PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail jigs/ which bit,which bushing, which comb size??

Dominick Giarraputo
08-29-2005, 10:03 PM
This is my first time posting and I would like to say hello to all. I was hoping to get some help on dovetail jigs. I recently built a version of the jig from the "Woodsmith" magazine plans and it works great but it only gives info on using a 1/2" bit with a 7/16" bushing. Can anyone enlighten me on what bits to use with what bushings and what template spacing? I would like to make different size templates to cut different size joints but I can't find any info to give me a starting place. Just to see what would happen, I tried a 3/8" bit using a 7/16" bushing and the same template and Ooo boy, tails on seroids, pins too small... this would be wrong! I would also like to attempt to make a template to cut through dovetails....but once again, where do I start?

Any help would be greatly appreceated.

Thanks,

Jim Hager
08-30-2005, 9:50 AM
Can't really help you on your dovetail problem but welcome to the creek anyway.:D I use the porter cable 24" dovetail machine. Kinda pricy a few years back and now they have an even better model out for a little better price. It had a learning curve too!! I leave it set up and do the same thing with it so I don't have to change anything much. I have a dedicated router for it to so I don't have to fuss with the bit too often.

Dominick Giarraputo
08-30-2005, 6:36 PM
Jim, Thanks for the welcome note. I think we're in the same boat as far as not changing the settings too much. I only have one project in the works that I need to do drawers for which doesn't justify me buying a pricy jig to maybe use only once or twice. That's what prompted me to build one instead. For the most part, it does a fantastic job. I just thought if I could expand it's veristility a little it might statisfy an future needs.

Jim Becker
08-30-2005, 9:00 PM
I suspect (strongly) that the jig is designed specifically for a 1/2" 14º Dovetail bit and 7/16" guide bushing...which is common to most half-blind jigs like this. Unless the designer can provide you with other templates set up for different sizes or you can figure out the math necessary to do it yourself, you'll likely be making 1/2" dovetails! The folks at Woodsmith are nice people, so I'd suggest you contact them to see if they know if anyone has done this already.

BTW, you did a nice job on that jig. It looks great!

Jim Benante
08-31-2005, 1:27 AM
Dominick-

Which issue of Woodsmith had the plans for that jig? Looks good and seems like a cool project to try.

Nice work.

Jim

Dominick Giarraputo
08-31-2005, 8:30 AM
Hey all, JBecker thanks for the cudo's on the jig...and you read my mind about contacting the people at Woodsmith! I'll let you know what the response is.

JBenante It's was in Woodsith issue no. 58 but I went to PlansNow to download the plans. They were only $4.95, a bargin I think even if you just use it on one project. I did changed a few things though not knowing how it would turn out. I didn't use the cams on the hold down bars. Since I have a bunch of those wooden knobs I used them instead by putting a carrage bolt in them. I just used scrap 2x6 for the body, poplar for the hold down bars, and a piece of veneered particle board for the base. I also didn't use the threaded inserts as it called for in the plans. I used some Tee nuts in counterbores instead figuring that the inserts might pull throught the pine fairly easy. I spent way less than the $30 or $40 project cost it said in the plans and have something that might be better than what I might have bought at the store just to get by with.

Bill Wiggins
08-31-2005, 1:23 PM
I had been thinking about making that same jig, since my hand-cut dovetails have been coming out horribly. But I have held off because that jig, as advertised, is for half-blind only - not through.

I think I will reconsider making the jig now. I'd be very, very interested to find out if you can do through dovetails with it. Thanks for the inspiration to get off my duff!

Bill Smith

Dominick Giarraputo
08-31-2005, 5:56 PM
Bill, here's a little motivation for you to turn that inspiration into perspiration! :)
Just a couple more pictures. Yeah, I'm realy scratching my head on how to come up with a through d/T template. Ooh, and Jim Benante asked about where I found the plans and I forgot to include the web address, sorry Jim. Here it is.

http://plansnow.com/dovejig.html

I'm sure after some trial N error I could come up with template that would work but my math is horrible! I'd rather go from something that I know would work and get it right the first time.