PDA

View Full Version : Curious grain pattern

Ben Pierce
10-26-2015, 8:35 PM
Hello Friends,

Today I cut down this nearly-dead red oak. It was badly damaged seven years ago in a huge ice storm and has produced less foliage each year since. I decided to down it before the wood rotted and the tree became hazardous to my family out in the yard.

I had been, and still am, undecided as to whether this tree will be mostly firewood, bowl blanks, or lumber. I was stunned by this grain pattern in the freshly cut log. Unfortunately I only have this end grain photo at the moment. Is this early spalting or some other phenomenon? I've worked with quite a bit of red oak and have not seen this kind of curl in the end grain. I can take better photos tomorrow if anyone has an idea.

Ben

Lee Schierer
10-26-2015, 9:06 PM
That might make some interesting wood to turn or even flat saw. I've had some really pretty curly red oak before that was nice to look at.

Mike Schuch
10-26-2015, 11:05 PM
I would definitely investigate further! Peel a decent sized flat spot on the side and see what you get. Make sure to post a picture, I would like to see what is hidden under the bark!

Morey St. Denis
10-27-2015, 12:37 AM
Has the potential to look quite Purdy. Drag an extension cord out there for your portable power planer and smooth over a section of that stump, then wet it with some non-polar solvent, immediately followed by another picture. That should better show the true figure and any staining or spalting. Likewise, as previously suggested, take a saw blade followed by a planer, to check out the look of flat-sawn grain. There certainly are some very irregular annular growth rings to be seen. What is an approximate scale or log diameter shown with your image? Could be well worth your effort!

Randy Red Bemont
10-27-2015, 7:06 AM
Looks like it could be interesting.

Red

Jim Dwight
10-27-2015, 9:22 AM
If it is starting to rot (spalt), it will be soft. If the areas that look unusual are not soft, then it is definitely worth making something out of. Figured grain in oak is unusual but happens. The stump and crotches are prime places to look. I've never seen it out of those areas but I am not a huge expert. I am pretty sure there are trees with figure in the trunk of the tree.

Dick Strauss
10-27-2015, 10:54 AM
Even though red oak is my least favorite wood to turn, I'd be interested in turning a chunk if you've got something of an odd size that doesn't fit your needs. It definitely looks promising!

Ben Pierce
10-27-2015, 11:12 PM
Ok, will take some better photos by the weekend and share. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ben Pierce
01-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Hi Gang- Sorry I abandoned this thread. I hadn't had time to do anything with that log until yesterday, when I finally had it milled. The lumber was ok (and plentiful), but nothing fancier than red oak boards. I think that exquisite look in the end grain must have been the result of different rates of drying at the surface.