Microsoft on everyones computer starting
with windows 7. To create godmode just right click on your desktop and create a new folder.

Copy this exactly GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} and paste that as your folders name. That's it.

Gozzie

David Somers
10-29-2015, 2:47 PM
Hey Gozzie!

Glad you got through that OK. And using something like Acronis, an imaging package, before you ran the upgrade was good thinking. I will be back home later this evening and on Thursday will start the upgrade from Win 8.1. I desperately hate 8.1. What an instable hunk that is. Hopefully 10 is less flaky. I had to hold off on the upgrade since the folks who make several of my software packages wouldnt say their stuff would run on 10. So I waited. And growled at MS. The last one finally said it was OK to run on 10 so I will do it ASAP. After making a full disk image of course so I have a fast recovery if it blows up. And if it does blow up I will backtrack all the way to 7 and be done with it. 8 has been misery.

Congrats again!!

Dave

Michael Hunter
10-29-2015, 3:48 PM
Ron - Thanks for the GodMode tip : very useful!

My own upgrade experience has been fairly good :
From 8 to 8.1 and now 10, my office/design computer has kept working fine (including all the programs - no problems with Corel).
From 7 to 10 on my workshop computer - big problems with networking, but programs OK.

My workshop computer is back to W7 for the moment (the step back was completely painless), but I think that I understand the networking glitch now, so will try 10 again soon.

Chuck Phillips
10-29-2015, 3:57 PM
I've done 4 upgrades to Windows 10. Two laptops and two desktops using a mix of Win 7 and 8. All have Coreldraw X6 and Epilog Mini printer drivers. Everything went very smooth, no issues. Having used Windows since version 3.0, I'm beyond amazed!

YMMV.

Kev Williams
10-29-2015, 4:29 PM
I keep downgrading to XP. And 98se. They're the only Windows that will work with everything I own...

My win8 is good for internet surfing. That's it. I have one win7 64bit Enterprise computer that I actually like, but because it's 64 bit, it won't run my new-to-me Explorer laser, so since I need a different computer, it's useless to me.

Any of my several XP's will run circles around my 4-core 8-gig ram win8. Only thing faster is the win7, but it's a catch-22...

I want absolutely zero to do with any further Windows 'upgrades'. To me they're anything but...

Ron Gosnell
10-29-2015, 4:42 PM
My computer is a 64bit and maybe that's where my issues arrived from.
I hope nobody else has any troubles but I thought I should throw the cautions out there to you.
From extensive research on fixing my issues I did learn that I am not alone in my frustrations.
Now that I am up and running, I haven't experienced any ill effects yet. Everything is working as it should.
Just take the proper precautions before you start. Especially you business owners.

Gozzie

Mark Taylor2
10-29-2015, 5:07 PM
You are far from alone in this misery. I'm retired IT and have had numerous friends wanting me to fix their "upgrade"... everything from lost data, missing printer drivers (not yet available for Win10) and even WiFi drivers not working or available.

After their last little screw-up with trying force Win10 on every Win7 user a couple of weeks ago, I refuse to upgrade or support it. I hope I can post this but if you want to block Win10 until you are really ready for it, here's a handy helper: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html If the link gets removed, then just Google "Ultimate Outsider" and look for the post on Aug 10, 2015. He's keeping this updated as MS changes tactics.

Jack Clague
10-29-2015, 5:48 PM
Every upgrade has its headaches, the only computer in my house on W10 is my gaming rig and after some tweaking "touch wood" it is running smoothly, but that machine is a beast, 24gb RAM, i7, High end GPU's in SLI. But none of my work computers are on W10, still on W7 pro

Kev Williams
10-29-2015, 6:01 PM
After their last little screw-up with trying force Win10 on every Win7 user a couple of weeks ago, I refuse to upgrade or support it.

Guess I'll just keep my 'automatic updates' off, as usual... :)

Chris Parks
10-29-2015, 7:37 PM
Zero problems on multiple computers here except one laptop due to Dell refusing to supply drivers which is not MS's fault. I just rewound it back to 7 and all is well.

Paul hardy
10-30-2015, 3:52 PM
For those that have upgraded to Win 10, or those thinking about it, search online for Windows 10 privacy settings and for changing the way windows does updates. By default, it is collecting a lot of info about what you do and where you go on the internet. It also uses your internet connection to help pass updates to other computers on the internet by default. It doesn't seem to handle bandwidth very well, so I've had a couple of systems hogging all of the available internet bandwidth while trying to do updates.

Kev Williams
10-30-2015, 5:14 PM
"...[Windows 10] is collecting a lot of info about what you do and where you go on the internet."

--I remember when I used to cherish my unlisted/unpublished phone number, back when I had a little control over my private life...

Thanks for the reminder of another reason I'll stay with XP.

David Somers
10-30-2015, 5:19 PM
Got back from the East Coast Thursday night and started the upgrade process from 8.1 to 10. It went OK though it took 9 full hours to complete with no delays. I stayed with it the whole time. 9 hours? Sheesh. This was on a system built for Windows 10 compatibility and all components covered by Window's included drivers. And the machine is a high end I7 with 16gb and a 1TB SSD on it. And pretty minimal software installed and little autostarting on the machine. This is a pretty stripped, simple system. Not exactly a slug in terms of processing power and throughput. Oh well. It went OK overall. Now to see how stably it runs compared to Win8.1 which was the bane of my laser/cnc existence. Seems OK so far.

Incidentally. RDWorks 8.00.29 runs like a champ on it so far. Quite zippy. The previous versions were not Windows 10 compatible according to Ruida.

Dave

Lee DeRaud
10-30-2015, 5:36 PM
As I reported in a prior thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?234062-Windows-10-where-s-the-beef), I had tried Win10 briefly and reverted to Win7 almost immediately.
And it almost worked.
Apparently as penance for my sins, whenever I install updates, the update screen shows "Downloading Windows 10" throughout the process. It's actually not doing that, it's really installing the requested updates, just not showing what it's actually doing. If there's a way to reinstall Windows Update without scrubbing the whole setup, I'd love to hear it.

David Somers
10-30-2015, 6:21 PM
Lee,

Since Windows 7(and Vista) the update process has involved removal of the old system and replacement by the new. No way around that.
The system actually starts off by upgrading your old system in place to be sure you have current drivers and key components. And somewhere in the process it also looks at whether your device drivers are going to have equivalents in Win10 or at least be useable as is.
It is not till that is done that you start getting the actual new system sucked down and prepped for installation.

To be honest, I would rather it scrub the old system. That has at least been a cleaner process than the old method of constantly adding onto the previous version. That led to some wild spaghetti code that was a mess to deal with in the long run.

Something I would do if you didnt the first time around is get a product like Acronis True Image and make what is called a Disk image of your system. It does not take all that long and when you are done you have a way to recover from a botched upgrade, even if it happens to be past the 30 day recovery period that Windows supports right now. It is a great safety feature. And if you do have to make use of that image recovery is fairly quick and you are back exactly where you started before you began the upgrade.

I used disk images all the time in my IT work, and although now retired from it (whooppeeeeee!) still believe in the whole heartedly.
Also....once you get Windows 10 running right consider making an image of it right then before you change anything. It gives you a point to return to quickly if things blow up later on.

Dave

John Noell
10-30-2015, 7:00 PM
If you want to a "clean" install of Win10, there are a couple of ways to do it. And the game changes late in November when MS should release a Win10 installer that directly accepts Win7 and Win8 keys. If you decide to go with Win10 and "upgrade" from 7/8 to 10 (AND you are connected to the 'net), MS will note your hardware ID (or actually just your motherboard from my experiments). Then you can wipe your drive and install Win10 (from DVD or flashdrive), skip anyplace it asks for a code, and it will automatically be activated. If you are using the DVD or flashdrive, you can install from within 7 or 8 (i.e., boot normally and then run the Win10 installer) and choose what to keep. At the choice screen (in small letters) is "more options." Choose that and there is an option to "keep nothing."

As far as I can see, you will not get anything prior to Corel X6 to install properly, and so far, I cannot get the menus to show up properly in X6. As noted above, they are sort of there but not visible until you out your cursor on them. Win7 works very nicely on my laser computer. "If it ain't broke..."

Lee DeRaud
10-30-2015, 7:32 PM
Something I would do if you didnt the first time around is get a product like Acronis True Image and make what is called a Disk image of your system. It does not take all that long and when you are done you have a way to recover from a botched upgrade, even if it happens to be past the 30 day recovery period that Windows supports right now. It is a great safety feature. And if you do have to make use of that image recovery is fairly quick and you are back exactly where you started before you began the upgrade.

I used disk images all the time in my IT work, and although now retired from it (whooppeeeeee!) still believe in the whole heartedly.
Also....once you get Windows 10 running right consider making an image of it right then before you change anything. It gives you a point to return to quickly if things blow up later on.

DaveActually, that's exactly what I did. Unfortunately, the sequence was:
1. Attempt to download Win10 via Update...never got to the 'Download complete' step. After almost a week of it stuck at 40% I gave up and just downloaded the Win10 ISO disc image from the MS site.
2. Used True Image to make a backup of the then-current Win7 setup, which was apparently still trying to download Win10.
3. Installed Win10, configured it, made a backup with True Image.
4. After a day or so, I got so disgusted with 10 that I restored the machine with the backup from step 2.
5. As it was still trying to download Win10, I went online and found the kabuki dance required to kill GWX once and for all. That worked, except for the (completely cosmetic) kruft left over in Windows Update.
It's almost certainly an obscure config file or registry setting, but none of the normal "fix your problems with Update" solutions touch it, probably because Update is actually working properly except for the header on the install progress screen. I can live with it.

Bob A Miller
10-30-2015, 9:17 PM
Well just to add to the confusion... We upgraded several differnt PC's (win 7 & 8) with the win 10 upgrade. There are several places that hung up. With reluctance I did a reboot on hang up (after several hrs of no movement) & restarted. Windows picked up from where the hang up was & immediately ran successfully. We are running Corel X-4 & things seem to be running fine.

The he only thing differnt I did was to make sure the hardware upgrades were all up to date... So I can' today things are perfect on the install, as it is Microsoft after all. However in our case it actually did work.

Bill George
10-31-2015, 5:33 PM
5. As it was still trying to download Win10, I went online and found the kabuki dance required to kill GWX once and for all. That worked, except for the (completely cosmetic) kruft left over in Windows Update.
It's almost certainly an obscure config file or registry setting, but none of the normal "fix your problems with Update" solutions touch it, probably because Update is actually working properly except for the header on the install progress screen. I can live with it.

Lee I am so fed up with this MS forced upgrade to Windows 10, can you tell us the link that got that Darn GWX thing off our systems? I even went to far as to purchase a Mac to get away from M$. BS.

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2015, 9:12 PM
Lee I am so fed up with this MS forced upgrade to Windows 10, can you tell us the link that got that Darn GWX thing off our systems? I even went to far as to purchase a Mac to get away from M$. BS.I don't recall offhand exactly what I did at the time: it involved several of the first 4-5 hits you get when you google "delete gwx". But it appears the link in post #7 above combines several of the steps. Didn't help my problem with Window Update, but so it goes.

John Noell
10-31-2015, 11:27 PM
... We are running Corel X-4 & things seem to be running fine.
Do you have menus showing in X4? They weren't there for me. And after I decided to do a clean install, it won't even LET me install X4. And X6 still has blanks where the menu headings should be.

Chris Parks
11-01-2015, 12:38 AM
Lee I am so fed up with this MS forced upgrade to Windows 10, can you tell us the link that got that Darn GWX thing off our systems? I even went to far as to purchase a Mac to get away from M$. BS.

Try this http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-rid-windows-10-upgrade-notification-windows-7-8/

Bill George
11-01-2015, 9:34 AM
Try this http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-rid-windows-10-upgrade-notification-windows-7-8/

Thanks Chris but I also found a lot of info on howtogeek dot com and the bad Windows update (at least one) is KB3035583. It also seems if you allow the Windows 10 update to complete MS then uses your computer as a terminal or site to download it to other computers, just like a virus would do.

Chris Parks
11-01-2015, 10:07 AM
I think there is a lot of unfounded conjecture out there surrounding Win 10, NS can't use your computer if it is not turned on and I have found no evidence of it in my data usage. It would be very evident in Australia as everyone has a data cap per month for internet usage and I haven't seen people getting upset about it. I think Win 10 is a huge improvement over Win 7 but it does need patience to learn it as did every new version.

Bill George
11-01-2015, 10:21 AM
I have everything working fine on Windows 7 Pro 64, I don't need Win 10 nor do I want the annoying icon and pop up ads for it. People are being duped into a troublesome update and should be allowed to opt out of the campaign.

Chris Parks
11-01-2015, 10:33 AM
I had no trouble updating.

John Noell
11-01-2015, 11:32 AM
... People are being duped into a troublesome update and should be allowed to opt out of the campaign.
Bill, although I am sticking with Win7 on my laser (for now), as an ex-coder and developer I see a LOT of value to MS's effort to get everyone on the same OS. It greatly simplifies the update process to have a single target and it makes it easier to keep people protected from malware. Overall, the conversion to Win10 seems to be working rather well. There are ALWAYS problems in updating diverse systems but this one has been pretty good IMO. Duped is way too strong a word here. (Now, as it applies to something like the "GF"...)

Kev Williams
11-01-2015, 12:52 PM
My problem with these upgrades, forced or not, is that THEY DUMP THE OLD TECH I NEED TO RUN MY OLD EQUIPMENT.

My GCC laser, my HP3050 printer and my 2005 Quickbooks will NOT work on ANY 64 bit OS.

My two IS machines and the Triumph are the only machines I own that will work with 7 and 8.1, but will they work with 10?

I use Corel X4, John Noell above is having trouble getting his to work. Corel X4 runs so slowly on my 8.1 that I don't even bother.

My 3200, three 3400's and three Vanguards ALL require XP because they use parallel or serial cables. NO one has ever gotten
a USB-to-parallel adapter to work. I DID get a USB-to-serial adapter to work-- for about a week, then it started throwing
garbage data to the machine. Not cool when you're engraving a $3600 stainless steel microphone.

I still use NH's ancient Opensys engraving program, and 3 versions of Casmate, one a DOS version. I use them because for creating engraveable toolpaths and vector art from customer's artwork, they're so much better than Corel's 'trace' or Gravostyle's vectorization that it's not even funny. And all 3 versions require a dongle plugged into a parallel port, that DOS must be able to read. Because that don't happen even with XP, I have a computer running Win98se just for Casmate and Opensys...

My computers WORK for a living, they're not "social media" centers. The ONLY thing they do besides WORK is light internet duty like forums, buying stuff, selling stuff, news, and email. I could give a rats *** about touch screens, bluetoothing to my frickin' car or streaming movies (I have a 70" Sharp Aquos Quattron, thank you, why should I watch movies on a computer screen??) I don't want, nor can I use Windows 10. I make a great living with all my old, PAID FOR, working-perfectly equipment, and I refuse to replace any of it just to keep Macrohard happy. I'll just keep buying used computers and loading them up with 98 and XP.

Bill George
11-01-2015, 2:06 PM
I have no problems if you want to upgrade to Windows 10, its the way its being forced on your computer without your permission and downloaded to reside on your computer so IF you decide to upgrade its right there. Forced? Strong word, but folks with metered internet are discovering 4 to 6 Gb of files downloaded on their systems and caused overage changes to their billing.

I know friends who are clueless about computers being duped (meaning decieved or fooled ) into installing Win10. They are clueless and if M$ thinks it good for me , I need to do it. Then I get the emails and phone calls about "my computer does not do xxxxx" since I upgraded to Windows 10 like I was Told. Help!!

Ron Gosnell
11-01-2015, 2:47 PM
To make things even stranger.
If you are one of the folks who updated to windows 10 do this....
Go to Control Panel-User Accounts-Windows Credentials--and see who is in the Generic Credentials.
Do you know this person ? Why is he there and why is he password protected? Why can't you delete him?
Well you can but he comes right back. You cant get rid of him. Big brother is watching ?
Now go to your network and see who's on it. Do you have a phone or other device showing up that you do not own ?
I'm not paranoid because I'm not doing anything wrong but.... I do things online such as banking and shopping
and am not comfortable with who is watching me type in my passwords for my bank or paypal.
I don't have that peaceful easy feeling going on at this point.

Gozzie

David Somers
11-01-2015, 3:04 PM
Gozzie,

I am not seeing that in my system.
So I assume you have a user that was brought over from your previous Windows version.
Did you have both a general user and an Administrative User that were separate names? If you were now logged in as the general user you would not have administrative rights to delete another user.
Incidentally, that is a good security approach in older versions of Windows. 1 username that has administrative rights. And 1 or more users who have lesser rights. You do your day to day work with the lesser rights and you use the elevated privileges of the Admin user when needed. Then if you get hacked the hacked account does not have admin privileges. Unfortunately, most folks setup their only account on a machine so it does have Admin privileges and then when they get hacked the hacker or process also has full rights to the machine.

Does anyone else in your household have access to the machine that might have setup an account for themselves?

For what it is worth. In Windows 10, if you have just one account it has admin rights. However, for most day to day things it utilizes only normal rights to the machine. In order for the elevated privileges to be applied you have to respond to a question from Windows to allow it for a specific task. You can go one step further and require a password to utilize that higher privilege level.

Dave

Ron Gosnell
11-01-2015, 3:16 PM
Good points and advice Dave. Just me and my wife on the computer using the same account.
But it is an administer account. If I can get rid of this guy I will change to a user account
and password protect the Admin account and quit using it. I hope I don't have to reinstall again !
Any ideas on how to get rid of this guy ?

Gozzie

Bob A Miller
11-01-2015, 3:54 PM
John.... Yes the menus did show up ok... After reading the other posts, makes me wonder if I got through this by sheer blind luck?

David Somers
11-01-2015, 4:31 PM
Gozzie,

Would you be willing to take a screen snapshot and Email that to me?
d underscore mylastname at that email system with hot in its name

Dave

Ron Gosnell
11-01-2015, 5:07 PM
Hi Dave,
I deleted that account and it hasn't come back yet...but it will
I'll post a screenshot when it does. It usually doesn't take but an hour or 2 for it to return.

Gozzie

Ross Moshinsky
11-01-2015, 5:45 PM
Hi Dave,
I deleted that account and it hasn't come back yet...but it will
I'll post a screenshot when it does. It usually doesn't take but an hour or 2 for it to return.

Gozzie

What's the origin of the computer? If it was built or purchased used, it makes perfect sense why another user would appear.

Chris Parks
11-01-2015, 7:44 PM
If I had a computer with legacy software on it that needed to avoid all upgrades for work purposes no way would it be connected to the internet ever.

Michael Hunter
11-01-2015, 8:20 PM
My computers WORK for a living, they're not "social media" centers.

Wierdly (to us old dinosaurs) social media IS now regarded as work!

I do engraving and other bits and pieces for a small company that makes hydraulic hand pumps.
Since this spring, they have been employing a girl (full time) to keep up their presence on facebook and twitter and also make youtube videos of the pumps in action.
She's very slick and efficient and (amazingly) their sales seem to be going up because of her efforts.
On the whole, the pumps are bought by other companies to incorporate into their own equipment - so the engineers at those companies must be swayed into specifying stuff that they see on social media. I'm just glad that I will be retiring soon!

Ron Gosnell
11-01-2015, 8:32 PM
Gozzie,

Would you be willing to take a screen snapshot and Email that to me?
d underscore mylastname at that email system with hot in its name

Dave

Here you go Dave, it's back

~

virtualapp/didlogical I did a search on this and came up with very unusual results.
Everything from a virus to a Microsoft back door.
If you are not logged on as administrator they say you may not see it.

David Somers
11-01-2015, 8:52 PM
Thanks Gozzie!

That is a generic credential and not a real user. It gets used by Windows Live Apps and some Windows processes to store the password for certain types of apps and processes so you dont have to deal with them. Think of them almost as a system level credential and password. I dealt with these on a network admin level for processes that had to run under admin credentials but needed to be something other than my own admin login doing it. If you think about it, I had 500 users and computers, 12 networks and a slug of servers to deal with scattered over 6000 miles of ocean. f I used my admin login to deal with these I would have to constantly traipse around trying to keep up with them. And my password was forced to change every 30 days. I would have had to track all these down and update them to match the change. A generic credential eliminated that. Same idea in your case, but it is a a local windows credential.

You could just ignore it. It does no harm.
If you want to see what it is associated with it follow this screen in Win10

The easy way to find it is to use the Windows search bar and search for Credentials Manager. Otherwise you can drill down to it graphically. Once you are there select Windows Credentials. Then look for the entry you are concerned with "virtualapp/didlogical" and click the down arrow to its far right. That will open up the listing. You will see a remove option there that should take it away.

Now in this case, you are finding that it comes back after a modest time after you do just that? In that case, the process that has used it is recreating the credential as it comes into play again. Again, it is not a security issue.

Does that help?

Curt Harms
11-02-2015, 8:05 AM
David Somers (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?114834-David-Somers)
Contributor

A great huge +1 to creating images. It can be FAR quicker to restore an image than to try to unravel and repair what messed up. A quick google search for "free imaging software" should bring up some options. Macrium Reflect seems to get pretty good reviews. The free versions are for personal use only. I've used an imaging app (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm) from Terabyteunlimited for several years. Restored Windows images have always booted and worked as expected.

Curt Harms
11-02-2015, 8:19 AM
To make things even stranger.
If you are one of the folks who updated to windows 10 do this....
Go to Control Panel-User Accounts-Windows Credentials--and see who is in the Generic Credentials.
Do you know this person ? Why is he there and why is he password protected? Why can't you delete him?
Well you can but he comes right back. You cant get rid of him. Big brother is watching ?
Now go to your network and see who's on it. Do you have a phone or other device showing up that you do not own ?
I'm not paranoid because I'm not doing anything wrong but.... I do things online such as banking and shopping
and am not comfortable with who is watching me type in my passwords for my bank or paypal.
I don't have that peaceful easy feeling going on at this point.

Gozzie

This is why I have 2 bootable partitions (Linux user primarily). One O.S. is used ONLY for banking, insurance etc. That setup has no Flash, no Java, very plain vanilla setup. That O.S. doesn't go anywhere near Amazon, Facebook, Ebay or any other website likely to download things that don't need to be thereTM. The second O.S. is used for web browsing (like now) and has Virtualbox with Windows 10 running as a guest. That seems to work out pretty well though my Windows needs are very limited - Garmin GPS mostly.

Lee DeRaud
11-02-2015, 9:55 AM
David Somers (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?114834-David-Somers)
Contributor

A great huge +1 to creating images. It can be FAR quicker to restore an image than to try to unravel and repair what messed up. A quick google search for "free imaging software" should bring up some options. Macrium Reflect seems to get pretty good reviews. The free versions are for personal use only. I've used an imaging app (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm) from Terabyteunlimited for several years. Restored Windows images have always booted and worked as expected.A limited (but useable) version of Acronis True Image comes free with all Western Digital external drives these day, maybe with internals too for all I know.

Kev Williams
11-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Wierdly (to us old dinosaurs) social media IS now regarded as work!

I do engraving and other bits and pieces for a small company that makes hydraulic hand pumps.
Since this spring, they have been employing a girl (full time) to keep up their presence on facebook and twitter and also make youtube videos of the pumps in action.
She's very slick and efficient and (amazingly) their sales seem to be going up because of her efforts.
On the whole, the pumps are bought by other companies to incorporate into their own equipment - so the engineers at those companies must be swayed into specifying stuff that they see on social media. I'm just glad that I will be retiring soon!

I understand the need for facebook and others to help with advertising, and new computer technology is necessary. What MS doesn't understand is me, and many like me have no use for it. In 49 years our only form of advertising was our name in the yellow pages, and we stopped that over 15 years ago. I've actually asked Yelp and Google and others to get my business, or at least my phone number, off the search engines.

I'm fine with all this new tech, but can't someone build a computer and an OS that HASN'T dumped all "legacy" equipment and capabilities? The worst joke in the world is MS's 'compatibility' wizard or whatever it's called. I only wish...

Al Launier
11-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Sorry to hear of all the problems folks are having.
I currently have W8.1 & have reserved W10. After reading various artices about W10, including an article in PC World which recommended waitng, I've decided to wait until next July, at the very last minute, to install W10, hoping by that time most of the problems will be "fixed".

Ron Gosnell
11-02-2015, 2:54 PM
Thanks Gozzie!

That is a generic credential and not a real user. It gets used by Windows Live Apps and some Windows processes to store the password for certain types of apps and processes so you dont have to deal with them. Think of them almost as a system level credential and password. I dealt with these on a network admin level for processes that had to run under admin credentials but needed to be something other than my own admin login doing it. If you think about it, I had 500 users and computers, 12 networks and a slug of servers to deal with scattered over 6000 miles of ocean. f I used my admin login to deal with these I would have to constantly traipse around trying to keep up with them. And my password was forced to change every 30 days. I would have had to track all these down and update them to match the change. A generic credential eliminated that. Same idea in your case, but it is a a local windows credential.

You could just ignore it. It does no harm.
If you want to see what it is associated with it follow this screen in Win10

The easy way to find it is to use the Windows search bar and search for Credentials Manager. Otherwise you can drill down to it graphically. Once you are there select Windows Credentials. Then look for the entry you are concerned with "virtualapp/didlogical" and click the down arrow to its far right. That will open up the listing. You will see a remove option there that should take it away.

Now in this case, you are finding that it comes back after a modest time after you do just that? In that case, the process that has used it is recreating the credential as it comes into play again. Again, it is not a security issue.

Does that help?

Wow, Thank you Dave !

That's a great explanation and with your experience and knowledge I now feel safe.
It's good to see it on your system as well so now I can relax.
As far as everything else goes windows 10 is working good now and I am getting more comfortable with it.

Thank you again my friend

Gozzie

Curt Harms
11-03-2015, 8:45 AM
I understand the need for facebook and others to help with advertising, and new computer technology is necessary. What MS doesn't understand is me, and many like me have no use for it. In 49 years our only form of advertising was our name in the yellow pages, and we stopped that over 15 years ago. I've actually asked Yelp and Google and others to get my business, or at least my phone number, off the search engines.

I'm fine with all this new tech, but can't someone build a computer and an OS that HASN'T dumped all "legacy" equipment and capabilities? The worst joke in the world is MS's 'compatibility' wizard or whatever it's called. I only wish...

If the equipment manufacturers would write drivers and offer support for current O.S.s there wouldn't be such an issue. I don't have an old laser or engraver to test connectivity but Virtualbox and I'm sure other Virtual Machine software will install and run Microsoft O.S.s back to DOS.

Paul hardy
11-03-2015, 2:42 PM
Just for info if it will help anyone else.... we are still using CorelDraw X5. Technically no Win 8 support until X6.

I have tried multiple ways to get X5 working under Win 8 and Win 10 w/ no luck. Most of this was in virtual machines, but I did take one laptop w/ Win 8.1 and let it upgrade to Win 10. CD X5 won't even install; I get an error as soon as the installer starts.

So if you are suing an older version of CD, you will probably have to figure in the cost of an upgrade to your 'free' Win 10 upgrade.

Kev Williams
11-03-2015, 5:17 PM
I have virtualbox. For Casmate to work, virtualbox and/or the host OS must be able to read the dongles on LPT1, but they don't. Virtualbox WILL run the Opensys engraving software, since it doesn't have a dongle, but it's moot because I run it in conjunction with Casmate.

And even if virtualbox COULD read the dongles, I could only use the DOS version of Casmate because the 2 newer versions are 8-bit Windows programs, and won't run on anything newer than WinME. And I need the newer versions to run Opensys because the DOS version won't...

Just a bunch of catch-22's...

Gary Hair
11-03-2015, 5:48 PM
I have tried multiple ways to get X5 working under Win 8 and Win 10 w/ no luck. Most of this was in virtual machines

I have a feeling it was something with the VM. I have X5 on three different Win 8 machines and it is working fine.

Curt Harms
11-04-2015, 6:45 AM
I have virtualbox. For Casmate to work, virtualbox and/or the host OS must be able to read the dongles on LPT1, but they don't. Virtualbox WILL run the Opensys engraving software, since it doesn't have a dongle, but it's moot because I run it in conjunction with Casmate.

And even if virtualbox COULD read the dongles, I could only use the DOS version of Casmate because the 2 newer versions are 8-bit Windows programs, and won't run on anything newer than WinME. And I need the newer versions to run Opensys because the DOS version won't...

Just a bunch of catch-22's...

I can see where Dongles could be a pain. Does the dongle show up in the Devices menu? I've never had to deal with them and for that i give thanks. I'm curious, why do you have to run the DOS version of Casmate? Windows 95/98/ME won't install as a guest in the VM? Hardware attached to Win9x guest O.S.s don't show up? I had a problem with not being able to print to a networked printer from a guest Windows O.S. The reason seems to have been that the first network connection used NAT. Fortunately VirtualBox has 4 virtual network connections. I designated the second as bridged,reinstalled the printer and was able to print.

Kev Williams
11-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Never had good luck with any VM I've tried. Last weekend I loaded the XP VM on my Win7 64 Enterprise computer, took a couple of hours, and lo and behold, I got my GCC driver to load! But true to form, loading a driver and it actually working is 2 different things. I could load 98 on a VM to my main computer, but as it is, both computers, monitors, mice & keyboards are side by side on one table, and it's actually more convenient to have both computers always usable than it is to switch between them. Been that route with KVM switches.

I have 3 Casmates, the 3.21 Dos version, Casmate Lite 6.52, and I have a dongle for the 6.52 full version...
The DOS version is MUCH easier to edit with, simply because of the screen colors I can choose, I'm able to see what I'm editing! The Lite version has a bright white background I can't change and much higher resolution, both of which makes it hard to see what you're editing! Also the controls in the DOS version are much simpler.

So why bother with the Lite version? 2 reasons:
1, because the DOS version has no file conversion for the OPENSYS program. Lite will convert anything to an opensys font. I build jobs in DOS and use Lite to create the engraving file.
2, because the graphics to line art vectorization is vastly improved over the DOS version, even tho the DOS version is still 1000% better than Corel's trace.

The 2-casmate deal may seem inefficient but after 20+ years of it, it ain't broke... ;)

Curt Harms
11-05-2015, 7:24 AM
I have VirtualBox running on an Ubuntu host. VirtualBox (though not the most recent version) is found in the repositories. I wonder if that's why we've had different experiences. I also haven't had to deal with dongles. Hard to argue with the "if it ain't broke ...." logic though.