PDA

View Full Version : Window Well Covers - Cat Problem

George Bokros
10-28-2015, 7:55 AM
We have a neighborhood free range cat that is using my window well as it personal spot for leaving its excrement. I was thinking about a window well cover but reading the reviews almost all of them become brittle from the UV rays and shatter after about three years. Though the ones I have seen at the BORG are not expensive I really do not want to have to replace them every few years. The window well is on the south side to it does get a lot of sun UV rays.

Can anyone recommend a window well cover that is durable but won't break the bank? Or how can I deter the cat from using my window well for its personal latrine? I do not want to do anything to harm the cat. I am an animal lover and the cat does keep the area free of critters, field mice, voles and such. I only use kill methods for things like woodchucks that dig under my shed.

Thanks

George

Matt Day
10-28-2015, 8:14 AM
Three years is a long time in the life of a cat, especially one that libes outside.
I bet it will either pass on by the time the cover gets brittle, or will at least have found a new spot to do its business.

George Bokros
10-28-2015, 8:20 AM
This cat has been around for 5 yrs. It is not a feral cat it belongs to a neighbor and it is fed and has shelter. It stopped using my window well but has started using it again.

glenn bradley
10-28-2015, 8:25 AM
Orange oil is supposed to deter cats. I just got some and applied it so, no first hand experience yet.

roger wiegand
10-28-2015, 8:54 AM
The last ones I bought at the orange borg were still going strong 10 years after I installed them at my prior house. They weren't on the sunniest side of the house though. Perhaps a UV-blocking clear finish? If you are looking at the same clip on ones they were cheap and easy to replace (I did replace one when I stepped through it). In the new house I've got two window egress wells and they want $500 each for the covers for those. Sure would like a less expensive solution for that! I'd like to keep most of the rain, snow, and leaves out while letting the light in.

Curt Harms
10-28-2015, 9:37 AM
You can get sprays and hang-on things that are supposed to deter cats. If that didn't work, I'd probably put something in the window well that is uncomfortable to stand on and impossible to dig, something like plywood with a bunch of nails or screws driven into it. We've had a window well cover for probably 18 years but it's on the north side and shaded by plants so no sunlight to speak of.

ryan paulsen
10-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Could you just get one of the metal grate-type covers as opposed to the plastic ones? I agree, the plastic ones (BORG) fall apart after a season or 2.

Lee Schierer
10-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Since you are an animal lover, get a dog. The dog will deter the cat from even coming in your yard. :rolleyes:

Pat Barry
10-28-2015, 12:46 PM
What do you have in the window well, sand? Maybe salamanders? Something is attracting the cat. I think you should eliminate what is attracting the cat and your problem will be solved. Please don't put a piece of plywood with nails sticking out - that's simply brutal - also, what if a neighborhood kid decides to explore it, maybe chasing a lost ball?

George Bokros
10-28-2015, 12:47 PM
Since you are an animal lover, get a dog. The dog will deter the cat from even coming in your yard. :rolleyes:

I have two dogs but they are inside dogs so they do nothing to deter the cat.

Peter Kelly
10-28-2015, 2:58 PM
Scat Mat: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Operated-Scat-Mat-48x20/dp/B0007NTBJ6
The cat won't come back after it's out there for a few days.

Should also have a talk with the neighbor that owns it about keeping it inside. Outdoor / feral house cats are a non-native species and have decimated songbird populations all over.

Totally irresponsible to let it roam around free.

Curt Harms
10-29-2015, 7:12 AM
What do you have in the window well, sand? Maybe salamanders? Something is attracting the cat. I think you should eliminate what is attracting the cat and your problem will be solved. Please don't put a piece of plywood with nails sticking out - that's simply brutal - also, what if a neighborhood kid decides to explore it, maybe chasing a lost ball?

Head side out, not the sharp side. Just make it uncomfortable to stand on.

George Bokros
10-29-2015, 7:29 AM
What do you have in the window well, sand?

I have marble chips is the window well. They have been in there for 15 years but the cat came about 5 yrs ago and only recently started using it as his drop spot.

Erik Loza
10-29-2015, 8:44 AM
One of our indoor cats suddenly decided to use the soil of a large potted plant we have in the living room as a litter box. I cut a few pieced of black plastic "eggcrate" (used under flourescent lights in offices) and covered the exposed soil with that. Never had an issue after that. I don't know if eggcrate would work outside but the cats didn't like the sharp grate-type effect. Maybe you could find something similar for outside? Best of luck with it.

Erik

Neil Gaskin
10-29-2015, 9:59 PM
Depends on the size of the well, If you have a local ABC Supply store check there. Home Depot and other box stores will be useless. Stay away from plastic, they do not last well. Most decent metal covers are around 150 around here.

Clay Parrish
11-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Try peeing in a cup and spreading the urine over the area. Might make kitty decide that the 'big cat' has claimed his space. Could also sprinkle the area with cayenne pepper.

Keith Westfall
11-18-2015, 1:32 AM
Had a neighbour that put moth balls in his garden..., not sure just how effective it was. It would keep me away :D