PDA

View Full Version : Free 3D Modeling s/w

Graham Taylor
10-27-2015, 4:13 PM
Does anyone know of a basic (read cheep or free) 3D modeling s/w package I can import a coral file into so I can see what a box I have designed looks like prior to cutting?

Cheers

Lee DeRaud
10-27-2015, 4:28 PM
Most 3D modeling SW is not CD-friendly, certainly none of the cheaper ones.
I've used EZMetrics (http://www.unleash.com/ezmetrics/) to make pseudo-3D drawings of assemblies...not free but reasonable.

Dave Gates
10-27-2015, 4:31 PM
I've been told Blender works OK. But like Lee said, it may not be Corel friendly

Bill George
10-27-2015, 4:52 PM
Does anyone know of a basic (read cheep or free) 3D modeling s/w package I can import a coral file into so I can see what a box I have designed looks like prior to cutting?
Cheers

Most 3D modeling programs require a STL or SVG file, FreeCAD can take those. I don't think Corel can Export STL, maybe SVG scalable vector graphics.

Dan Hintz
10-27-2015, 5:14 PM
CorelDraw is a vector-based file type, but you're looking for a true 3D file format (the earlier suggestion for Blender is a good one). The two file types are not comparable, so you'll essentially be starting over. If you want to turn flat layouts into 3D models, I would suggest something designed specifically for that, such as AutoCAD 3D plug-ins for packaging design. Blender itself is meant more for "organic" 3D design, so still not likely what you truly want, but at least it's 3D... I do not know if they have a package design plug-in for it, though.

Lee DeRaud
10-27-2015, 5:21 PM
Most 3D modeling programs require a STL or SVG file, FreeCAD can take those. I don't think Corel can Export STL, maybe SVG scalable vector graphics.X7 seems to export SVG ok...I recall having odd issues with X4.

Ian Johnson
10-27-2015, 6:49 PM
You can look into Onshape, which is free, browser-based, full featured CAD. If you export from Corel as DXF you will be able to import it into just about any 3D modeling or CAD program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLQ5EMPRZo

Bill George
10-27-2015, 7:39 PM
You can look into Onshape, which is free, browser-based, full featured CAD. If you export from Corel as DXF you will be able to import it into just about any 3D modeling or CAD program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLQ5EMPRZo

That's kind of what I do, either create in Corel or AutoCAD LT 2008 and export as DXF and take into FreeCAD convert to SVG and then take into AutoCAD 123D Design and extrude into a 3D part. Now with Fusion 360 I can just Import a DXF and do the conversion and the rest in it.

Ian Johnson
10-27-2015, 11:13 PM
That's kind of what I do, either create in Corel or AutoCAD LT 2008 and export as DXF and take into FreeCAD convert to SVG and then take into AutoCAD 123D Design and extrude into a 3D part. Now with Fusion 360 I can just Import a DXF and do the conversion and the rest in it.

I generally do the opposite- draw and extrude the shapes in CAD, with a lot of drawing done in relation to other parts that have been positioned in 3D. Once the design is done, I pull clean DXFs from the faces of each part for layout in Corel. If I try to design in 2D and keep track of 3D relationships in my head, I will always miss some spot where two parts try to occupy the same space.

Graham Taylor
10-28-2015, 1:10 AM
Thanks for the help, I will check out the ideas mentioned when I have time later.