PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Thermostat

Sean Troy
10-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Hey all, anyone have any recommendations for a wireless thermostat? I don't need to have one of those you can control by phone or tablet, just one I can move to another room when using our fireplace. Ours is located in the same room and when using the fireplace to heat the great room, the rest of the house gets cold. Thanks, Sean

Lee Schierer
10-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Rather than moving the thermostat, turn the system fan on so it runs while the fireplace is being used and some of the heat from the fire place will be moved to the rest of the house through your heat system.

Bruce Page
10-28-2015, 12:01 PM
We have the same problem, our thermostat is just down the hall from the family room. When I had a new furnace & AC installed I asked about moving the thermostat and the HVAC guy recommended this unit: http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-YTH6320R1001-Wireless-Thermostat-Programmable/dp/B001O4F8Y4

I haven't bought it yet.

Sean Troy
10-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Rather than moving the thermostat, turn the system fan on so it runs while the fireplace is being used and some of the heat from the fire place will be moved to the rest of the house through your heat system.
Hi Lee. I've tried that and it really does very little. Sean

Sean Troy
10-28-2015, 12:52 PM
I'll look into that and read up on that unit. Thank you, Sean

Jeff Monson
10-28-2015, 2:26 PM
I have a Honeywell wireless also. Works great, I do however control mine from my phone or by the thermostat itself. It was easy to install and easy to configure. I believe I paid in the $139.00 range.

Sean Troy
10-28-2015, 3:43 PM
It's not that I would mind having the ability to control from my phone, I just don't see the need for the added expense but if I got a good price on a well rated unit, I'm sure I would use that feature.

Lee Schierer
10-28-2015, 9:07 PM
Another idea is to install a second conventional thermostat where you would plan to move the wireless one and connect i in parallel with the existing one. Whichever thermostat needs heat would turn on the furnace. The furnace won't know the difference.

Sean Troy
10-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Another idea is to install a second conventional thermostat where you would plan to move the wireless one and connect i in parallel with the existing one. Whichever thermostat needs heat would turn on the furnace. The furnace won't know the difference.
Good idea but that would require a lot more work, crawling under the house, running wire and trying to get it up through a wall. Wireless, connect a few wires, done.

Matt Meiser
10-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Insteon might do the same thing with a wired thermostat plus a wireless remote thermostat.

Jack Lemley
10-29-2015, 8:03 AM
Jeff,

I'd like the model number or maybe a picture of the thermostat you have. I like the moveable wireless thermostat but also would like to control via smart phone.

Thanks
Jack

I have a Honeywell wireless also. Works great, I do however control mine from my phone or by the thermostat itself. It was easy to install and easy to configure. I believe I paid in the $139.00 range.

Alan Rutherford
10-29-2015, 9:21 AM
"Wireless" seems to mean "WiFi" in most cases today. If you want to use a remote and not your phone, look carefully.

We have a Nest wireless (WiFi) thermostat because the utility company gave it to us free. I never found out why. I would not buy one. Except for the wireless feature, it's a decent $50 programmable thermostat but sold for over $200. They even sent a local electrician to install it. He was unable to get it to connect to our router. I worked that out myself later.

The biggest annoyance was the auto-learning feature where every time you change it, it remembers and repeats that change next week at the same time. It took weeks to figure out what was happening and turn that feature off.

The auto-away feature where it goes to a money-saving setting when no one is home is OK. However, Google now owns Nest and Google already knows more about me than my wife. I don't want Google or anything else on the internet knowing whether I'm home. I've turned off its internet access for that reason and because I don't need remote control and because the data collection (which could be a great feature) is not downloadable and is so dumbed down as to be useless.

Google "remote control thermostat" and you'll find many options but you'll have to dig through them to sort out what you do and don't want.