PDA

View Full Version : Need a source for Powermatic at a good price

Frederick Skelly
10-27-2015, 8:40 PM
Hi guys.
Still looking for a mortiser, if I can get a good price. I've pretty much settled on the PM701 with it's 3/4 hp motor - if I can get a good price. Does anyone have an online source for PM products at a lower prices? (There was a great 1 day sale at Zoro, but they dont stock the PM701.)

Anyone have a source or know of a place that has regular sales on PM?

Thank you!
Fred

Scott Brandstetter
10-27-2015, 11:56 PM
You have had a lot of people look at your thread but no responses so I thought I would throw my hat in the ring. Normally, Jet/Powermatic does a 15% off sale several times a year. I don't know exactly when they do it but you might go to a local WoodCraft Store and see when their next sale is.....assuming you are close to one.

Cary Falk
10-28-2015, 2:12 AM
Tools Plus is having a Toolarama sale. Powermatic is not included but read on another site if you call them(800-222-6133) they have special pricing.

Ben Rivel
10-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Oh keep your eye on eBay. If you can get in when they are doing one of their 5x eBay Bucks deals you can earn those to make the deal better. And usually its easy enough to find a seller that offers no sales tax and free shipping.

Bob Varney
10-28-2015, 2:40 PM
Black Friday is a month or so away if you can wait that long sure to be 10-15% of somewhere.

Bob

bob cohen
10-28-2015, 3:57 PM
I recommend you contact Robert Thompson at Southern Tool. I bought my planer, table saw and dust collector from him all at once, two years ago. He beat everyone else's price easily. Of course, I got a substantial discount for buying them all at once, but I would still give him a call. Prompt delivery as well.

Tom M King
10-28-2015, 4:07 PM
They changed the design on the clamping mechanism, now rollers, on that model a few years ago. The old design clamp could move the fence, but I'm sure that was operator error. I looked at that one a few years ago when I needed to buy a couple, and ended up getting Woodtek models. They do fine. I don't remember the price differences.

Richard McComas
10-28-2015, 4:41 PM
Last time I got real thrifty and waited and waited, looked and looked for the absolute lowest price the price went up while I was looking. :)

Frederick Skelly
10-28-2015, 7:42 PM
Thanks for all the leads guys. That helps me out! Much appreciated!

Richard: you're absolutely right about that! Im trying to figure out if the $489 everyone currenly shows online is really a sale price or a retail price. The way it's posted on several sites looks like it may be a mfr incentive price to the distributors. If so, I ought to buy now b/c it won't go much below that - certainly not another 15% - therefore I could goof myself up like you said. :)

Fred

Tom M King
10-28-2015, 10:10 PM
I think it would be well advertised if it was 15% off.

Greg R Bradley
10-28-2015, 10:18 PM
I think it depends on what the original price is. The "sales" have been discounted off the list price and $489 is well below the list price. At the sale at one of the local providers it was $479 and the PM2800B was about $100 off the price he was talking about being the killer deal at zoro with 25% off. It just depends where you are starting. $489 is already a big discount from list.
I'm always more comfortable dealing with a reputable seller than trying to save a few bucks. If you are going to get it below $489, it is going to be almost nothing less. I'd worry more about sales tax and freight at that discount.

Frederick Skelly
10-29-2015, 9:18 PM
Thanks guys! I made some calls and learned a couple things today.

First, the $489 price that everyone is carrying for this tool is what's called Minimum Advertised Price ("MAP"). That's why it's less than list and yet not "on sale".

They also suspect a sale on JET and Powermatic will come between now and Christmas. So watch your favorite power tool dealer for sales. They suspect the sale will be 10-15% off MAP.

Fred