PDA

View Full Version : Walnut crotch bowl/vessel question

Ricc Havens
10-27-2015, 4:31 PM
I am turning a bowl from a small walnut crotch. I thought I was going to be able to turn both piths from the "Y" part of the crotch away/ But one will be left. The bowl/vessel will about 5-1/2" deep and about 6" across. The sides are 1/4" but I goofed on measuring the bottom thickness after I finished turning off the chuck foot. Didn't turn enough off so the bottom is about 5/8".

Question is: if I coat it with Watco Danish oil will the oil allow the pith to dry without cracking and the thicker bottom to dry slow enough to avoid cracking?

Thanks
Ricc Havens
Elkhart, IN

Dennis Ford
10-27-2015, 9:29 PM
I would say that you have a good chance on the pith in side of vessel. I would worry about the thick bottom, can you mount it on a jamb chuck and relieve the bottom from the outside?

Thomas Canfield
10-27-2015, 9:31 PM
I soaked/wiped a Bradford Pear endgrain piece turned to final thickness about a year back with a Danish Oil type finish after green turning thin, but with a thick bottom. I was pleased that there was no cracking, but there was some warpage and piece had to be hand sanded for final finish. The oil will help slow any drying and possibly avoid cracking, and I would think that a very liberal saturation and then wipe would help.

robert baccus
10-27-2015, 11:35 PM
Maybe a coat of endsealer wax.

Tom Giacomo
10-28-2015, 2:21 AM
I would put it in a brown paper bag for a couple of weeks.

Mark Greenbaum
10-28-2015, 7:19 AM
I agree with Dennis, above. Jam chuck it and turn the excess thickness off of the bottom, and at least get closer to uniform wall/bottom thickness. Also seal with Danish oil or even Tru-Oil (I use DNA/Shellac mixture), and that may slow the evaporation of the internal moisture to help prevent the shrinkage and cracking. Maybe sculpt out the pith from the rim. If had perfectly round oak bowls (from 365 year old Burr Oak) go wonky due to moisture and pith on the rims. I've learned the hard way.

Ricc Havens
10-28-2015, 3:26 PM
Well guys thanks for all the ideas. I borrowed a friend's vac chuck and was able to reduce the bottom thickness some. The sides had already started to warp so I couldn't get the bottom thin enough as I was trying to keep the bottom proportionate to the width of the whole bowl. I would have had to blended the curve of the sides more tapering the side toward the bottom but couldn't due too much of that due to the warpage already happening. But overall I was able to take about 1/4" more off the bottom. I will post pics after a few weeks of drying and applying the finish (and hopefully no cracking!).

Thanks
Ricc