PDA

View Full Version : Large rush order scam

Tammy Arnott
10-27-2015, 1:59 PM
Hi all. Just wanted to pass along some info on a scam. I received a text saying someone needed me to engrave 500 mugs and 500 plates for a birthday party. My alarm bells went off immediately - who has that kind of birthday party? and who texts in that size of an order? - but I thought I'd play along in case it was just some rich guy with nothing better to spend his money on.

It looks like there are several different scams that are hitting print shops and others in small- to medium-sized manufacturing businesses where a large orders sometimes makes you mute your inner doubt. Most of what I found were shipping scams where they paid you for a rush order with a stolen credit card.

The "customer" is completely unconcerned about the art, and he needed the items in hand in 10 days. He's eager to pay me and hasn't even asked to see a proof. He pestered me every few hours until 2 am Friday night, then told me they'd talk to me again on Monday after I asked him for more details on the type of plate. Kind of a long break to go without answering my questions when you need something urgently. They finally told me they were normal dinner plates and mugs. As you know, there's no way to know what kind of glaze was on them or whether they'd work, so I asked for manufacturer information, color, size, etc. and started to become very difficult to work with. I basically told him if he couldn't give me the manufacturer info, I wouldn't be able to do them. So he sent me an email (from a new outlook.com account) with photos of wooden plates and mugs that he lifted from Pinterest (thank you google image search). Not exactly standard dinner plates, but whatever. I quoted him a price and an outrageous rush fee and he agreed and asked for my address so he could have them shipped. I just played that request off with more questions, and then he mentioned a small "favor" he needed my help with. This large wood plate and mug manufacturer supposedly only deals in cash and he was going to allow me to charge him my fee plus an additional $400 for a business "tip" if I could pay the plate manufacturer for him. So he wanted me to add $5k to the credit card charge for that too. He asked weird questions, like what company I used to process credit cards. Who needs to know that??? I mentioned that if the plate manufacturer only took cash, I couldn't pay them either, and he said they DID accept Western Union and he would up my tip if I'd be willing to do that for him. How very convenient!

I"m annoyed, so I'm just wasting his time now with ridiculous questions and I sent him a ton of bogus forms to fill out, including a credit card authorization form so I'll have a signature and some handwriting samples when I hand all this over to the authorities.

I'm sure most everyone here is too savvy to fall for this type of scam, but I wanted to post just in case!

Tammy

Lee DeRaud
10-27-2015, 2:10 PM
Not quite as (in)famous as the "Nigerian prince" scam, but nearly as old.

Mike Troncalli
10-27-2015, 3:57 PM
Yep, had one of those a few years back.. It only took about 2 emails to figure out it was a scam.. Told him I thought he was a scammer and never heard back. Also had sometime try a Craigslist scam last year when I sold my old laser.. Said he would have a delivery person come by the next day with a money order.. Same thing. He didn't want any technical info about the machine, nothing.. Emailed him that I though this was a scam as well and I would only release it if they had cash on hand. Used bills... Never heard back...

Ron Sleeman
10-27-2015, 4:27 PM
We had one about 3 years ago, like Lee's "Nigerian prince". We took the info from where to send it, plus got a credit card number. Then reported to the RCMP. Found out from the RCMP it was a real card number & the card holder did not know the number was being used. As the RCMP that phoned us back, said The only use it once for a big order then sell it to some one else. The RCMP officer gave our phone number to the card hold, who in returned call us to thank us for call it in.

Kev Williams
10-27-2015, 8:12 PM
About a year ago I got a phone call from some guy telling me my power was about to be shut off for non-payment. Well lets see, my light bill is paid automatically, I get 2 emails every month for when it's coming due, and that it's been paid, and I check my bank like every other day. The disconcerting thing was in addition to my business name, he knew MY name, although that's not too much of a stretch I suppose...

I kept asking him stupid questions to keep him on the line, went to check my bills, and then I finally told him "That should be long enough for a trace..."

**click**

;)

Joe Pelonio
10-27-2015, 8:21 PM
The one I got was 400 banners for a church. I replied "Yeh, right" and then sent him to the spam filter.

Allan Speers
10-27-2015, 8:41 PM
The one I got was 400 banners for a church. I replied "Yeh, right" and then sent him to the spam filter.

Yes, they love to pretend to be either clergy, or in the military.

Mayo Pardo
11-09-2015, 3:25 PM
Here's another bogus (order request) email - I've received several very similarly worded emails.
There's so many things wrong about it that it's hard to believe anyone would reply seriously to it.
__________________________________________________ ___

Dear Customer,

This is Alex Hare, i send this inquiry to your company in regards to order some ( SPILL SIGN ) and i will be more happy if you can email me with the size and Prices that you have for sale as well...Please let me know if you do accept credit card as a form of payment, and that will be pick up at your location..Hope to read back from you soon.

With kind regards
Alex Hare

Jack Clague
11-09-2015, 5:51 PM
Seems you guys in the US get hit hard with scams, luckily us over here across the pond don't get it as often but it does happen, I haven't had one yet but thanks for the heads up, being new to the industry its good to know to keep watch for these things.

Bill Cunningham
11-28-2015, 10:02 PM
I get one or two of these a month.. Also with the big influx of domains that seem to be for the exclusive use of spammers like .top, .xyz, .race, .download and a dozen more. My spam filter automatically marks them all as junk, auto forwards them to Spamcop and deletes them. I never even see them.