PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone inlet / outlet positioning......

Roy Wall
08-29-2005, 8:31 PM
Hey SMC,

Got some packages from "brown" today!!

Before I go too far - I would like your input. The outlet to filter was drawn up by Onieda to head out the same way the "INLET AIR" was coming... (parallel with the window wall). So, I've got it sitting this way. This is perhaps the most compact footprint.

Now, my manual says the machine will "SEEM QUIETER" if the filter is "farthest away from you and your machines". So, is it worth the trouble of yanking this down, sliding the brackets farther out (to the right in photo), so that the outlet filter air will be directly in the corner - and thus "farthest" away from me while running??? Then the system would have the inlet and outlets basically 180* (straight line) from each other.???

I could also 90* the outlet to the other corner, but this doesn't really gain me any "sound distance"...??!!

Jim O'Dell
08-29-2005, 8:36 PM
Congrats on the Brown, or is that, Yellow deliivery??
My question would be how hard will it be to get to the filters to clean them when the time comes if you change the current set up, with the cyclone body in place? If no big deal, go ahead and do it now. If any extra hassle at all, leave it be. Jim.

Jim Becker
08-29-2005, 8:51 PM
You'd have to move the whole thing a couple of feet to accommodate the filter in the corner. That's not a bad thing if the change doesn't present hassles with transitioning from your duct work to the cyclone (more curves, etc)...you want a straight shot into the inlet for a few feet at a minimum. I doubt you'll find much "real" difference in the sound levels either way and would probably keep the machine in the corner, myself. If you want real noise reduction, building an enclosure around the system with a baffled air return is the best solution.

Chris Fite
08-29-2005, 11:04 PM
As much trouble as it has been to install my gorilla, I would not take it down if it were on fire. I installed mine with the outlet aimed as much away as possible, based upon what Oneida had in its booklet. It wound up much farther from the corner where I originally intended to install it to accommodate the filter.

I did mount mine right up at the ceiling. Installing the motor and blower were not as much trouble as the vortex chamber and the cone.

Bill Lewis
08-30-2005, 5:56 AM
I'm with Chris, Now that it' up, I wouldn't move it. I have the 2 HP comm. unit from "O". I installed in in the corner with the outlet 90 deg from the inlet. I still don't think it's all that loud. I think the setup you did is also more compact, and to me at least, is more important.

John Miliunas
08-30-2005, 8:10 AM
I'm going to go with Jim B. on this one. If at all possible, try to isolate with an enclosure. Sticking the filter in the corner will make it a pain for maintainance. If you're not in the position to enclose the whole thing, I would, at least, try to put some sound-absorbing material on the walls & ceiling immediately surrounding it. Having it in a corner is typically the most efficient for folks but, think "Bose speakers". Much of the same thing is happening in the corner with any type of "noise maker". A lot of the overwhelming noise in your shop will be what's reflected out of that corner, in addition to the DC's inherent volume. Something to consider...:) BTW, a BIG congrats on the new acquisition! Cyclones are THE way to go and you've got a nice one!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
08-30-2005, 8:48 AM
Having it in a corner is typically the most efficient for folks but, think "Bose speakers". Much of the same thing is happening in the corner with any type of "noise maker". A lot of the overwhelming noise in your shop will be what's reflected out of that corner, in addition to the DC's inherent volume.

I meant to mention that, John...but just plain forgot. Thanks, because it's a very good point. Corners do amazing things, especially to low frequencies! (Exactly why I have my little speakers in the shop placed where they are...to take advantage of the bass-boost....)

Mike Weaver
08-30-2005, 9:15 AM
I meant to mention that, John...but just plain forgot. Thanks, because it's a very good point. Corners do amazing things, especially to low frequencies! (Exactly why I have my little speakers in the shop placed where they are...to take advantage of the bass-boost....)

I guess this is related then - has anyone tried using those large triangular acoustical foam corner pads to reduce sound from their DC?

Like these:
http://www.allnoisecontrol.com/products/TriangularBassTrap.cfm
(or something similar)

Thanks,
-Mike

Jim Becker
08-30-2005, 9:26 AM
Mike, I haven't tried them, but they are used extensively in the recording industry to help dampen excessive low frequencies caused by room environment. Of course, this stuff isn't inexpensive, despite the fact that it probably costs pennies to make!

Roy Wall
08-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys for all the info.......

Since filter cleaning will be easier - I won't bury it in the corner. I'll just leave "AS IS" and run it. The smallest footprint is advantageous for more storage / hanging space around it.

If need be - I'll worry about more "sound insulation" later. I can always slip panels around / behind the "clone" as needed......

Today I"ll try to assemble the rest of the cyclone. I will probably need to build a llittle "shelf" to rest the storage bin on too.