PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Identify This Laser Engraver.

Lisa May
10-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this group, but have been working with laser engravers for a while now. I started working on 2 different machines (an Epilog and a Trotec Speedy 100R). I recently started my own business and bought a Full Spectrum 4th Gen Hobby Laser, but have found that the laser tube blows frequently and I struggle to get the spares from America. I am looking at buying a second hand laser and have been in touch with a lady selling a Trotec Speedy 100R, but the pictures that she forwarded to me look similar in structure and build, but the logos are different and the control panel is placed in front, not on the right hand side. Maybe it could be an earlier model, but if someone could take a look at the pictures I have attached and let me know what they think I would be very grateful. I am very nervous of buying a fake machine.
Thanks,

Kind Regards,
Lisa

Gary Hair
10-28-2015, 12:57 PM
If it's not a Trotec it's a pretty good replica. Not that I'm an expert on Trotec, but it has very similar features to mine. If I were you I'd send the pictures to Trotec support and ask them, they should give you a definitive answer not just a good guess. support@troteclaser.com

Bill George
10-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Have the seller email a picture of the data or nameplate in the back. It does not look like a Trotec logo but I don't own one.

Lisa May
10-28-2015, 1:20 PM
Hi Gary, Thanks very much for your suggestion, I have just sent them an email now. Quick question, Is your control panel in the same place (front)?

Lisa May
10-28-2015, 1:21 PM
Hi Bill, Thanks very much, I will ask them to send that through to me. Thanks again.

John Bion
10-28-2015, 1:34 PM
HI Lisa, Where are you based? Perhaps there are alternative spare parts suppliers for your “Full Spectrum”. As far as I understand, the FS lasers are little more than a Chinese Laser with some altered software. Others on the forum may be able to advise if they know where you are.
Kind Regards, John

Keith Winter
10-28-2015, 1:43 PM
No the Trotec controls are on the side unsure about their early lasers

Lisa May
10-28-2015, 1:45 PM
Hi John, I am based in Zimbabwe. So whenever I need spares for my FS laser I deal directly with Full Spectrum in Las Vegas. They have been very helpful but unfortunately it takes 6 weeks to clear the parts through customs here, that is why I am looking at going Epilog or Trotec, I will be able to get support in South Africa and it won't take as long to get the parts.

John Bion
10-28-2015, 1:55 PM
Hi Lisa, I am in the UK now but I am from Zimbabwe too! We use to live in Troutbeck.
Why don’t you send a message to Rodney Gold in Cape Town, he is a moderator on this forum. He may be able to help you with alternative contacts in SA. Let me know if we can ever help from here.
Kind Regards, John

Tony Lenkic
10-28-2015, 2:02 PM
Hi Lisa,

That is a Trotec laser, most likely 10 years old. Yes I vave seen controls as they show in picture.

Bert Kemp
10-28-2015, 2:18 PM
Hi Lisa,
The FSL 4th Gen is pretty much obsolete now anyways you'll be so much happier with a Trotec even if it is an older model .

Matt McCoy
10-28-2015, 2:50 PM
Lisa, the FSL 4th Gen (Hobby/Deluxe Hobby) is/was a K40 laser with their proprietary control card and software. Parts are pretty widely available, if you need to source something closer to home.

I see someone already mentioned Rodney Gold.

Lisa May
11-02-2015, 2:43 AM
Hi Lisa, I am in the UK now but I am from Zimbabwe too! We use to live in Troutbeck.
Why don’t you send a message to Rodney Gold in Cape Town, he is a moderator on this forum. He may be able to help you with alternative contacts in SA. Let me know if we can ever help from here.
Kind Regards, John

Wow!! What a small world!! That is awesome! We often go up to Nyanga to spend the weekend. Definitely one of my favorite places in Zim! I have tried to get hold of Rodney Gold, but I cant seem to find any contact details or information for him, would you be able to point me in the right direction? Thanks very much for all your help, I really appreciate it!

John Bion
11-02-2015, 4:15 AM
HI Lisa,
Here is a link to Rodney’s page, you could try PM from here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?3285-Rodne-Gold . He has always been most helpful on these forums and is well respected.
Hope you come right.
John

Lisa May
11-02-2015, 4:36 AM
Thanks very much to everyone for your helpful messages. I found out that the Trotec machine that I posted in the original thread is called a Trotec Speedy 1 (not Speedy 100R) - the tech from Trotec informed me that this is one of their earlier models, and that unfortunately they are going to discontinue tech support and spare parts for this model. So it doesn't seem like it would be a good option for me.

I have managed to send Rodney Gold a message regarding my Full Spectrum Laser, so I am hoping to have that back up and running soon.
Thanks again everyone.